Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests

Leisure and Sports

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Leisure and Sports
Post by Erls   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Erls
Commander

Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:09 pm

With the 'new' technology being introduced throughout Charis, I am wondering how the sporting scene has developed. In particular, I am curious about whether or not the inner circle would "push" along the invention/growth/development of sports such as skiing (downhill), cycling, and golf. Full disclosure, I enjoy all three hence by interest.

Reason why: All three of these sports are, or can be, considered "middle-class" sports. While bikes are widely used in lieu or cars, the sport is much more of a middle class endeavor. Same with downhill skiing and golfing. The equipment requires an investment, and skiing and golfing in particular take a degree of dedication and patience to become good at and really enjoy. The development of these sports would help create a true leisure/recreation economy - and all that goes with it. Charis (Duke Delthak) could introduce the concept of PTO and encourage his employees to travel and see new sights. While intra-island travel is still a bit far, with the trains it would be entirely possible for someone in Tellesburg to get to South Charis (ski resorts?) within a day and enjoy a vacation. This would spur non-religious based travel, resorts, restaurants, and the like. A growing service-based economy, in other words, that increases the quality of life. Finally, these activities would all support the spread of smaller manufacturers and small-business (independent owner) shops.

As a fun aside.. Imagine some of the ski resorts Chisholm could have? Or even the export of skiing to the United Provinces. Steam powered chairlifts are definitely within the technological capability of Safehold, and they could even do steam powered Snowcats (interesting way to introduce tracked vehicles!).

As far as cycling goes, imagine the possibility of an Empire wide Pro Tour? Le Tour de Charis, il Giro d'Emerald, La Vuelta de Corisande, or the Tour of Chisholm, The Crown could 'encourage' each arm of the services (Navy, Marines, Army, Balloon Corp) to sponsor a team composed of service members, while major manufacturers/companies also sponsor teams.

And Golf? One could probably build some pretty fantastic courses throughout the Charisian Empire. Mountain courses, ocean-front courses, etc.

Perhaps I'd just personally enjoy reading a scene where a visiting dignitary is shocked to see a bike race, or be invited to go skiing. And then the realization that the people of Charis are actually spending millions a year on leisurely pursuits and entire industries have been created around those pursuits.
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by Morden   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:18 am

Morden
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:28 am

Erls wrote:With the 'new' technology being introduced throughout Charis, I am wondering how the sporting scene has developed. In particular, I am curious about whether or not the inner circle would "push" along the invention/growth/development of sports such as skiing (downhill), cycling, and golf. Full disclosure, I enjoy all three hence by interest.

Reason why: All three of these sports are, or can be, considered "middle-class" sports. While bikes are widely used in lieu or cars, the sport is much more of a middle class endeavor. Same with downhill skiing and golfing. The equipment requires an investment, and skiing and golfing in particular take a degree of dedication and patience to become good at and really enjoy. The development of these sports would help create a true leisure/recreation economy - and all that goes with it. Charis (Duke Delthak) could introduce the concept of PTO and encourage his employees to travel and see new sights. While intra-island travel is still a bit far, with the trains it would be entirely possible for someone in Tellesburg to get to South Charis (ski resorts?) within a day and enjoy a vacation. This would spur non-religious based travel, resorts, restaurants, and the like. A growing service-based economy, in other words, that increases the quality of life. Finally, these activities would all support the spread of smaller manufacturers and small-business (independent owner) shops.

As a fun aside.. Imagine some of the ski resorts Chisholm could have? Or even the export of skiing to the United Provinces. Steam powered chairlifts are definitely within the technological capability of Safehold, and they could even do steam powered Snowcats (interesting way to introduce tracked vehicles!).

As far as cycling goes, imagine the possibility of an Empire wide Pro Tour? Le Tour de Charis, il Giro d'Emerald, La Vuelta de Corisande, or the Tour of Chisholm, The Crown could 'encourage' each arm of the services (Navy, Marines, Army, Balloon Corp) to sponsor a team composed of service members, while major manufacturers/companies also sponsor teams.

And Golf? One could probably build some pretty fantastic courses throughout the Charisian Empire. Mountain courses, ocean-front courses, etc.

Perhaps I'd just personally enjoy reading a scene where a visiting dignitary is shocked to see a bike race, or be invited to go skiing. And then the realization that the people of Charis are actually spending millions a year on leisurely pursuits and entire industries have been created around those pursuits.


I suspect that will evolve naturally in time on its own, Charis is still fairly early on in the industrial revolution. and it wasnt until it had progressed quite far in our own history that the lower and middle classes had excess revenue to spend on leisure. Once the wages for the people on the lowest end of the spectrum start to hit the right plateau then there will be enormous potential for things like you've mentioned... But I think they are still a decade or two shy of the mark.
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by Castenea   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

Posts: 655
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:21 pm
Location: MD

Morden wrote:I suspect that will evolve naturally in time on its own, Charis is still fairly early on in the industrial revolution. and it wasnt until it had progressed quite far in our own history that the lower and middle classes had excess revenue to spend on leisure. Once the wages for the people on the lowest end of the spectrum start to hit the right plateau then there will be enormous potential for things like you've mentioned... But I think they are still a decade or two shy of the mark.

I would expect that much of that should already be happening. By the end of Trials and tribulations Bicycles had been around for at least a decade having been introduced at least two books earlier. In our time line bicycles appeared during the 1870's as pneumatic tires were developed, new processes brought the cost of tubular steel down significantly, and advances in bearings (ball bearing development?) came together to create a form of transport the well to do city dweller could afford. It did not take a decade for the first organized bicycle races to be promoted.
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:58 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6253
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

I actually see a rise in spectator sports pretty soon. I can see road automotive races catch on pretty quickly. Sure Charis will begin the events, but Harchong will truly embrace the dragon-less carriage. Seriously, Delthak's Boisseau Motive Works or BMW will be well spring for the popular races.

I can see BMW becoming a founding member of HASCAR (Harchong Association of Stock Automotive Carriage Racing) with chapters and different classes of race vehicles all over Harchong. Wouldn't be surprised if those crazies in Omar didn't turn out to be natural race car daredevils and those effete Cheshirites turn out some seriously calculating drivers.

Btw, that will be how diesel gets developed. Some Harchong speed junkie wants to make his race car go faster or at least accelerate more quickly. Once that happens, diesel planes are quick to follow.
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:19 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6253
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Then we'll see a plethora of popular entertainers arise all over the Empire of Charis. Not only will they have the classical entertainers that the Crown has supported for generations, but there will be new genres of music and entertainment. Bands will be smaller and use fewer instruments to entertain in local bars and pubs. The sorts of places the working folks frequent.

Those places will have all sorts of novelty games like darts. I actually see those sorts of establishments opening up just about everywhere as workers look to spend their money. Restaurants, bars, theaters, auditoriums, stadiums and every sort of venue where people can gather to watch a spectacle will sprout up everywhere successful factories take root.
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:48 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2872
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

At a similar point in Britain's development the biggest change to leisure was the railways.
The better off workers and small business people could now afford to "Go on holidays". Places like Brighton developed rapidly to meet the demand.
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:58 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6253
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Daryl wrote:At a similar point in Britain's development the biggest change to leisure was the railways.
The better off workers and small business people could now afford to "Go on holidays". Places like Brighton developed rapidly to meet the demand.


Yeah, I can see middle class Chisholmians wintering in the sun baked beaches of Zebediah and the wealthier Old Charisians taking up skiing in the Duchy of Eastshare.
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6253
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Ooooooh! The aristocrats will have their own sports and spectacles.

https://seagifts.com/amcupboattop.html
I can see those rich folks wanting to keep the idea of sail-craft alive. I can see rich sailing enthusiasts buying a J class yacht and employing teams to race them. Those sorts of schooners and Bermuda rigs are fast and big enough to have the owner and select passengers ride along with the racing crew.

I can see Dohlar's aristocrats vying for honors in the Empire's Cup. I am sure Cayleb can offer a suitable cash prize for the winner of this quadrennial (4 years) or quinquennial (5 years) event.

Not to mention the annual Zhynkau to Gorath automotive rally open to anyone who wants to race their dragonless carriage from Zhynkau to Gorath. King Rahnayld offer the Thirsk Cup to the winner and a significant monetary prize to boot. That's a 9,000 mile road race to text the best mechanical vehicles.
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by Julia Minor   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Julia Minor
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Hate to nitpick the thread, but "automotive" is the Safehold term for a railroad engine. Racing them would require installing dual (or more) parallel tracks on a course large enough that they could take turns without derailing. "Steam dragons" are what the Safehold equivalent of NASCAR or Formula 1 would be using.

Back on topic, I'd be surprised if bicycle racing hasn't started up by now. We don't have enough information to tell if anyone who isn't named Ahrmahk could afford steam dragon racing, but bicycles wouldn't have become so common if they weren't easily affordable by the working class.

Skiing was already a rich-person sport before the Jihad, or more accurately before Charis started producing so much good steel for the cable bindings that the Army could afford to create entire ski units for winter combat. Most of the Empire of Charis is in warmer areas with minimal snow, but there could easily be ski resorts in Chisholm. For that matter, now that Charis is on good terms with chunks of North Harchong, is there any reason some speculator couldn't set up a ski resort in the UP?
Top
Re: Leisure and Sports
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:22 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6253
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Steam dragon is too long. They'll shorten it to car pretty soon. Short for dragonless carriage or somesuch.
Julia Minor wrote:Hate to nitpick the thread, but "automotive" is the Safehold term for a railroad engine. Racing them would require installing dual (or more) parallel tracks on a course large enough that they could take turns without derailing. "Steam dragons" are what the Safehold equivalent of NASCAR or Formula 1 would be using.

Back on topic, I'd be surprised if bicycle racing hasn't started up by now. We don't have enough information to tell if anyone who isn't named Ahrmahk could afford steam dragon racing, but bicycles wouldn't have become so common if they weren't easily affordable by the working class.

Skiing was already a rich-person sport before the Jihad, or more accurately before Charis started producing so much good steel for the cable bindings that the Army could afford to create entire ski units for winter combat. Most of the Empire of Charis is in warmer areas with minimal snow, but there could easily be ski resorts in Chisholm. For that matter, now that Charis is on good terms with chunks of North Harchong, is there any reason some speculator couldn't set up a ski resort in the UP?
Top

Return to Safehold