Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Wed May 22, 2019 2:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Bob, I like the post. I got a huge kick, and a good laugh, out of it. In a good way. It's a really nice post. When I get the time to do it justice, I'll get back to you.

But first things first. Get my head out of my pants? I'm not the one who reduces an analogy to marriage to something sexual. Unless you're one of those cavemen who think the sanctity of marriage is all bump and grind. The bumps of marriage and the grindstone that is life, that is. See, my mind isn't the one in the gutter. LOL

Besides, I knew long ago the relationship between the League and its founder isn't sexual. She stopped putting out for the hairy ape, a looooong time ago, because her husband became interested mainly in his money, and he was being played like a harp by an invisible woman from the rafters. LOL

For the record. I do not like arguing, in and of itself. I do enjoy debating. Arguing is simply a mechanism of debating. It is annoying when arguing becomes a symptom of a natural reflex action and not a symptom of thinking. The formal discussion is what I seek. Yes, I was a member of the debate team. I simply adore book discussions, where most people, sadly, seem to miss the grist, and the gist.


Wiki wrote:Debate is a process that involves formal discussion on a particular topic. In a debate, opposing arguments are put forward to argue for opposing viewpoints. Debate occurs in public meetings, academic institutions, and legislative assemblies.It is a formal type of discussion, often with a moderator and an audience, in addition to the debate participants.

Logical consistency, factual accuracy and some degree of emotional appeal to the audience are elements in debating, where one side often prevails over the other party by presenting a superior "context" or framework of the issue. In a formal debating contest, there are rules for participants to discuss and decide on differences, within a framework defining how they will do it.


You claim I fail to address the text at all, but I do. I consider all of the text taken together (see context above) within the entire framework. Some may call it, reading between the lines. What lies between the lines that has always been missed in the forum, without fail, since joining, is human nature. I always find myself pointing out the ever present human element. The human element has invited its entire family and friends into this discussion, yet ye all continue to miss it.

Beowulf was right to lose her warm cozy feelings for her "common law" husband. To be honest, it is natural to fall out of love. It's difficult and oftentimes suicidal to continue to love one who has become unlovable. But, oftentimes, a spouse attempts to leave the relationship too late or incorrectly, like Beowulf. But she was wrong for trying to poison him with treachery. Attempted murder (of her entire founding) and sometimes possibly treason, is a crime of passion. For example, the decision not to sit on that Dispatch Boat was symptomatic of the crime of passion of a scorned woman.

I find it rather interesting that a reader can become so enamored with a character that they become oblivious to right and wrong, out of such sheer passion for the character. And blind loyalty. We humans can become self-destructive and make an ass out of ourselves when our hearts become involved. I'm not immune to it either, being human. It is the driving force behind spousal privilege, where a spouse does not have to testify against his better half and end up on the sofa that the wife has now fashioned into a bed of knives. We can become as loyal to our characters. I'm not immune to that either, but I have an uncanny ability to become the character. Not because a couple of English teachers said so. But because they realized it is true. Books, along with life, has always had the power to put me in touch with my emotional side. Emotion has a way of draining the pool of excrement, leaving nothing but truth. Man has a problem understanding her, oftentimes. I never have. I wonder if it is symptomatic of having five sisters. Nah! But I digress.

As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say "I'll be Bach," to compose a tune.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by Joat42   » Wed May 22, 2019 7:53 am

Joat42
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1482
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:01 am
Location: Sweden

cthia wrote:..snip..
But first things first. Get my head out of my pants? I'm not the one who reduces an analogy to marriage to something sexual. Unless you're one of those cavemen who think the sanctity of marriage is all bump and grind. The bumps of marriage and the grindstone that is life, that is. See, my mind isn't the one in the gutter. LOL
..snip..


A couple of posts back:
cthia wrote:"BE :o WULF! WTF! W :o E GIRL! YOU'RE GONNA GIT YER PANTIES RIPPED CLEAN OFF!"


. . .

:roll:

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.


Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Wed May 22, 2019 8:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote:..snip..
But first things first. Get my head out of my pants? I'm not the one who reduces an analogy to marriage to something sexual. Unless you're one of those cavemen who think the sanctity of marriage is all bump and grind. The bumps of marriage and the grindstone that is life, that is. See, my mind isn't the one in the gutter. LOL
..snip..


A couple of posts back:
cthia wrote:"BE :o WULF! WTF! W :o E GIRL! YOU'RE GONNA GIT YER PANTIES RIPPED CLEAN OFF!"


. . .

:roll:


Why dost thou thus . . .

Perhaps if you had an even better example you can draw a straight line between M E T A P H :roll: R S. We've been in this class for a year.

Freshman studies is over for the most of us.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by Joat42   » Wed May 22, 2019 5:21 pm

Joat42
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1482
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:01 am
Location: Sweden

cthia wrote:..snip..
Perhaps if you had an even better example you can draw a straight line between M E T A P H :roll: R S. We've been in this class for a year.
Freshman studies is over for the most of us.

Just pointing out that you words could come directly from the male chauvinist playbook.

It's been an ongoing theme for a long time now, and if you think a metaphor of ripping a women panties off is appropriate in ANY setting you have poor taste and are a male chauvinist to the bone. You may think you aren't but the language you regularly use tells us a different story.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.


Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote:..snip..
Perhaps if you had an even better example you can draw a straight line between M E T A P H :roll: R S. We've been in this class for a year.
Freshman studies is over for the most of us.

Just pointing out that you words could come directly from the male chauvinist playbook.

It's been an ongoing theme for a long time now, and if you think a metaphor of ripping a women panties off is appropriate in ANY setting you have poor taste and are a male chauvinist to the bone. You may think you aren't but the language you regularly use tells us a different story.


Poppycock. You posted it as a response to my reply to Bob that my analogy of marriage isn't sexual. You even rolled your eyes. Man up and grow some chest hairs. (metaphor)

This is an example of an argument induced by a reflex action, and not by thinking. You were caught with your pants down (metaphor). And now you're trying to deny your sophomoric response. I'll leave it at that so your embarrassment won't be total.

For the record . . .

I do not THINK I'm not. I'm CERTAIN of it.

Someone with five outspoken sisters is a male chauvinist? Someone who sheds tears at the drop of a hat is a male chauvinist? You use words you have no clue about. I've been called many things by my friends, chauvinist will never be one of them.

Poor misguided American prudish puritans. It's a metaphor, plain and simple. That has absolutely nothing to do with what you thought. Plain and simple.

Why dost thou thus,
Do you must?


Perhaps my discussions are too cerebral.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri May 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm

cthia wrote:Bob, I like the post. I got a huge kick, and a good laugh, out of it. In a good way. It's a really nice post. When I get the time to do it justice, I'll get back to you.


Eh, mostly you enjoy yanking our chain(s). One of the best books I read as an undergrad was called "Elements of Argument."

It was a sort of handbook for public speakers, including spokespeople, and debaters. Of course, it has probably been out of print since forever. . .

Ha, still in print after all, in the twelth edition.

:D Rob
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Fri May 24, 2019 5:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
cthia wrote:Bob, I like the post. I got a huge kick, and a good laugh, out of it. In a good way. It's a really nice post. When I get the time to do it justice, I'll get back to you.


Eh, mostly you enjoy yanking our chain(s). One of the best books I read as an undergrad was called "Elements of Argument."

It was a sort of handbook for public speakers, including spokespeople, and debaters. Of course, it has probably been out of print since forever. . .

Ha, still in print after all, in the twelth edition.

:D Rob


I don't like jerking chains, but sometimes the dog simply gets too close to danger. Life isn't all black and white. Problems are manifested when people mix the wrong colors, and produce the wrong hue of reality, than it appears in the real world. Crimes of passion arise from completely divergent views from a common denominator. When just one view is totally bereft of the human element and human nature, conditions are ripe for a killing. History is replete with examples: The Holocaust and Slavery in America are two clear points from which to draw a straight line.

But I digress. Perhaps someone will school me as to how the author's (post 1), (post 2) changes this discussion. But be careful. Be verrrry verrrry careful.

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:If after reading RFC's post (which you did, yesterday) . . . SNIP

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Sat May 25, 2019 12:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

This particular conflict is available in two flavors, whose relevance most people miss . . .
  1. Beef with Sol and Manticore
  2. Spicy Beef with Sol and Beowulf

Discontinued: Beef with Beowulf and Sol. Lack of interest.



Consider this: Which is more important to whom? And why.
This is a good example of where two diverging views can spark a crime of passion.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by tlb   » Sat May 25, 2019 12:41 pm

tlb
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 am

cthia wrote:This particular conflict is available in two flavors, whose relevance most people miss . . .
  1. Beef with Sol and Manticore
  2. Spicy Beef with Sol and Beowulf

Discontinued: Beef with Beowulf and Sol. Lack of interest.

Consider this: Which is more important to whom? And why.
This is a good example of where two diverging views can spark a crime of passion.

And the Mesan Alignment is the chef.
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Sat May 25, 2019 1:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:This particular conflict is available in two flavors, whose relevance most people miss . . .
  1. Beef with Sol and Manticore
  2. Spicy Beef with Sol and Beowulf

Discontinued: Beef with Beowulf and Sol. Lack of interest.

Consider this: Which is more important to whom? And why.
This is a good example of where two diverging views can spark a crime of passion.

And the Mesan Alignment is the chef.


:lol:

--------Chef BoyarThee-------
with Solarian Meatballs in our special Karma Sauce


Limit One Per Customer at participating junctions.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top

Return to Honorverse