Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Gun control really, really works.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:57 pm

Joat42
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1514
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:01 am
Location: Sweden

TFLYTSNBN wrote:..snip..
It is not like they could have used a truck.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/eur ... olded.html

The weapons used in the deadliest mass murder ever committed by a single assailant in the US was a match and a pop bottle of gasoline.

Which has zero to do with gun control.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.


Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:36 am

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:38 am

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Joat42 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:..snip..
It is not like they could have used a truck.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/eur ... olded.html

The weapons used in the deadliest mass murder ever committed by a single assailant in the US was a match and a pop bottle of gasoline.

Which has zero to do with gun control.


Rubbish!

It absolutely prooves the point that guns are not the cause of violent deaths. Guns become the instruments of violent death when they are available. If guns are not available, violent people substitute other weapons to kill themselves or others.
Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu May 23, 2019 1:34 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

This one is absolutely priceless!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48379650
Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu May 23, 2019 1:37 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

The Eurotrash will feel validated by this one.

http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/crim ... case-49738

It is easy to understand why he not only refused her but jumped out of a 2nd story window rather than comply.
Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by Eyal   » Fri May 24, 2019 12:29 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: Israel

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Rubbish!

It absolutely prooves the point that guns are not the cause of violent deaths. Guns become the instruments of violent death when they are available. If guns are not available, violent people substitute other weapons to kill themselves or others.


I don't think anyone has said that guns are hhe sole cause of violence. But they do make violent encounters more likely to cause deaths.
Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri May 24, 2019 12:59 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Eyal wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Rubbish!

It absolutely prooves the point that guns are not the cause of violent deaths. Guns become the instruments of violent death when they are available. If guns are not available, violent people substitute other weapons to kill themselves or others.


I don't think anyone has said that guns are hhe sole cause of violence. But they do make violent encounters more likely to cause deaths.



That is a very well reasoned argument. I can't dismiss it.

However; there are other factors involved including crime clearance rates, arrest rates, prosecutorial diligence, conviction rates, incarceration rates and sentence duration.
The US has abysmal crime clearance and arrest rates.
Prosecutions are hampered by a legal system that permits"expert witnesses who commit blatant perjury.
The US also has racial strife that often impedes arrest and prosecution. The Elmer Fudd defense is a classic example.

All of these issues are ignored because the politicians keep the public attention on guns.
Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri May 24, 2019 5:14 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Just FYI, my community has had an enormous number of murdered mothers dumped in fields or along roads or in rivers in recent years. In one case, the car didn't even slow down much less stop before ejecting the still living woman into a guard rail.
The most recent case has been deemed a murder investigation even though the bodies of the mother and three year old son have not yet been found. The suspect lives 4 kilometers from my house and only 2.5 km from my closest property boundary. I recognize him as a member of the local Knights of Pythius lodge, many of whom were conspirators in the illegal marrijunna grow on my property. I also had an encounter with him when I caught him tresspassing on my property to poach elk. He was very confrontational. Came close to getting himself Killed.

I would not be amazed if the police find the bodies of the mother, her son, and maybe the perpetrator's wife who has also gone missing, dumped on my property.

There ought to be a law against dumping the carcasses of murdered mothers and children in fields, along roads or in rivers. Murderers should be required to dump the carcasses of their victims on the court house steps to eliminate the cost of searching for the victims.
Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by Daryl   » Sat May 25, 2019 12:43 am

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2897
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

I'll bite, what's a "Knights of Pythius lodge"? Some secret society?
Top
Re: Gun control really, really works.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat May 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

Daryl wrote:I'll bite, what's a "Knights of Pythius lodge"? Some secret society?

There's an (positive spin) article on it here.
Apparently it schismed after the first iteration refused to let in non-white members (reminiscent of the KKK much?) and so we have the Knights of Pythius and the Colored Knights of Pythius, but several lodges seem to have overcome the racial barrier in the interests of not collapsing due to lack of members.

Not sure what this has to do with gun control, though...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Animal Crossing Dreams at 6E00-00F5-2891
Top

Return to Politics