Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Get well Sharon Weber

Pull up a chair and talk to Sharon about care and feeding of an author, life in the literary world, crochet, or just life in general.
Re: Get well Sharon Weber
Post by KarenH   » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:57 am

KarenH
Ensign

Spinal surgery is very difficult to get over, if it is big enough. My husband has scoliosis and had about a foot of his lower back fused.

Best wishes for a good recovery. My thoughts and prayers go with you both.
Post by Thirdbase   » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by jimsy   » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:24 am

jimsy
Midshipman

Take it easy, I'm certain David will take good care of you until you're back in shape. We all wish you a speedy recovery.
Post by TheMonster   » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:and a pair of Harrington rods (yes, I know; what irony, right?)
You simply must figure out a way for an injury to be treated by a doctor who knows his medical history and makes a comment about how ante-diaspora doctors would use Harrington rods for this situation, then muse that Dr. and Dr. Harrington must be embarrassed to be linked to such primitive medical technology. Either that or have some Verge system that's still using Harrington rods, and have the GA doctor that removes them in favor of modern tech make such comments.
Post by Northstar   » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

jimsy wrote:Take it easy, I'm certain David will take good care of you until you're back in shape. We all wish you a speedy recovery.

May the brightest of God's blessings be upon you both.
Post by KarenH   » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:24 pm

KarenH
Ensign

When my husband had his scoliosis surgery in 1986, he got a double rod system that was newer than the Harrington rods. I forget its name, but the surgeon in Dallas was one of 22 doctors (11 two man teams) who were using the new rods. They were still establishing the protocol. The double rod system does not require a body cast. When Bob had it done, it was so new that the clamp on the bottom of one of the rods broke loose and had to be cut off. The surgeon told us later, that Bob was the last person to get a clamp placed so low.

One other problem with having any foreign body introduced inside your body is that is a place for infection to form 20 years later he got MRSA at the top of one of the rods, which opened a leaking wound on his back. He was treated with a massive amount of antibiotic (the kind that has to be injected very slowly into a PIC line). He had two courses of that, during which I learned another nursing skill. It didn't clear up right after that, and was scheduled for surgery to have the rods removed. Fortunately, the day before we went to the pre-surgery exam, it cleared up. But he still has to take antibiotic for the rest of his life and is classified as an Immune System compromised person.

I pray nothing like that happens to Sharon, but it is one of the side-effects that the doctors don't dwell on when talking about prospective surgery, so I share this story with everyone.

Best wishes for a no-problem recovery.

TheMonster wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:and a pair of Harrington rods (yes, I know; what irony, right?)
You simply must figure out a way for an injury to be treated by a doctor who knows his medical history and makes a comment about how ante-diaspora doctors would use Harrington rods for this situation, then muse that Dr. and Dr. Harrington must be embarrassed to be linked to such primitive medical technology. Either that or have some Verge system that's still using Harrington rods, and have the GA doctor that removes them in favor of modern tech make such comments.
Post by Montrose Toast   » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Montrose Toast
Commodore

I wish your better half well.
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by Renegade13   » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Renegade13
Commander

Please pass my best wishes to the Lady Sharon for a complete and rapid recovery!!
Post by dscott8   » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:29 am

dscott8
Commodore

Yet another contributor to the waves of healing karma directed toward Sharon.
Post by Rod   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Rod
Lieutenant Commander

My thoughts and prayers go out to the both of you.

Return to Sharon's Corner