Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Get well Sharon Weber

Pull up a chair and talk to Sharon about care and feeding of an author, life in the literary world, crochet, or just life in general.
Get well Sharon Weber
Post by pokermind   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Hi all,

For those who don't know Sharon Weber had surgery and is now back home recovering, see:

https://twitter.com/davidweber1

So let us at BuFans send her best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sharon you are in my prayers and here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Poker

<Add my mind-soothing, Mange.>
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Re: Get well Sharon Weber
Post by Lunan   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

Agreed, best wishes to all. A family and its members health is the most important thing, so Best Wishes and i lift a glass to you being in good health
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Get well soon, Sharon!

Howard T. Map-addict

pokermind wrote:Hi all,

For those who don't know Sharon Weber had surgery and is now back home recovering, see:

Poker

Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Lunan wrote:Agreed, best wishes to all. A family and its members health is the most important thing, so Best Wishes and i lift a glass to you being in good health

Thanks, everbody.

We've known for about 20 years that we'd have to have these surgeries (or something like them) eventually. I say "about 20 years" because it was almost exactly 20 years ago that she had the first pair of surgeries, and her surgeon then told her that there was a 70% chance she'd require more surgery later. (Of course, the first night she and I ever spent alone together she was in a drugged stupor --- morphine --- from her third spinal surgery to fused vertebrae in her neck which had been damaged in an auto accident when she was only about 17. But I digress.)

The problem is scoliosis, which was diagnosed originally when she was in high school. She managed to put off the first operations for about 15 years by fanatical swimming, biking, etc., which used her back muscles to help stabilize the spine. When she finally had the first two surgeries (necessary because they had to come in frontally to reach her lower spine and from the back to reach her upper spine), they scheduled them about a month apart and the surgeons installed two bars linked by six screws (each about 4" long) and a pair of Harrington rods (yes, I know; what irony, right?). This time she had part of the Harrington rods removed, the last three vertebrae in her her lower back were fused (her entire spine is now fused from the tops of her shoulders to her hips), and three new rods (and several more screws) were installed. Total surgery time: just over 22 hours, in one 6-1/2-hour and one 16-hour surgery three days apart. Anyone out there who's ever had that sort of bone surgery will appreciate just how much that takes out of you . . . and how much courage it takes to face it with a smile and a smart-alec remark to someone you love. Especially when you've already been through it once.

Sharon has that kind of courage, and I have never been prouder of her.

I am also profoundly grateful for the strides medicine in general and spinal surgery in particular have made in the last 20 years. Last time, she was in a full body brace for the better part of a year and then in a short "hard brace" for another six or seven months. This time, they sent her home from the hospital only 5 days after the second surgery, with no brace at all, and the fusions didn't require the removal of bone grafts from her hip and ribs the way the first one did. We've been truly blessed in this whole process, no matter how wearisome (and painful for her) it's been, and we deeply, deeply appreciate all the prayers and good wishes which have come our way.

Thanks, guys.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by pokermind   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Mange, <Get Well Soon.> Image "Croon-purr, croon-purr, croon-purr, ... croon-purr."

<Hope this makes you smile, but don't laugh that might hurt!> Image
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by BobG   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:58 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

pokermind wrote:Hi all,

Poker

I hope you feel better soon, Sharon. I wish you well. Take it easy on your recovery.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Hearty wishes from all of us Sharon. hope You are feeling better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Its not paranoia if its justified.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Wish you the speediest of recoveries Sharon.
Let David run around for you instead of for celery for a while. ^_^
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 pm

namelessfly

I had absolutely no idea that Sharon Weber had these health issues. My sympathies and best wishes to both Mr and Mrs Weber. May God keep her and comfort her as he gives her quick healing. BTW, she is blessed to have a husband who honors his vow to "keep her for better or worse."
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:57 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

God bless you and Sharon, David!

It's been over 5 years since you both were so gracious with your combined time to me at a 'con, you were such a team then despite Sharon's need to rest; I'd hate to see anything especially such medical concerns get in the way of your joy together.

My brother had a herniated disk operation around 36 years ago, and sometimes he's still in considerable pain; yet Sharon's fused spine seems almost infinitely worse.

I pray once she's recovered, that she will be able to still enjoy physical activities, especially with you and the children.

I'm impressed with your courage, granted its in no small part due to Sharon's courage, but the recovery time is going to be a downer for you both NTM the kids.

Besides our prayers is there anything we fans can to do to avoid raising your frustration level, besides never mentioning certain topics? G:-)

May God bless and keep you both happy and united despite these tests that his best often undergo.

L

runsforcelery wrote:
Lunan wrote:Agreed, best wishes to all. A family and its members health is the most important thing, so Best Wishes and i lift a glass to you being in good health

Thanks, everbody.

We've known for about 20 years that we'd have to have these surgeries (or something like them) eventually. I say "about 20 years" because it was almost exactly 20 years ago that she had the first pair of surgeries, and her surgeon then told her that there was a 70% chance she'd require more surgery later. (Of course, the first night she and I ever spent alone together she was in a drugged stupor --- morphine --- from her third spinal surgery to fused vertebrae in her neck which had been damaged in an auto accident when she was only about 17. But I digress.)

The problem is scoliosis, which was diagnosed originally when she was in high school. She managed to put off the first operations for about 15 years by fanatical swimming, biking, etc., which used her back muscles to help stabilize the spine. When she finally had the first two surgeries (necessary because they had to come in frontally to reach her lower spine and from the back to reach her upper spine), they scheduled them about a month apart and the surgeons installed two bars linked by six screws (each about 4" long) and a pair of Harrington rods (yes, I know; what irony, right?). This time she had part of the Harrington rods removed, the last three vertebrae in her her lower back were fused (her entire spine is now fused from the tops of her shoulders to her hips), and three new rods (and several more screws) were installed. Total surgery time: just over 22 hours, in one 6-1/2-hour and one 16-hour surgery three days apart. Anyone out there who's ever had that sort of bone surgery will appreciate just how much that takes out of you . . . and how much courage it takes to face it with a smile and a smart-alec remark to someone you love. Especially when you've already been through it once.

Sharon has that kind of courage, and I have never been prouder of her.

I am also profoundly grateful for the strides medicine in general and spinal surgery in particular have made in the last 20 years. Last time, she was in a full body brace for the better part of a year and then in a short "hard brace" for another six or seven months. This time, they sent her home from the hospital only 5 days after the second surgery, with no brace at all, and the fusions didn't require the removal of bone grafts from her hip and ribs the way the first one did. We've been truly blessed in this whole process, no matter how wearisome (and painful for her) it's been, and we deeply, deeply appreciate all the prayers and good wishes which have come our way.

Thanks, guys.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Sharon's Corner