Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat May 02, 2020 3:24 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun May 17, 2020 1:04 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Post by n7axw   » Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:https://newsregister.com/article?articleTitle=vineyard-sentencing-laxity-does-public-a-disservice--1589567889--37152--editorials

The crime is every bit as awful as the editorial implied. Confronted with the aweful horror of what happened, the temptation is to try the kid as an adult, lock him up and throw away the key.

And yet... There is a reason why the juvenile system is different than for adults. That is simply because they are not adults. The human brain is not fully mature until until the mid twenties. The part of the brain to mature last has to do with judgment and risk assessment. That means that justice for adolescents cannot be applied the same way as for adults because the degree of responsibility they are capable of assuming is less.

In the editorial, the comment was made, "it was all about him." We'll, yes... he was 15 at the time. I found myself wondering just what it was about being 15 the editorialist didn't understand. Not all kids are like that, of course. But I'm afraid It's closer to the norm than any of us would find comfortable. And even worse, all too many adults never manage to grow out of it. Being civilized is a learned skill, not one that is naturally acquired.

I cannot say what should happen in this specific situation on the basis of the editorial. But I thought that it needed to be said that matters aren't as simple as the editorial seemed to imply.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun May 17, 2020 5:39 pm

TFLYTSNBN

n7axw wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:https://newsregister.com/article?articleTitle=vineyard-sentencing-laxity-does-public-a-disservice--1589567889--37152--editorials

The crime is every bit as awful as the editorial implied. Confronted with the aweful horror of what happened, the temptation is to try the kid as an adult, lock him up and throw away the key.

And yet... There is a reason why the juvenile system is different than for adults. That is simply because they are not adults. The human brain is not fully mature until until the mid twenties. The part of the brain to mature last has to do with judgment and risk assessment. That means that justice for adolescents cannot be applied the same way as for adults because the degree of responsibility they are capable of assuming is less.

In the editorial, the comment was made, "it was all about him." We'll, yes... he was 15 at the time. I found myself wondering just what it was about being 15 the editorialist didn't understand. Not all kids are like that, of course. But I'm afraid It's closer to the norm than any of us would find comfortable. And even worse, all too many adults never manage to grow out of it. Being civilized is a learned skill, not one that is naturally acquired.

I cannot say what should happen in this specific situation on the basis of the editorial. But I thought that it needed to be said that matters aren't as simple as the editorial seemed to imply.

Don

-

You are of course correct. However; it is encouraging to see the editors of the local paper recognize that the Judicial System has an obligation to hold a criminal accountable and protect the public. Mental health treatment combined with monitoring during a prolonged parole would be in order.

At least Judge Collins isn't stupid enough to accept the "we're old. We don't have time to shoot at children," defense.

The HeyJackass website has an interesting perspective on the Coronavirus.

https://heyjackass.com/home/
Post by Daryl   » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:17 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

If there is still anyone out there who is reading this forum, I thought to revive this topic to mention something that I found interesting.
The trend when Skypeing or whatever video calling is to have a deliberately set up back wall. Academic books, university plaques and such. An Australian newspaper article had a number of different Republican politicians talking in front of their gun walls, mainly semi auto pistols or assault rifles.
What sought of society has their leaders thinking that this is an admirable thing to do?
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:45 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Probably digital overlay in order to hide their collections of My Little Pony and Teletubbies.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by The E   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:13 am

The E
Admiral

Daryl wrote:What sought of society has their leaders thinking that this is an admirable thing to do?

The sort that has elevated the possession and willingness to use tools designed to kill human beings (please try and explain the usefulness of an AR-15 pattern rifle in hunting sports, I'll wait) to a cultural touchstone.

Funny, isn't it, just a couple years ago, footage of people waving guns around proclaiming political messages was seen as scary and something "those terrorists do"....
Post by Arol   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:48 am

Arol
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:
...What sought of society has their leaders thinking that this is an admirable thing to do?

The kind of society espoused by a governor signing into law legislation; reminiscent of Jim Crow, that will disenfranchise segments of his state’s population.
While at the same time making it a criminal offence to offer water and food to those waiting to cast their ballot! This in Georgia known for high temperatures and humidity!!!!
Quite symbolic was the fact that when signing the law the governor had in the background a picture depicting an old slave plantation manor house.
The only thing missing at the ceremony was a red-neck waving the Stars and Bars.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ll-signing
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

We, the free citizens of the United States, will not give up our guns until the terrorists, the criminal gangs, and the government give up theirs.

In America, being in the government does not give you more rights than everybody else. Although our political elitists are bending their every effort to change that.

Damn, I look in here hoping something might have changed and find the same idiots still spewing the same stupid bullshit.
———————————
I used to live on a farm. I know what bullshit smells like.
Post by The E   » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:50 am

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Damn, I look in here hoping something might have changed and find the same idiots still spewing the same stupid bullshit.

We love you too.

Return to Politics