Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

David's Twitter account is down

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
David's Twitter account is down
Post by Theemile   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

This may not be news, but I just noticed his Twitter account is frozen due to hate speech.

What did he say to be labeled "hate speech" other than recite other people's 1st amendment rights?

This is spiraling out of control.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Re: David's Twitter account is down
Post by Donnachaidh   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:38 am

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Which twitter account? His appears to be up just not used https://twitter.com/davidweberbooks

Theemile wrote:This may not be news, but I just noticed his Twitter account is frozen due to hate speech.

What did he say to be labeled "hate speech" other than recite other people's 1st amendment rights?

Post by Theemile   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:22 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

https://twitter.com/davidweber1 - the account attached to the home page of this website.

Donnachaidh wrote:Which twitter account? His appears to be up just not used https://twitter.com/davidweberbooks

Theemile wrote:This may not be news, but I just noticed his Twitter account is frozen due to hate speech.

RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:26 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

To be honest, I'm assuming the issue is Hate speech, all things considered; it just says the account violates Twitter rules. They could think it is an impersonation, or some other rule violation.

Post by Donnachaidh   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Based on what comes up in the Wayback Machine, that account has been suspended for over a year.

Theemile wrote:To be honest, I'm assuming the issue is Hate speech, all things considered; it just says the account violates Twitter rules. They could think it is an impersonation, or some other rule violation.

Post by The E   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:48 pm

The E
Admiral

Yes, something certainly is.

Two things you got wrong. One, @davidweberbooks is the correct account. Compare the tweets there to those found in the wayback machine for @davidweber1 and you'll find the same tweets.
Two, you are assuming that Twitter actually banned RFC. Despite what you may believe, they're not in the habit of doing that, especially not with an account as innocuous as RFCs; what's more likely here is that the account was renamed to more clearly represent RFC and someone at Twitter either failed to setup a redirect correctly or one of Twitters systems changed so that the redirect stopped working.

Twitter, it has to be said, just aren't that great at software.
Post by The E   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:15 pm

The E
Admiral

Also note that, in its most recent attempts to capture the state of the @davidweber1 account, the wayback machine reports that Twitter responded with an http 302 response. That response usually indicates that the requested resource was found, but under a different address; Twitter, in its infinite wisdom, may have reused that code to lead to the "account suspended" page.
Post by The E   » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:10 am

The E
Admiral

And, a final nail in the coffin:

If you look at some of the replies to @davidweberbooks back in 2014 (when RFC was posting as @davidweber1), you'll see this happen:

See that reply there? It's addressed to @davidweber1, but this time Twitter manages to resolve the renaming correctly.

This series of posts was brought to you by my intense dislike for trying to explain technical mistakes by bringing in culture war/cancel culture bullshit.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Well, I saw the Twitter error on the front page of this forum, which I had not noticed before... and I jumped to conclusions, given all that has happened lately.

Yes, I can admit it - I made a mistake; but I don't remember seeing the twitter feed being down until just before I posted the above, So I put 1 and 1 together and got an imaginary number.

So again - apologies.

However, you missed the most important part of my explanation; I was not looking at that old Twitter account out of the blue, I was looking at the Twitter feed on THIS website's home page - which is somehow linked to the (What I now know to be) old Twitter account. Is there any way that the twitter feed on the home page has been down since 2014 and no one noticed?

but really, Shouldn't someone be interested in fixing the David Weber website's twitter feed?

The E wrote:And, a final nail in the coffin:

If you look at some of the replies to @davidweberbooks back in 2014 (when RFC was posting as @davidweber1), you'll see this happen:

See that reply there? It's addressed to @davidweber1, but this time Twitter manages to resolve the renaming correctly.

This series of posts was brought to you by my intense dislike for trying to explain technical mistakes by bringing in culture war/cancel culture bullshit.
Post by The E   » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 am

The E
Admiral

Theemile wrote:However, you missed the most important part of my explanation; I was not looking at that old Twitter account out of the blue, I was looking at the Twitter feed on THIS website's home page - which is somehow linked to the (What I now know to be) old Twitter account. Is there any way that the twitter feed on the home page has been down since 2014 and no one noticed?

but really, Shouldn't someone be interested in fixing the David Weber website's twitter feed?

In theory, yes. But consider this: RFC isn't really using that account. It was last updated in January 2019, and it seems that RFC is singularly uninterested in interacting with Twitter on any substantial basis (and who can blame him); his account isn't even a particularly good source to be kept up to date with upcoming releases from him.
The correct course of action, I feel, would be to remove the twitter plugin from the homepage.

Return to Free-Range Topics...