Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

David Weber/Eric Flint SNERK Youtube interview

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: David Weber/Eric Flint SNERK Youtube interview
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:23 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

The Blurb from Amazon

Amazon wrote:
THE CROWN OF SLAVES SAGA CONTINUES. ADVENTURE AND INTRIGUE IN THE STAR KINGDOM FROM NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHORS DAVID WEBER AND ERIC FLINT.

The Solarian League lies in defeat, crushed by the Grand Alliance of Manticore, Haven, and Grayson.

Obedient to the Alliance's surrender demands, the League is writing a new Constitution, to prevent the reemergence of out-of-control bureaucrats, like the "Mandarins" who led it to disaster. Frontier Security has been disbanded, the Outworlds' have regained control of their own economic destinies, and multiple star systems will soon secede from the League entirely.

Yet the League is — and will remain — the largest, most economically powerful human star nation in existence, and despite the overwhelming evidence that their unelected political leaders were the driving force behind the war, many League citizens deeply resent the fashion in which their star nation — the Solarian League — has been humbled. And those who most resent the Grand Alliance continue to blame Manticore for the nuclear bombardment of the planet Mesa after its surrender. They refuse to accept that the League — and the members of the Grand Alliance — could have been manipulated by a deeply hidden interstellar conspiracy called the Mesan Alignment. The Alignment is only an invention of the Grand Alliance, no more than a mask, a cover, for its own horrific Eridani Violations.

Those Solarians will never accept the "war guilt" of the League, because they know the Grand Alliance was just as bad. Because they deeply resent the way in which the Grand Alliance pretends to be the innocent "good guys." And in the fullness of time, those Solarians will seek vengeance upon their enemies.

Not all Solarians feel that way, but even some of those who accept that there was an interstellar conspiracy cherish doubts about its origins. But it is still out there, and now defeated Solarians and agents of the victorious Alliance must join forces to find it. Even if they don't believe in it, it believes in them.

They must find it and identify it, to prove to revanchist Solarians that there was a conspiracy.

And they must find it and destroy it to end its evil once and for all.

It seem as though it's going to be a winner
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:27 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Those Solarians will never accept the "war guilt" of the League, because they know the Grand Alliance was just as bad. Because they deeply resent the way in which the Grand Alliance pretends to be the innocent "good guys." And in the fullness of time, those Solarians will seek vengeance upon their enemies.

Remind anyone of anything?

>>>>a right bunch of trumpets<<<<
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Those Solarians will never accept the "war guilt" of the League, because they know the Grand Alliance was just as bad. Because they deeply resent the way in which the Grand Alliance pretends to be the innocent "good guys." And in the fullness of time, those Solarians will seek vengeance upon their enemies.

The Harrington Plan was meant to avoid that outcome. But it was never executed all the way through. The war ended much more quickly and with an astounding defeat for the League.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Those Solarians will never accept the "war guilt" of the League, because they know the Grand Alliance was just as bad. Because they deeply resent the way in which the Grand Alliance pretends to be the innocent "good guys." And in the fullness of time, those Solarians will seek vengeance upon their enemies.

The Harrington Plan was meant to avoid that outcome. But it was never executed all the way through. The war ended much more quickly and with an astounding defeat for the League.

Hot damn! Whatta helluva blurb!

I gotta say, the big bad gorilla is gonna go in the weight room and come out a lean, mean, rolling machine. The GA better produce that evidence of a hidden entity, or there will be a Round 2. And what have I argued in a certain Karma thread? Beowulf, you got a date with destiny. You traitorous Beotch!

Thanks! George!

I intend to consume that interview. And I'll be Bach.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Louis R   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:41 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Unless you're an amazing organist, I rather doubt it. Anyway, I suspect your wife would have something to say about the 20 children :)

Sometime in October, BTW, will be the 5th - Baen always releases on the first Tuesday.

cthia wrote:Hot damn! Whatta helluva blurb!

< snip >

Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:Unless you're an amazing organist, I rather doubt it. Anyway, I suspect your wife would have something to say about the 20 children :)

Sometime in October, BTW, will be the 5th - Baen always releases on the first Tuesday.

cthia wrote:Hot damn! Whatta helluva blurb!

< snip >

Unless I come Bach singing a tune. Bach had a beautiful singing voice as well.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Time to sing like Bach. First, to clear my throat.

I like these kinds of interviews, but for one very real reason they oftentimes hit me like a bag of mixed nuts. But for the most part they are very informative.

The mixed nuts come from finding out I've been mispronouncing something for so long. Like my favorite novel in the series Basilisk Station which I have always put the emphasis on the second syllable. Oh well.

Good to find out Manticoran isn't actually Man tick o ran. I was also mispronouncing Cachat, but that I knew. I was even correct about the correct pronunciation.

At any rate, it was amusing to find out that Victor is actually a character from Eric's head. And the giggles about Thandi is amusing. It also seems that Eric is responsible for fleshing out Anton's character. Thanks Eric.

I've often wondered about an author's process of writing. It is amusing to hear Eric say that his first draft is pretty much on the money. And, although readers are familiar with the mechanics, it seems like raw evidence to hear an author actually speak of plot devices.

BTW, iinm, the current collaboration may be titled Out of Alignment.

It is also amusing when David admitted, once upon a time, to having to quickly come up with a title because someone was suggesting When Honor Gets Laid. When Solomon Marchant(?) broached that subject, he got chased around Grayson. LOL

Oh! Eric is also responsible for Katherine Montaigne. For which we all thank him.

Thandi is also of Eric's creation, and she is the plot device Eric spoke of. Which is proof positive that characters can oftentimes write themselves.

Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It is interesting when David and Eric talks about the awful characters of which Pavel Young seems to be among the most detested. I think David refers to him as disgusting aristocratic scum with no redeeming qualities. But don't quote me on that, that may be my own summation of Young getting in the way.

At any rate, I began wondering who he served under. Any leads? I don't recall any mention of any of his COs. Whoever he or she is, have to be very proud of him. And he hardly could have built up a loyal following of crew. Any crew who served under him were probably stunted in personal or career growth. I just don't recall any tell of anyone having served under him other than the crew of Warlock. Anyone???

Did all of his crew have a tendency to abandon ship? "Ensign! Close that airlock right this..."

'WHOOOOOSH!'

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It is interesting when David and Eric talks about the awful characters of which Pavel Young seems to be among the most detested. I think David refers to him as disgusting aristocratic scum with no redeeming qualities. But don't quote me on that, that may be my own summation of Young getting in the way.

At any rate, I began wondering who he served under. Any leads? I don't recall any mention of any of his COs. Whoever he or she is, have to be very proud of him. And he hardly could have built up a loyal following of crew. Any crew who served under him were probably stunted in personal or career growth. I just don't recall any tell of anyone having served under him other than the crew of Warlock. Anyone???

Remember that Young was part of a clique of officers that looked after each other. And his father had very powerful files and influence with those same officers. He was probably assigned from snotty cruise to his XO billet to commanding officers who would turn a blind eye to his shortcomings and would also be inclined to believe him because of his "pedigree" when it was his word against a "lesser" officer or, worse, an enlisted.

In all, he probably had the easiest of all careers. His being given HMS Warlock, which looks to be one of the first Star Knight ships in 1900 PD, was probably part of that. And it would likely have continued with a squadron commander's position as a commodore, then something as Admiral, etc.

He may not have had redeeming qualities, but he probably wasn't stupid either. He probably did the minimum needed not to get into trouble with the officers who weren't in the clique and who couldn't be intimidated by the North Hollow Files. He probably also stayed away from senior NCOs, who had vastly more experience than he did. He may have looked down on them, but he wasn't stupid to cross them.
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:It is interesting when David and Eric talks about the awful characters of which Pavel Young seems to be among the most detested. I think David refers to him as disgusting aristocratic scum with no redeeming qualities. But don't quote me on that, that may be my own summation of Young getting in the way.

Remember that Young was part of a clique of officers that looked after each other. And his father had very powerful files and influence with those same officers. He was probably assigned from snotty cruise to his XO billet to commanding officers who would turn a blind eye to his shortcomings and would also be inclined to believe him because of his "pedigree" when it was his word against a "lesser" officer or, worse, an enlisted.

In all, he probably had the easiest of all careers. His being given HMS Warlock, which looks to be one of the first Star Knight ships in 1900 PD, was probably part of that. And it would likely have continued with a squadron commander's position as a commodore, then something as Admiral, etc.

He may not have had redeeming qualities, but he probably wasn't stupid either. He probably did the minimum needed not to get into trouble with the officers who weren't in the clique and who couldn't be intimidated by the North Hollow Files. He probably also stayed away from senior NCOs, who had vastly more experience than he did. He may have looked down on them, but he wasn't stupid to cross them.

But there should have been crew aboard those commands he had or prior COs he served under who detested him. His superiors looked the other way, but a navy ship does not operate in a vacuum, even while operating in a vacuum. There were other crew members aboard who undoubtedly had to carry his dead weight. But there didn't seem to be mention of too many of them in the universe during the trial or within storyline. And Young had always been a total phuck-up. But you are correct, perhaps he managed to keep his head down until HE received command. Well, the head above his navel anyways.

Trying to rape Honor's flavor of genie when you are not a similarly modified human is stupid. Very very stupid. It would be like the average Joe trying to take an Amazon's innocence. Ok, that might fall under ignorance. But at the same time, I'll accept any ONE thing the hound dog did that indicates he wasn't stupid. Just one.

Return to Honorverse