Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

{Kind of Spoiler} End of Book

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
{Kind of Spoiler} End of Book
Post by bigrunt   » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:51 pm

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

David really knows how to leave people hanging. This was nastier than Schuller's testament in Safehold. I cannot wait for the next book.
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:50 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

bigrunt wrote:David really knows how to leave people hanging. This was nastier than Schuller's testament in Safehold. I cannot wait for the next book.

'The Excalibur Alternative' anyone? :lol:

Came to mind right along with 'How the Safehold Series Won't End'

http://www.davidweber.net/posts/443-how-safehold-wont-end.html

I'm not sure it's nastier than the ending of Through Fiery Trials, but it certainly left me wanting the next book.
Re: {Kind of Spoiler} End of Book
Post by Tregonsee   » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Tregonsee
Ensign

More of a "Wait, what just happened?!?" ending. I was reminded of a slight similarity to "Time for the Stars."
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:29 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Well, I think there are two "What the Heck" End of Book Scenes.

The first was when one character basically said "I'm What!".

The second was when that character told another character "We got to talk".

I'm really wondering how the character is going to get out of that situation. :twisted:

Of course, the situation is very likely the first character telling the other character "They surrendered and are now our allies". :lol:
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:53 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:Well, I think there are two "What the Heck" End of Book Scenes.

The first was when one character basically said "I'm What!".

The second was when that character told another character "We got to talk".

I'm really wondering how the character is going to get out of that situation. :twisted:

Of course, the situation is very likely the first character telling the other character "They surrendered and are now our allies". :lol:

They were intercepted from behind. Because of that, I will put my bet on "We will try to make them submit first."
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

So the ship shows up, catching up to Vlad and company because humanity's new ships are just that much better, of course. But the question is, what's the new mandate going to be?

Did humanity learn something new and staggering that chances how the puppies should be treated? Are Vlad and company going to be redirected or given a hand in decimating things?

Will Vlad & Co now be told about the 5th race? Or about the nano's they're made of?
Post by Keith_w   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:45 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Fireflair wrote:So the ship shows up, catching up to Vlad and company because humanity's new ships are just that much better, of course. But the question is, what's the new mandate going to be?

I knew this was going to happen the moment the authors started talking about improving the tech.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by iranuke   » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 pm

iranuke
Commander

bigrunt wrote:David really knows how to leave people hanging. This was nastier than Schuller's testament in Safehold. I cannot wait for the next book.

Someone understands how to write "The Perils of Pauline".
Post by bert953   » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:34 pm

bert953
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

iranuke wrote:

Someone understands how to write "The Perils of Pauline".

Well alrighty then! I just finished reading “into the light”. What a way to end the book.... cliffhanger indeed. From the time the teckies started talking about black holes and gravity generators, l figured the gen 2 or gen 4 or whatever superdreadnaught would pay a visit to the puppies, but l never imagined it’d be before Vlad & Steven arrived.

Return to Out of the Dark