Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

David Weber/Eric Flint SNERK Youtube interview

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: David Weber/Eric Flint The Manticoran Navy Youtube inter
Post by Jeslis   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:38 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Relax wrote:PS: David essentially said, he is done writing solo novels.

I'm working my way through this semi slowly now but.. uh..

The post AFTER you talks about solo books of 1 of the other series.. and multi author for next honorverse....

But what about Safehold? Are you saying there is a SPECIFIC quote from David Weber saying hes not going to write any more of those books (or at least, without a collaboration with another author?)
Post by Relax   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:11 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Jeslis wrote:
Relax wrote:PS: David essentially said, he is done writing solo novels.

I'm working my way through this semi slowly now but.. uh..

The post AFTER you talks about solo books of 1 of the other series.. and multi author for next honorverse....

But what about Safehold? Are you saying there is a SPECIFIC quote from David Weber saying hes not going to write any more of those books (or at least, without a collaboration with another author?)

Did you listen to podcast? David Essentially spent an hour+++ saying how he is going to be paying forward his skills as much as possible with collaborations and he enjoys doing collaborations. He sees his health declining, and his cognitive abilities declining which limits amount he can write in a day, # of stories need telling more than he can handle, wants to get them finished, but done with QUALITY as he feels ZERO need to publish just to publish and if he feels he cannot do quality he will quit.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Jeslis

Relax wrote:
Jeslis wrote:I'm working my way through this semi slowly now but.. uh..

Did you listen to podcast? David Essentially spent an hour+++ saying how he is going to be paying forward his skills as much as possible with collaborations and he enjoys doing collaborations. He sees his health declining, and his cognitive abilities declining which limits amount he can write in a day, # of stories need telling more than he can handle, wants to get them finished, but done with QUALITY as he feels ZERO need to publish just to publish and if he feels he cannot do quality he will quit.

I answered your question in my very first sentence.

Still working my way through it as I can't listen to something that long in 1 sitting and am working through some serious wind damage to fences atm.

So if he's not going to be finishing Safehold himself, do you believe he'll be trying to pass it along to someone to finish?
Post by Relax   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:08 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Jeslis wrote:
So if he's not going to be finishing Safehold himself, do you believe he'll be trying to pass it along to someone to finish?

From what I recall; He will be writing himself mainline Honor/Safehold and everything else is collab, and he will write till he feels his quality has fallen and he will then stop. As for passing off well, like all humans we think we are superman and indestructible until we find out we are not and do not contemplate crossing that bridge till .... we cross it.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Louis R   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:59 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

There's a big chunk of discussion about continuation, 'voice' and collaboration. And about how someone who isn't well established as a coauthor usually can't continue a series effectively because they don't have the original writer's voice: they don't have the same style _or_, more importantly, view of the characters. So, for example, he and Phil Pournelle have decided to write more books about Tran, taking up where Mamelukes left off - but they _won't_ be featuring any of the current major characters in leading roles, because they know they can't develop them in the same way Jerry would have. Having his characters suddenly become their characters would be, to put it mildly, off-putting for anyone reading the series, because they'd not be the same characters. They'd be different characters with the same names and places in the story.

When Himself works with a collaborator they're partners, with equal weight in plot and character development even if one or the other leads in writing certain kinds of scene. That's a major reason why going forward he's not going to start anything new on his own. Things that are developed with somebody else can be continued by that person - assuming they're a competent author in their own right - without any discontinuities if DW suddenly checks out.

By the same token, I heard no suggestion that he is going to try to hand off any solo projects, precisely because there would be those discontinuities. So if he checks out before they're done and dusted... sorry, but we're stuck.

Relax wrote:
Jeslis wrote:

From what I recall; He will be writing himself mainline Honor/Safehold and everything else is collab, and he will write till he feels his quality has fallen and he will then stop. As for passing off well, like all humans we think we are superman and indestructible until we find out we are not and do not contemplate crossing that bridge till .... we cross it.
Post by Jeslis   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:35 am

Jeslis

Louis R wrote:By the same token, I heard no suggestion that he is going to try to hand off any solo projects, precisely because there would be those discontinuities. So if he checks out before they're done and dusted... sorry, but we're stuck.

Here's to wishing him a much longer and 'prolonged' healthy life!
Re: David Weber/Eric Flint SNERK Youtube interview
Post by anilkayn   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:58 pm

anilkayn
Midshipman

Post by Peter2   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:08 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Theemile wrote:[snip]

2) The next Honorverse is the Flint/Weber collab in the Crown of Slaves series, and will feature Honor heavily - but after this she is all but retired.

[snip]

I just saw a report that this will be called To End in Fire and is due out sometime in October 2021.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Peter2 wrote:
Theemile wrote:[snip]

2) The next Honorverse is the Flint/Weber collab in the Crown of Slaves series, and will feature Honor heavily - but after this she is all but retired.

[snip]

I just saw a report that this will be called To End in Fire and is due out sometime in October 2021.

What? :o

I finally got a memo! Is that info found in the interview? A very foreboding title I might add.

Oh! And thanks!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Peter2   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
Peter2 wrote:
Theemile said:–
[snip]

[snip]
]

What? :o

I finally got a memo! Is that info found in the interview? A very foreboding title I might add.

Oh! And thanks!

You're most welcome :)

I have a quick look at Fantastic Fiction (https://www.fantasticfiction.com/) once or twice a week; I found it in there earlier today.

Return to Honorverse