Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

David Weber/Eric Flint SNERK Youtube interview

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
David Weber/Eric Flint SNERK Youtube interview
Post by Relax   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:42 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

EDIT: SNERKS in 4th HOUR! Some BIG snerks. Sorry, did not listen to whole thing!

For those interested. Ran into this. This is fairly recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ABeblnibPk

Enjoy.

Uh, 4 hours by the way :o
Last edited by Relax on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Re: David Weber/Eric Flint The Manticoran Navy Youtube inter
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:46 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:For those interested. Ran into this. This is fairly recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ABeblnibPk

Enjoy.

Uh, 4 hours by the way :o

Thanks for the link!

Any highlights you can point us to? That's a long haul...
Post by Relax   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:43 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

Time stamps? Not really. First hour I think is most of the actual Honorverse stuff.

I will admit I only listened to first 2+ hours as I fell asleep. Quite a bit of politics and topics went all over the place as... one would expect. Went into lots of politics, but it did go back a bit into world building etc.

There is info on new upcoming collaboration book in that 2nd hour. Where? Got me, I was not writing anything down.

One highlight which I always sort of thought was true: If David were to rewrite/edit one Honorverse book, it would be War of Honor which needs a reduction of about 30%. Reason? David did not have enough time to do a proper edit.

PS: David essentially said, he is done writing solo novels. David also said that he will quit writing if he feels he cannot write a quality book. David also said he is doing mostly collaborations to help pay forward to the next generation. Judging by his health, this seems imminently prescient. Lets just say he is a #1 prime demographic for the WuhanFlu.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:45 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:

Time stamps? Not really. First hour I think is most of the actual Honorverse stuff.

I will admit I only listened to first 2+ hours as I fell asleep. Quite a bit of politics and topics went all over the place as... one would expect. Went into lots of politics, but it did go back a bit into world building etc.

There is info on new upcoming collaboration book in that 2nd hour. Where? Got me, I was not writing anything down.

One highlight which I always sort of thought was true: If David were to rewrite/edit one Honorverse book, it would be War of Honor which needs a reduction of about 30%. Reason? David did not have enough time to do a proper edit.

PS: David essentially said, he is done writing solo novels. David also said that he will quit writing if he feels he cannot write a quality book. David also said he is doing mostly collaborations to help pay forward to the next generation. Judging by his health, this seems imminently prescient. Lets just say he is a #1 prime demographic for the WuhanFlu.

I've made it about 3 hours in. I picked up several salient points so far.

1) he has EXACTLY 5 more books planned and story boarded in the Sword from the South series. When he has solo time, he will be working on these.

2) The next Honorverse is the Flint/Weber collab in the Crown of Slaves series, and will feature Honor heavily - but after this she is all but retired.

3) his next Solo mainline Honorverse novel will be the Alfred Harrington story. Where we learn that Honor is the taciturn, innocuous member of the family.

4) Honor's children probably will not have a part to play in the story.

5) interesting conversation on changing "voices" of characters when new authors are introduced to an ongoing story. Criticism of Cussler and Clancy books, when they stepped away from writing their novels, handing them off mid-series. Necessity for new authors to expand on new or underdeveloped characters, instead of writing the main characters of a story "in the new author's voice". Thoughts of ending series or planning a handoff of a well liked series to a collab author.

Overall, the whole conversation is interesting, but tedious, with nuggets thinly spread throughout.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:00 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:

look at 3:37:00-3:45:00. DEEP SNERKS into the Honorverse backstory. DEEEEEP SNERKS....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Re: David Weber/Eric Flint SNERK Youtube interview
Post by richardinor   » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:12 am

richardinor
Commander

There were some interesting spoilers from upcoming Hoververse books near the end of the video.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:41 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

At some point between 1:30:00 and 1:45:00 (I wasn't paying attention to the timer), David and Eric were discussing the TV series. There weren't any details, especially after Eric took it off on a tangent about how the book author has no risk and therefore really shouldn't have much of a say.

The only update from David on the subject was that the people who had the option on the HH series are running out of time in the one year they had to turn the book series into a script to pitch to studios, due to the pandemic. They asked for more time and it looks like David may give them some, but not a lot. He hinted that there are others interested.

David also said that he expects there to be a Python Lump of new TV series that will be launched all at the same time now in 2021.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:41 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

3:34:30, "In this next anthology that is coming out in the next 18 months or so from Baen"

This was in September 2020, so we should expect before July 2021.
Post by phillies   » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:31 am

phillies
Admiral

I fear you mean March 2022.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:3:34:30, "In this next anthology that is coming out in the next 18 months or so from Baen"

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:45 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:I fear you mean March 2022.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:3:34:30, "In this next anthology that is coming out in the next 18 months or so from Baen"

I meant "July 2022", allowing for a bit of slippage. But thanks for the correction.

Return to Honorverse