Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

David status update (EDIT: Webers recovering from COVID)

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: David status update
Post by Donnachaidh   » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

He's been posting updates on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/david.weber.5621/posts/3957496864283920

roseandheather wrote:
Senior Chief wrote:

I saw on a another website, FB post from a Ringo fan that David Weber was admitted to the hospital with covid. Nothing else was said.

*quietly panics*
Post by Eagleeye   » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:34 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Donnachaidh wrote:He's been posting updates on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/david.weber.5621/posts/3957496864283920

For people like me who are not on Facebook - could you please summarize his messages from time to time? That would be very much appreciated ...
And all my best wishes to David and his family! May he soon be healthy again!
Post by Duckk   » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Just gonna copy and paste the last update:

Therapy proceeding. We’re on top of tge fever; the high blood pressure looks like it’s under control; hydration levels look good. Still having trouble keeping the O2 up. They’ve got me on a pressure setting of 6, and I’m still dropping into the upper 80s whenever I move around. Takes a minute or two to get back up to the 90s once I’m back off my feet. Problem seems to be getting the lung function up to speed again. I’m confident we’re moving in the right direction, but it’s gonna take however long it takes.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Erls   » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:24 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
TAKE AUGUSTUS KHUMALO AWAY FROM ME AND BE PREPARED TO WATCH ME RIOT

Who ever said Augustus Khumalo would be going away? He's done a pretty stand-up job in Talbott - perhaps there is another sector of the galaxy that could use a naval commander experienced in dealing with multiple viewpoints among the locals as well as making difficult decisions militarily.

Maya could possible use a strong SEM/GA naval commander/liaison. Same with any number of other systems/sectors that vote to leave the SL and now want a closer relationship with the SEM. And don't forget about whoever is tasked to sit on Mesa during that occupation!

The point being, Khumalo's skills and experience could be used in any number of areas that are less stable and secure than the quadrant is.

Also - and most importantly - good news that David appears to have levelled off and is showing signs of improvement. My prayers and best wishes to him and his family.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:52 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:Who ever said Augustus Khumalo would be going away? He's done a pretty stand-up job in Talbott - perhaps there is another sector of the galaxy that could use a naval commander experienced in dealing with multiple viewpoints among the locals as well as making difficult decisions militarily.

I implied that he would not be in Talbott in the next novel, in the post that Rose replied to. But my implication was that he would be going to another place, but still around. Never would I intentionally court Rose's anger, now, would I? :)

Maya could possible use a strong SEM/GA naval commander/liaison. Same with any number of other systems/sectors that vote to leave the SL and now want a closer relationship with the SEM. And don't forget about whoever is tasked to sit on Mesa during that occupation!

The point being, Khumalo's skills and experience could be used in any number of areas that are less stable and secure than the quadrant is.

Possibly, but I think not. Maya would be a glorified "lateral promotion," something he doesn't deserve. There's prestige, but little for him to actually do. Other sectors are not going to be anywhere as important, so not deserving of a full Admiral.

Personally, I expect him back at the Admiralty. First Space Lord, since Honor didn't take the job after Tom Caparelli died at Beowulf.
Re: David status update (EDIT: Webers recovering from COVID)
Post by Duckk   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:11 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Latest from David:

They seem to have the temp totally under control now. BP is still a little ping-pongy, but trending MUCH lower. I think they’re still worried a bit about my heart (remembering I was scheduled for a heart cath last week before all this blew up) and about clotting.

Still coughing up wet phlegm. Not as many blood draw sticks, thank goodness! Breathing is a lot better, at least when not moving. I’ve been limited to sort of shooting out half-dozen word bursts and then gasping for breath. I’m up to whole sentences (well, phrases) now between breaths. Soon as I move, the panting and dizziness starts in, but I think even that is better. Not sure if we’re completely through the antibiotics yet, but I do think everything they’ve pumped into me has helped a lot.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Hans   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:12 pm

Hans
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hello,

all the best wishes to David and his wife and family. Hopefully they are getting their health back without anything left.

Crossing fingers
Hans
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:25 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Duckk wrote:Latest from David:

They seem to have the temp totally under control now. BP is still a little ping-pongy, but trending MUCH lower. I think they’re still worried a bit about my heart (remembering I was scheduled for a heart cath last week before all this blew up) and about clotting.

Still coughing up wet phlegm. Not as many blood draw sticks, thank goodness! Breathing is a lot better, at least when not moving. I’ve been limited to sort of shooting out half-dozen word bursts and then gasping for breath. I’m up to whole sentences (well, phrases) now between breaths. Soon as I move, the panting and dizziness starts in, but I think even that is better. Not sure if we’re completely through the antibiotics yet, but I do think everything they’ve pumped into me has helped a lot.

This man will recover if I have to SIT on him to keep him in his hospital bed, so help me Tester........
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Donnachaidh   » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:36 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Posted last night

David Weber facebook post wrote:I am now officially off the heart monitor!
Tah-DAH!
O2 absorption still too low and they’re still watching for clotting, but the situation is clearly improving.
Post by lightningstar519   » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:33 pm

lightningstar519
Ensign

Wishing David Weber and his family all the best and hoping they pull through this dark time and get well soon!

Return to David's Dimension