Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests

"Testimony of Schueler" Redux

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
"Testimony of Schueler" Redux
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:37 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

I noticed that this has come up in recent posts. Since I have several thoughts on this, I decided to put them into circulation.

The apparition of Schueler, with his "Testimony" in the last chapter of _Through Fiery Trials_ was either the creation of the Inner Circle, or by somebody else. I will not speculate on who that somebody else is nor will I speculate on the motive.

Whoever was responsible was guilty of creating a phony miracle. That is why I am reluctant to assume that the Inner Circle was responsible. Way back in _OBS_, Merlin (actually still the Nimue Alban download at that point) rejected the idea of promoting a lie via high-tech fakery. But is there something else that could be Operation Androcles?

At the end the August 915YOG chapter, Nahrmahn is referring to a proposal that has to be Operation Androcles and mentions that Paityr (Wylsynn) and Nynian were involved in the preparation. So what could need both?

I suggest that Operation Androcles featured both Schueler's message in the Key (did Schueler expect more that just the Wylsynn family to view it) and Saint Kohdy's journal. Paityr would provide Wylsynn family records to authenticate the Key. Nynian was so certain that the "The Testimonies" had been edited that I suspect that a covert Sister of Saint Kohdy had checked the archives and had found at least one testimony that mentioned Saint Kohdy. If so, the Temple is faced with a smoking gun that one of the Church's holy warriors during the _War Against the Fallen_ had been purged from the records (were there others, and where are the journals of the other Saints?).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Re: "Testimony of Schueler" Redux
Post by Jeslis   » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:11 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Not sure I agree. We don't have all the info about what we learned from St. Khody sisters.

eg; We actually KNOW Chihiro lied because it's mentioned that after langhorne was killed off, Chihiro changed the writ.

We also don't know know (Outside of the statement that Shanwei did not fall [into evil?]) what the hologram is saying Chihiro lied ABOUT.

Like you said; its a binary solution set; Either yes this is the inner circle (and I doubt Merlin OK'd it if it was 'promoting a lie via high tech fakery'), or someone else did it and the 'operation androcles' hasn't occurred yet.
Post by thanatos   » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:01 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I noticed that this has come up in recent posts. Since I have several thoughts on this, I decided to put them into circulation.

The apparition of Schueler, with his "Testimony" in the last chapter of _Through Fiery Trials_ was either the creation of the Inner Circle, or by somebody else. I will not speculate on who that somebody else is nor will I speculate on the motive.

Whoever was responsible was guilty of creating a phony miracle. That is why I am reluctant to assume that the Inner Circle was responsible. Way back in _OBS_, Merlin (actually still the Nimue Alban download at that point) rejected the idea of promoting a lie via high-tech fakery. But is there something else that could be Operation Androcles?

At the end the August 915YOG chapter, Nahrmahn is referring to a proposal that has to be Operation Androcles and mentions that Paityr (Wylsynn) and Nynian were involved in the preparation. So what could need both?

I suggest that Operation Androcles featured both Schueler's message in the Key (did Schueler expect more that just the Wylsynn family to view it) and Saint Kohdy's journal. Paityr would provide Wylsynn family records to authenticate the Key. Nynian was so certain that the "The Testimonies" had been edited that I suspect that a covert Sister of Saint Kohdy had checked the archives and had found at least one testimony that mentioned Saint Kohdy. If so, the Temple is faced with a smoking gun that one of the Church's holy warriors during the _War Against the Fallen_ had been purged from the records (were there others, and where are the journals of the other Saints?).

Here's the bottom line - this Last Testimony of Schueler was delivered at the Tomb of Schueler, far outside Zion and away from any possible ground-based sensors. If this was the doing of whatever is under the temple, they would have presented it there, at the very center of power on the planet.
Post by Joat42   » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:43 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Well... I have mulled this over, and if Operation Androcles is responsible it could be argued that they really didn't lie.

Considering the message in the Key and the earlier version of the Writ from before the war, the message that was delivered was essentially the truth.

The other plausible alternative is that Schueler himself actually set this up, he did after all use the Wylsynn's as the keeper of the Key and the Stone. They where also the keeper of the information that Schueler gave them about the return of the Archangels in a 1000 years. From that viewpoint it would be quite easy for Schueler to set this up in an effort to introduce some "unintended consequences" just before the visit. And that also introduces another possibility what the key is, a key isn't just used for unlocking things, it can also lock things up, like a temple for example....

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by bigrunt   » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:55 pm

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

Joat42 wrote:And that also introduces another possibility what the key is, a key isn't just used for unlocking things, it can also lock things up, like a temple for example....

Now that is a novel way to think of it, or it brings the AI fully online and in the service of the one that imprinted their hands next to the stone.
Post by mhicks   » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:20 am

mhicks

This could also be the return. This in it's self was the return. Maybe other tombs will have similar messages from those who agreed with Schueler and there will be more disruptions to the Writ.

Schueler and his key i hope will play a large role in this next book so we can finally see what the Wylsynn family was supposed to do all these years.

I doubt that Schueler was expecting there to be the other plans set in play with the Brotherhood of Saint Jerome and the Siserhood of Saint Kohdy.

I think that Schueler was trying to get the ball rolling to bring down Langhorns plan from inside the church to break things up, and he wanted to make a statement. Trying to come in like a wrecking ball. I see many thinking Schueler is the next devil in sheep's clothing
Post by Jeslis   » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:15 pm

Jeslis

mhicks wrote:

I doubt that Schueler was expecting there to be the other plans set in play with the Brotherhood of Saint Jerome and the Siserhood of Saint Kohdy.

Say what now? Saint Jerome? ... Which book/chapter goes over this.. I feel like I missed a few hundred pages somewhere now.
Post by ZVar   » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:00 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

Jeslis wrote:
mhicks wrote:

Say what now? Saint Jerome? ... Which book/chapter goes over this.. I feel like I missed a few hundred pages somewhere now.

Maybe he meant Brethren of Saint Zherneau?
Post by mhicks   » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:29 am

mhicks

Sorry, yes I meant the Brethren of Saint Zherneau. I have a bad memory and I am Dyslexic so reading this series is murder, but I do love it.
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:54 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

mhicks wrote:Sorry, yes I meant the Brethren of Saint Zherneau. I have a bad memory and I am Dyslexic so reading this series is murder, but I do love it.

BTW what is the conventional equivalent of 'Zherneau'?

Return to Safehold