Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Book 5 To Come?

Jerry Pournelle’s Janissaries series is alive and well. Drop in to discuss it and — especially— the latest addition: Mamelukes by Jerry himself with a little posthumous help from Phillip Pournelle and David!
Book 5 To Come?
Post by jlrice54   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:27 am

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I just finished Mamelukes. I really enjoyed the book as I was always a fan of the Janissaries series. I would check his Chaos Manor column in Byte as much for news about new books as for Dr Pournelle's insight on the tech world. But questions come to mind.

Will there be a possible 5 Volume? It seems that were enough unanswered questions to provide hooks for Book 5.

What was the backstory of Lorraine "Spirit" Santori's reason for leaving Earth? Just being a disgraced cop shouldn't have caused that, there has to be more to the story.

There is still the question of the Five Kingdoms hanging out there as well as other populations either revealed or unrevealed. There were the Tongans, others past the territory of the Westmen and who knows what groups have been dumped in other areas of the planet. And Rick's prestige and power as Caesar, Emperor of Rome will surely have grown past Ganton's as Wanax of Drantos so how will that play out? I can see Ganton harboring some serious resentment.

How quickly will they be able to fast track technology research and development while concealing it from the Confederation? It's not just a century of research and prior art they will have to leapfrog but a millennium of progress. I know the materials in the container will help but they have 30 generations of progress to short cut.

I'm not sure what kind of notes, outlines or other documents about his ultimate plans to the story arc were left by JP but this just seems too much like a cliffhanger to be the end of the story.
(Spoiler)Re: Book 5 To Come?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:22 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

This should probably have a spoiler tag on it, as the hardcover has been out less than 1 month.

jlrice54 wrote:I just finished Mamelukes. I really enjoyed the book as I was always a fan of the Janissaries series. I would check his Chaos Manor column in Byte as much for news about new books as for Dr Pournelle's insight on the tech world. But questions come to mind.

Will there be a possible 5 Volume? It seems that were enough unanswered questions to provide hooks for Book 5.

What was the backstory of Lorraine "Spirit" Santori's reason for leaving Earth? Just being a disgraced cop shouldn't have caused that, there has to be more to the story.

There is still the question of the Five Kingdoms hanging out there as well as other populations either revealed or unrevealed. There were the Tongans, others past the territory of the Westmen and who knows what groups have been dumped in other areas of the planet. And Rick's prestige and power as Caesar, Emperor of Rome will surely have grown past Ganton's as Wanax of Drantos so how will that play out? I can see Ganton harboring some serious resentment.

How quickly will they be able to fast track technology research and development while concealing it from the Confederation? It's not just a century of research and prior art they will have to leapfrog but a millennium of progress. I know the materials in the container will help but they have 30 generations of progress to short cut.

I'm not sure what kind of notes, outlines or other documents about his ultimate plans to the story arc were left by JP but this just seems too much like a cliffhanger to be the end of the story.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: (Spoiler)Re: Book 5 To Come?
Post by justdave   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:51 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:This should probably have a spoiler tag on it, as the hardcover has been out less than 1 month.

jlrice54 wrote:I just finished Mamelukes. I really enjoyed the book as I was always a fan of the Janissaries series. I would check his Chaos Manor column in Byte as much for news about new books as for Dr Pournelle's insight on the tech world. But questions come to mind.

Agree on spoiler tag, lol. As I posted earlier, I see recycled Jerry here, not a bad thing. Echoes of the end of Prince of Sparta and King David’s Spaceship.
Re: Book 5 To Come?
Post by jasonenberg   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:11 pm

jasonenberg
Midshipman

Great story. As you said lots left unfinished. Could be several more novels depending on how much they want to cover on Tran and how much / how soon they want to jump into the Galatics part of the story.

I suspect we won't see anymore. Most authors probably don't want someone else to continue their story. And probably most authors would prefer to write their own.

Its been a long time since 1987 when Storms of Victory was published. It is great to see more of this series. I really hadn't expected to see more after all this time but glad we did.

I certainly would buy book 5 if ever written.
Post by justdave   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:23 am

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

jasonenberg wrote:Great story. As you said lots left unfinished. Could be several more novels depending on how much they want to cover on Tran and how much / how soon they want to jump into the Galatics part of the story.

I suspect we won't see anymore. Most authors probably don't want someone else to continue their story. And probably most authors would prefer to write their own.

Its been a long time since 1987 when Storms of Victory was published. It is great to see more of this series. I really hadn't expected to see more after all this time but glad we did.

check out the MWW’s YouTube channel and Baen’s for archived discussions on this, basically he and Phillip are planning on continuing the series
Post by jasonenberg   » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:44 am

jasonenberg
Midshipman

justdave wrote:
jasonenberg wrote:Great story. As you said lots left unfinished. Could be several more novels depending on how much they want to cover on Tran and how much / how soon they want to jump into the Galatics part of the story.

check out the MWW’s YouTube channel and Baen’s for archived discussions on this, basically he and Phillip are planning on continuing the series

Good news. I listened to the Baen's YouTube channel as suggested. Part 3 of the Mamelukes chat had the details about continuing the series if anyone else is curious.
Post by buffalo24a   » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:47 am

buffalo24a
Midshipman

It would be great to have a 5th or 6th book in this series. It did stop at the wrong place, in my opinion. There is so much materiel here that can be developed into great stories.

I listened to the Baen's channel on youtube part #3 and the podcast has some very good info that would be well placed in book #5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0yKAZV8g8 Around the 32 minute mark is where they discuss the future
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:34 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I had read the 1st 3 as they came out- God, that was a long time ago- and Mamelukes did pick up where 4 left off. The Galactics were always going to be a challenge when we saw Gwen's lover return and had been treated to the discussions he had with other Humans in Galactic service.

I look forward to 5

Return to Mamelukes