Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 45 guests

Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by Theemile   » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Theemile wrote:Switch to Firebrand - playing overwatch with his Cat while a young Indiana Graham meets yet another shadowy figure who used to have big time connections with certain trans-stellars. A mental review of everything that has gone sideways and how they got to "here" while he listens to the bugs at the meet site.

A minor dissent, I think Indiana will have enough work getting his planet into shape and being part of the heroes of that revolution will make him too prominent to engage in clandestine activities.

Meanwhile I expect Harahap and cat to be partnered with Zilwicki and Cachet in ferreting out the Onion, as we last saw them together.

Works for me - I was just trying to concoct a quick circumstance including Harahap for the setup of his mental flashback. Sadly, having a barely sane TreeCat on your shoulder is kinda anathema to undercover work - so I needed to have him "watch" someone else. It also gets Indy (or Victor/Anton) checked off for the "What are they doing now" list for story telling bonus points...
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:David has mentioned a couple of times that "UH" was the end of Honor's story. Not that she is dead, but that she will be a background character, slightly to the left of the spotlight, for the rest of the Honorverse novels.

The original plan was for a time jump after her death, and for her children to "take the mantle" for the story against the MAlign.

So we take the fact that 1) the Leonard Detweilers, the MAlign's class of advanced Podlaying SDs is only 1/2 way through construction, or less, (so 3-4 years from use, or more), 2) The SLN has been beaten, and shamed, causing the withdraw of Frontier Fleet to Solarian Space from the Verge and the protectorates, and 3) Honor's "Retirement", That we will see a skip ahead. Either that or we will see a story mostly set in politics, with little action.

Even a short time jump, like 5 years, is probable. Say it starts with Henke, still orbiting Mesa, 5 years later, walking briskly to the flag bridge to deal with the latest "disturbance" on Mesa - reminiscing as she walks about the difficulties of the last 5 years - and the things that were not so "bad".. (Ahem: Lester).

Ah, I see. Thank you. I thought I had missed a post by RFC somewhere (I'm new to the forum). I think you're right when it comes to the mainline: we'll see a jump forward of a couple of years, but not much more than that.

But not for Mesa and Torch. There are just too many loose ends, with Zilwicki, Cachat, Palane, and Harahap all on planet. I think they'll continue to try to peel the onion and that's what I think the subject of the next book will be. And when are they going to attempt to go through the wormhole again?

After that, I guess we'll see another Saganami book, with Gold Peak and Tourville, with flashes to Bolthole, the first streak drive prototype, etc. There's a lot to be told about how the Verge is going to evolve, if any other sectors like Meyer and Maya declare independence, form regional government associated with the GA, what form of association Beowulf and Hypatia form with the SEM, etc.

Then again, didn't the mainline and Saganami line merge? Uncompromising Honor is described as "Honor Harrington Book 19".
Post by CaptainPerseus   » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:38 pm

CaptainPerseus
Ensign

Does anyone else want to see the Ghost Hunters from the Solarian League and Cachat and Zilwicki to cross paths somehow? It'd have to be covert. Tangle of Tales might be a perfect opportunity for that to happen.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

CaptainPerseus wrote:Does anyone else want to see the Ghost Hunters from the Solarian League and Cachat and Zilwicki to cross paths somehow? It'd have to be covert. Tangle of Tales might be a perfect opportunity for that to happen.

I don't see a reason the Ghost Hunters would leave Sol, they still have lots to clean up and no trails leading them off world.

Any interface would probably be electronic correspondence, or through an intermediary.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
CaptainPerseus wrote:Does anyone else want to see the Ghost Hunters from the Solarian League and Cachat and Zilwicki to cross paths somehow? It'd have to be covert. Tangle of Tales might be a perfect opportunity for that to happen.

I don't see a reason the Ghost Hunters would leave Sol, they still have lots to clean up and no trails leading them off world.

Any interface would probably be electronic correspondence, or through an intermediary.

They did send someone on a fact-finding mission to Maya Sector, so now that they know that The Other Guys are real, sending someone to Mesa would be a logical next step.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
They did send someone on a fact-finding mission to Maya Sector, so now that they know that The Other Guys are real, sending someone to Mesa would be a logical next step.

Actually, one of the Mandarins did that, not the Ghost Hunters.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:13 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:

Actually, one of the Mandarins did that, not the Ghost Hunters.

First, the MAlign agent Nyhus gave information to his superior in Frontier Security.
July 1922
At a time when the entire galaxy seemed to be catching fire, Maya represented a welcome corner of tranquility.
For the moment, at least.
“What sort of report are we talking about?” Ukhtomskoy asked unhappily. If he had to tell MacArtney Barregos’s popularity was starting to wane and the days of Maya’s tranquility might be numbered…
“I have two separate sources who each tell me Barregos has met directly with representatives of Manticore,” Nyhus said flatly.
For a moment, Ukhtomskoy was certain he’d misunderstood. Then he straightened in his chair.
“What did you say?”
“I said I have two separate reports that Barregos is meeting with the Manties.” Nyhus shook his head, blue eyes worried. “Separate reports from two different sources, Adão. And neither one of the sources knows about the other.”
Ukhtomskoy’s jaw tightened at the implication.

Next up is the Ghost hunters discussing the issue:

The Golden Olive Restaurant
City of Old Chicago
Sol System
Solarian League

“So what do you think of Rajmund’s latest revelation?” Lupe Blanton asked as she and Weng Zhing-hwan finished punching their orders into the privacy-screened booth’s terminal. “From where I sit, if there’s really anything to it, we may need to rethink our position on who the Other Guys really are. Or if they exist at all, for that matter!”
“First, let’s remember we’re talking about Rajmund,” Weng observed, pouring tea into her cup from the self-warming pot which had been waiting in their booth when they arrived. “That automatically means there’s an agenda behind it. You know that even better than I do, since you, unfortunately, have to work with him—or around him—on an ongoing basis. Second, we know damned well that all of his patrons—or the ones we’ve been able to identify, at least—have strong vested interests in ‘proving’ the Manties are behind anything that goes south in the Fringe. And, third, I don’t believe for one second that Oravil Barregos would be careless or stupid enough to be caught talking to the Manties—or anyone else—if he seriously contemplates anything of which your esteemed superiors might disapprove.”

After a lot of text, they decide to send someone of their own; given the time involved though, I don't think their agent got there and back before the end of the book.

Besides, Barregos declares the Maya Sector's independence before they could get anyone there and back again.

Regards,
Rob

Return to Honorverse