Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

How to downgrade the fleet without upsetting the public?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
How to downgrade the fleet without upsetting the public?
Post by Puidwen   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:42 pm

Puidwen
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

After all I believe that the general Manticoran public knows that the Messan alignment is still out there. But there's also been a general theme in Manticoran history where whenever they downgrade the fleet (or just let it get in bad shape) trouble happens. I doubt they will be thrilled even with Queen Elizabeth telling them they need to trim the fleet.
Last edited by Puidwen on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Re: How to downgrade the fleet without upsetting the puplic?
Post by kzt   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:03 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Well, given they just signed on to police about 500x their current territory I don’t quite get how that going to work.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:02 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Well, given they just signed on to police about 500x their current territory I don’t quite get how that going to work.

Group lots of SDs are going to be replaced by CAs and smaller. Probably a net increase in hulls and a net decrease in manning requiremenst.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by phillies   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:05 am

phillies
Admiral

kzt wrote:Well, given they just signed on to police about 500x their current territory I don’t quite get how that going to work.

Sepoys. honest SLN types given a new career.
Post by Theemile   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Group lots of SDs are going to be replaced by CAs and smaller. Probably a net increase in hulls and a net decrease in manning requiremenst.

Fortunately, manpower on newer designs is 1/3rd to 1/6th that if older designs. So manpower costs are going down. Also, the fleet is extremely modern, so wear and upkeep costs should be low for the next few years. I don't actually see an overall shrinkage of the fleet, more likely a restructuring, with some items like CLACS and older SDs placed in reserve, while more medium combatants are built for patrolling the expanses.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:Group lots of SDs are going to be replaced by CAs and smaller. Probably a net increase in hulls and a net decrease in manning requiremenst.

Theemile wrote:Fortunately, manpower on newer designs is 1/3rd to 1/6th that if older designs. So manpower costs are going down. Also, the fleet is extremely modern, so wear and upkeep costs should be low for the next few years. I don't actually see an overall shrinkage of the fleet, more likely a restructuring, with some items like CLACS and older SDs placed in reserve, while more medium combatants are built for patrolling the expanses.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ship like HMS Charles Ward(?) in larger numbers. Either alone or in support roles.

Post by Fox2!   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Weird Harold wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see ship like HMS Charles Ward(?) in larger numbers. Either alone or in support roles.

An FSV, a full squadron of LACs, a cargo module stuffed with Mark 23 pods, and a division of DDs or CLs. Take on most anything short of a full squadron or two of BCs, most likely.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see ship like HMS Charles Ward(?) in larger numbers. Either alone or in support roles.

Fox2! wrote:An FSV, a full squadron of LACs, a cargo module stuffed with Mark 23 pods, and a division of DDs or CLs. Take on most anything short of a full squadron or two of BCs, most likely.

Mk23s would be overkill for most situations -- including a squadron of BSs. Mk16G or later would suffice and make room for more missiles; Need to make room for a few DD/CL missiles, too.

Post by Fox2!   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:42 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Weird Harold wrote:

Fox2! wrote:An FSV, a full squadron of LACs, a cargo module stuffed with Mark 23 pods, and a division of DDs or CLs. Take on most anything short of a full squadron or two of BCs, most likely.

Mk23s would be overkill for most situations -- including a squadron of BSs. Mk16G or later would suffice and make room for more missiles; Need to make room for a few DD/CL missiles, too.

Have we seen Mk16s of any variant? Not that it wouldn't be trivial to make them. I suppose there aren't enough Roland/Paul class DDs running around. And they are too valuable to use as part of a fixed defense plan. Older classes of DD/CL should have enough telemetry links to handle the job.
Post by pnakasone   » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:38 am

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Someone at the Bureau of Ships is sitting down and thinking about the kinds of ships that will be needed for what they are going to be doing next.

Return to Honorverse