Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Who is to blame for not putting people back to work !!

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Post by chuckpeterson   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:05 pm

chuckpeterson
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

McConnell blocks bill to reopen most of government
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) blocked legislation on Thursday that would have reopened most of the federal government impacted by the partial shutdown.

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) tried to get consent to take up a House-passed bill that would reopen all agencies except the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which is at the center of the shutdown fight. But McConnell objected.
https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/ ... government

Mitch McConnell Jr. (born February 20, 1942) is an American politician serving as Kentucky’s senior United States Senator and as Senate Majority Leader. McConnell is the second Kentuckian to lead his party in the Senate and is the longest-serving U.S. Senator from Kentucky in history.

A member of the Republican Party, McConnell was elected to the Senate in 1984 and has been re-elected five times since then.

If you are a citizen living in Kentucky, I employ you to gather whomever you can gather together and visit McConnell, at his home and plead to him (peacefully) to re-open our government NOW!!!!!!
Re: Who is to blame for not putting people back to work !!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

That article does not mention what other provisions the Democrats have piled into that bill. McConnell could be objecting to…well, just about anything.

If walls are so evil, WHY do so many Democrats live behind walls? They have walled off entire neighborhoods!

Of course, none of those pesky little laws apply to THEM.

chuckpeterson wrote:I employ you to gather

I believe you mean 'implore'.

This should have been put in Politics. Can it be moved? Duckk?
———————————
If you tried to run a business the way they run the government, you would be in jail or the poor-house within six months.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

The irony is, that Trump is basically trying to fulfill the promise to voters which get him elected, and opposition is trying to stop the president from fulfilling his promise to voters. Clearly, the "wonders of modern American democracy", yeah.

P.S. Of course, being non-American I could view the situation only as outsider... but am I the only one who think that quite a lot of American problems could be solved instantly - if both Democratic and Republican parties would be forcibly disbanded?
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by The E   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm

The E
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:P.S. Of course, being non-American I could view the situation only as outsider... but am I the only one who think that quite a lot of American problems could be solved instantly - if both Democratic and Republican parties would be forcibly disbanded?

That would solve exactly no problems.

The basic issue with democracy in the US is that the mechanisms of how people are elected forces a two-party system; Independent candidates for any office have a massive disadvantage against people from the two big parties.

Unlike other representative democracies, which have systems where people have two votes (one for their personal representative, another for a party), the US system was supposed to remove parties altogether and just go for personal representation -- You can guess how long it took for that to break down.

Further, by disconnecting the chief executive from the legislative, the system forces an adversarial relationship between the two; this has pros and cons, but can be workable assuming that all parties involved can find workable compromises, which is increasingly unlikely the more polarized the positions become -- which is a natural consequence of the electoral systems forcing every race to be between two candidates.

The fix, in short, isn't to abolish parties. The fix is to accept that parties are a thing, and design the system such that their existence complements and stabilizes it, rather than the opposite (this also involves taking the power to redraw election districts away from the legislative at every level!).
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

The E wrote:
That would solve exactly no problems.

The basic issue with democracy in the US is that the mechanisms of how people are elected forces a two-party system; Independent candidates for any office have a massive disadvantage against people from the two big parties.

Unlike other representative democracies, which have systems where people have two votes (one for their personal representative, another for a party), the US system was supposed to remove parties altogether and just go for personal representation -- You can guess how long it took for that to break down.

Further, by disconnecting the chief executive from the legislative, the system forces an adversarial relationship between the two; this has pros and cons, but can be workable assuming that all parties involved can find workable compromises, which is increasingly unlikely the more polarized the positions become -- which is a natural consequence of the electoral systems forcing every race to be between two candidates.

The fix, in short, isn't to abolish parties. The fix is to accept that parties are a thing, and design the system such that their existence complements and stabilizes it, rather than the opposite (this also involves taking the power to redraw election districts away from the legislative at every level!).

The E, my concern is not about two-party system as itself (mind you, my country was perfectly fine with one-party system :) ), but the fact that both existing parties in USA are serving essentially no practical purpose anymore. They did not represent anything more than political agendas used by opposing economical blocks among the elite.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by The E   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:00 pm

The E
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:The E, my concern is not about two-party system as itself (mind you, my country was perfectly fine with one-party system :) ), but the fact that both existing parties in USA are serving essentially no practical purpose anymore. They did not represent anything more than political agendas used by opposing economical blocks among the elite.

But abolishing the existing parties does not solve that problem. It just means that the exisitng power blocs will reform under a new name and carry on as before; To make sure they do not, deeper changes are needed.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:31 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Dilandu wrote:They did not represent anything more than political agendas used by opposing economical blocks among the elite.

Hell, these days the elites and special interests buy both candidates. It's just a matter of who wins the bidding war.

Return to Free-Range Topics...