Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by Eyal   » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:36 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

Daryl wrote:Good points biochem, and I do agree with you, surprise.
I'd not say learn to love coal, but would say learn to accept that coal has to be used for some time yet. Eventually technology will find economically sensible ways to provide 24/7 base load power from renewables. Apart from anything else future generations will want the coal as a feed stock for more useful things than just burning it.

As I understand, the main problem with coal is due to market issues, not regulations - natural gas is simply cheaper and more convenient. Given that, coal isn't coming back unless the government is willing to drastically intervene - either by banning/restricting gas or by massively subsidizing coal (and in the latter case, you might as well pay the out-of-job miners directly and spare the environment).
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:57 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Eyal wrote:
Daryl wrote:Good points biochem, and I do agree with you, surprise.
I'd not say learn to love coal, but would say learn to accept that coal has to be used for some time yet. Eventually technology will find economically sensible ways to provide 24/7 base load power from renewables. Apart from anything else future generations will want the coal as a feed stock for more useful things than just burning it.

As I understand, the main problem with coal is due to market issues, not regulations - natural gas is simply cheaper and more convenient. Given that, coal isn't coming back unless the government is willing to drastically intervene - either by banning/restricting gas or by massively subsidizing coal (and in the latter case, you might as well pay the out-of-job miners directly and spare the environment).

1) NOT disagreeing with anyone. However I do remember Boston Harbor, Lake Erie had no living anything in it, Love canal, Acid rain killing the forests and the fish, and Los Angeles smog.
2) Burning coal to boil water to produce steam is probably the least efficient way to generate electricity. However 60% of the BHP of a natural gas fired turbine is used by the turbine's air compressor end.

3) It's just cheaper to build and operate natural gas or gas/oil hybrid turbine generators, especially with heat recovery boilers running steam co-gen turbines.

4) Yes we will be burning coal especially at "base load" generating stations for a while. But like the Nuclear Reactors, they are nearing the end of their useful life. They will either have to be rebuilt or replaced. Now we have an oversupply of natural gas, and Trump is promising more coal AND more natural gas. It is probably going to be cheaper to rebuild the coal plants to burn natural gas even if they don't have to meet clean air standards.

5) China is a net importer of coal but even China is moving away from coal and to solar and wind. The future is in energy storage capacity. And Tesla is pushing ahead with that.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:14 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Back to topic.

There is no good reason for the Democrats to support impeachment, It is the republicans problem, let them deal with it. Let them repeal Obamacare and give us Trump-Care. Lets run government like a business. Lets do all the lunatic fringe simplistic solutions to complex problems. Sometimes people need a good slap upside the head.

Off topic: Nordstrom drops Ivanka because Ivanka sales fell 30%.

Back again to topic.

Is Michael Flynn the new Scooter Libby? Remember the George W Shrub leak where he promised "heads will roll" and Dick Cheney offered up his chief of staff as the Sacrificial Samurai.

IS Sally Yates Trumps Saturday Night Massacre? Does anyone here remember Nixon's Saturday night Massacre featuring Elliot Richardson, William Ruckleshaus and Robert Bork? How about the "Nattering Nabobs of Negativism"?

Should Democrats revive and rename The Quayle Quarterly The Trump Thrice Monthly?
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

When the president's own intelligence community withholds sensitive intelligence from him because they do not trust him, then something is seriously very very wrong. There simply cannot be a lack of trust between the president and his own intelligence community. Impeachment. Is. Imminent!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:49 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:When the president's own intelligence community withholds sensitive intelligence from him because they do not trust him, then something is seriously very very wrong. There simply cannot be a lack of trust between the president and his own intelligence community. Impeachment. Is. Imminent!

Please, your calls for impeachment are not nearly loud enough. Many on the left have still to hear it and respond. They remain unmoved. No one will get impeached without a greater level of lunacy from the useful idiots from the left. So, a little bit louder now....
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
cthia wrote:When the president's own intelligence community withholds sensitive intelligence from him because they do not trust him, then something is seriously very very wrong. There simply cannot be a lack of trust between the president and his own intelligence community. Impeachment. Is. Imminent!

Please, your calls for impeachment are not nearly loud enough. Many on the left have still to hear it and respond. They remain unmoved. No one will get impeached without a greater level of lunacy from the useful idiots from the left. So, a little bit louder now....

You misunderstand me. I am not calling for his impeachment, I am simply predicting it.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:52 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
PeterZ wrote:

You misunderstand me. I am not calling for his impeachment, I am simply predicting it.

It doesn't matter. Predict louder or call for it louder. The looney left (not all lefties but the looney element of the left) are far too constrained. They need to ratchet it up significantly. The more extreme their antics the more moderates they persuade to abandon leftists causes and policies.

So, please predict much more loudly and please use much more incendiary rhetoric.
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

IMPEACHMENT
IMMINENT!

There, that should be loud enuff!

Post by gcomeau   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:13 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

cthia wrote:IMPEACHMENT
IMMINENT!

There, that should be loud enuff!

Yeah... it's still not. No matter how warranted. The GOP in Congress won't go there yet, they don't have the integrity.

Peter Z wrote:Please, your calls for impeachment are not nearly loud enough. Many on the left have still to hear it and respond. They remain unmoved. No one will get impeached without a greater level of lunacy from the useful idiots from the left.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... /97944818/

It's not just the left on this one... let alone just the "lunatic left". It's spreading. But that will happen when impeachment is actually, you know, warranted.

It doesn't matter. Predict louder or call for it louder. The looney left (not all lefties but the looney element of the left) are far too constrained. They need to ratchet it up significantly. The more extreme their antics the more moderates they persuade to abandon leftists causes and policies.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallu ... roval.aspx

And this is during his "honeymoon" period when moderates and independents are *most* inclined to give a new president the benefit of the doubt even if they didn't vote for him.
Post by dscott8   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:24 pm

dscott8
Commodore

I agree that a lot of folks are jumping the gun in their enthusiasm, but I do feel that we need to investigate the possibility of Russian interference in our government and our electoral process. The question is, can we get a thorough and impartial investigation? The administration is already diverting from the question by focusing on hunting down the "leakers". The GOP controlled Congress will want to avoid the embarrassment of finding out that their Prez is conducting covert deals with Russia. Worst of all, the general population is divided into opposing camps of doctrinaire zealots who will label any info they don't like as "fake news". The extremism of both ends of the political spectrum has made "truth" meaningless.

I believe that the first question we all need to ask ourselves is whether we are loyal to the United States and its Constitution, or only to our own political faction. When I joined the Army, the oath was to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. That Constitution established a rule of law, checks & balances, and the rights and responsibilities of a citizen. It is our right and duty to demand accountability from our elected representatives.

Return to Politics