Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Audio Books Mispronunciation

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Audio Books Mispronunciation
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:15 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

People, it turns out that the wrong pronunciation of Manticore in the audio books is my fault.

I have no idea how I came to do it, but when Allyson set out to do the first books, she sent me a long list of words for which she wanted me to give her the correct pronunciation, and "Manticore" was on the list. Frankly, I don't remember specifically addressing the point, but she sent me a copy of my original e-mail to her and, yup, I did. She asked it it was properly "Man-ti-CORE-an" or "Man-TIK-eran," and I (for some reason) told her it was the second.

It's wrong, but it's not her fault or Audible's. It was a simple miss communication, and I have no idea how I managed to do it since I have never pronounced it aby other way than the first of her suggestions. There were a lot of words on her list, and the only thing I can think of is that for some reason while dealing with all of them, I somehow managed to flip this one. She did her conscientious best to get it right, and I managed to tell her wrong.

Sigh.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Audio Books Mispronunciation
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:25 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

I find the timing of this admission somewhat suspect. 2 weeks after the ART EARC is released. Is someone trying to hide in the groundswell of support <Mother Huge Grin>

It was kind of a bummer but amazingly enough I got over it. Thank you for continuing to supply my addiction in multiple forms.

Thank You,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by DeltaV   » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:28 pm

DeltaV
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

To quote Ms. Foraker...

Oops
Post by solbergb   » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

solbergb
Admiral

I always thought Allyson had the one important requisite to do the Honorverse books - a convincing Soprano command voice.

Since she had that, I found it easy to forgive the ManTICoran gaffe. Some of the reviewers of the early audiobooks had a harder time though.

The only really bad reader in the Audible batch was the Storm from the Shadows guy. He just doesn't do female voices well, and a book that pretty much starred a bunch of point of view characters that were women was a bit hard to take. It wasn't quite as bad in Shadow of Saganami when the POV characters were about half men/boys.

The only other gripe I've got with the audiobooks is the accents aren't consistent. I think some of that though is just an attempt to cope with the huge cast of characters, each of which needs a distinct voice when read aloud.
Post by Jeff Donohue   » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 pm

Jeff Donohue
Ensign

I am relieved to know I was not going crazy (at least not going crazier). My health is no longer good, and my vision is quickly going bad. I recently started the audible of OBS as I wanted to experience the series yet again, and the pronunciation of Manticoran is something I am finding to be very jarring. Every time I hear it I cringe and grit my teeth. But at least now I know how it came to be.
Post by Vince   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:29 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Forum weirdness:

Has anyone else noticed that when Jeff Donohue posted just recently that the forum marked all the posts in the thread as unread for members who are logged in, not just Jeff Donohue' post?

Haven't noticed this on any other thread, except the Forum Rules.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Jeff Donohue   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:43 am

Jeff Donohue
Ensign

Was it something I did?
Post by Jeff Donohue   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:48 am

Jeff Donohue
Ensign

Oh, can anyone tell me in which audible book does Manticoran start to be pronounced properly?
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

So does that mean that Havenite is Have a nighty?

The Mantikerans and Havanighties.

The new Hatfields and McCoys.

:lol:

I'm sorry for the troubles RFC. I know it assaults your sense of perfection. Kudos for readily taking the blame. But is Allyson not a fan? How could she not have questioned that?

Listening to it would really irk me. On the other hand, it may prove to be a collector's item far into the future.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jeff Donohue   » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:51 am

Jeff Donohue
Ensign

Oh, there are other mispronunciations and annoyances as well. Our Sol system is always pronounced Saul, She gives anyone with a french name a french accent, no matter the system of origin. Now she does an excellent job with the accent, all accents actually. But I find that also seems wrong to me. Some characters are given a pure appalachian redneck accent, some, like Hamish Alexander sound like a geriatric patient on their deathbed at times. But I can get through those. But the mangling of Manticorans is just so fundamentally wrong, and really detracts from my enjoyment of these, my favorite stories. Oh Woe is Me!

Return to Honorverse