Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

New 1632verse releases from Baen

Alternate history buff? Wander on over for a discussion about Eric Flint's 1632 series!
Re: New 1632verse releases from Baen
Post by Senior Chief   » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:06 am

Senior Chief
Commander

pokermind wrote:
Hutch wrote:And the E-ARC for Commander Cantrell is now available from the Baen website (just acquired it Monday night).

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-2371-1636-commander-cantrell-in-the-west-indies-earc.aspx

Poker :D

I liked the book but not the cover art... The ship should be lower in the water... with that much freeboard its a wonder it did not keel over.
The Cover Art Is Way Off And Why
Post by HB of CJ   » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:47 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I do not understand why the cover art is so wrong. Anybody ever do a critic before they went to press? Anybody?

Or put more gently...even I could have done much better with all the book covers and I am not even remotely an artist.

The dead bad guy in the alley with the good guy standing over him with the uptime pistol is done wrong. Tactically stupid.

The observation car from the airship is wrong. Wrong shape. Wrong rigging. No comm line observable. Just me?

That steam sailing ship is a joke. It would just capsize. Hull wrong for era. Stack wrong. Guns wrong. Speedboat OK.

Besides everything being wrong with cover art, I am now looking very forward to reading all this new stuff. Hot dogs!

HB of CJ (old coot) Lt.Cm. :) Sorry for rant. Errors like this are easily correctable, but were not. Why?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:02 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Well 1636: The Viennese Waltz was released in November 2014.

Apparently, the next two books in the series are:L

Grantville Gazette VII due out in May 2015 and

1636: The Cardinal Virtues due out in July 2015.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:29 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Well 1636: The Viennese Waltz was released in November 2014.

I read the snippets for the Viennese Waltz on Eric's site...and was not impressed. The RoF is diven by it's interesting and varied characters, and none of the ones I met in this book as they were presented were of the least interest to me. I'll probably pick it up eventually as a paperback...maybe I will have mellowed by then...

I'll paperback the GG (member of the site), but I am looking forward to the Cardinal Virtues; just hope it doesn't disappoint.

And I am still patiently waiting to find out what happened to our Parcel of Rogues left wandering England and Scotland, not to mention those folks in Amsterdam....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:22 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

SPOILER ALERT VIENNESE WALTZ
Hutch wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:Well 1636: The Viennese Waltz was released in November 2014.

I read the snippets for the Viennese Waltz on Eric's site...and was not impressed. The RoF is diven by it's interesting and varied characters, and none of the ones I met in this book as they were presented were of the least interest to me. I'll probably pick it up eventually as a paperback...maybe I will have mellowed by then...

I'll paperback the GG (member of the site), but I am looking forward to the Cardinal Virtues; just hope it doesn't disappoint.

And I am still patiently waiting to find out what happened to our Parcel of Rogues left wandering England and Scotland, not to mention those folks in Amsterdam....

It is true that most of the characters in Viennese Waltz are from the Sewing Circle series of stories, and are not that interesting, unless you liked that series of stories. What is more interesting is the background being laid for the eventual war between Austria and the Ottoman Empire.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by pokermind   » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:32 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Coming in January continuation of story from Baltic War of England:

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to Assiti Shards