Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests

War of the Fallen Spoiler

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: War of the Fallen Spoiler
Post by dwileye13   » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:11 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

EdThomas wrote:
Snip

OAR doesn't tell us much about the war.

Your thoughts...

The Rakuri was used and could have been used to eliminate any energy signatures it detected. Non-nuclear destruction on a nuclear scale. "God" striking the heretics down. When you get to chasing individuals down on a planetary scale you would go with acceptable low tech equipment like swords and it would take decades.

If anyone wanted to use an energy weapon, they would received a gift from above in the order of a megaton kinetic package - regardless of what side you are on.
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by pokermind   » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:30 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

OAR is missing all but the start of the War of the fallen and what happened after Langhore's death, just one confused Angel and we're in Merlin's lair. Merlin had only the obviously, according to SoSK, doctored records of the war of the fallen. The fact that the records the Wit and Testimonies cannot be trusted will possibly help the acceptance of the TRUTH.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by schoeffelk   » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:37 am

schoeffelk
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Even this 'last strike' against the Shrine of Seijin Kohdy would have been seen by some who would wonder why this hero of the War would be struck by 'God'. The good soldiers of 'God' struck by the same 'God' they served.

The War of the Fallen lasted until the last Angel died.
Post by eldrwyrm   » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:38 pm

eldrwyrm
Lieutenant Commander

EdThomas wrote:Question 2. What roles, if any, did adamsandeves play? They were told by Langhorne's priests about the war with Shan-Wei. Its mentioned in their Testimonies and other journals.

We know that Harysyn, the Adam that meets with the un-named archangel in the early part of OAR, goes on to be greatly revered for the role he played in the war. In LAMA, something is named for him in honor of the role he played, though I can't remember what it was for the life of me, and I don't have a copy handy.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

eldrwyrm wrote:
EdThomas wrote:Question 2. What roles, if any, did adamsandeves play? They were told by Langhorne's priests about the war with Shan-Wei. Its mentioned in their Testimonies and other journals.

We know that Harysyn, ... In LAMA, something is named for him ...

That spelling doesn't appear in the eArc.

Although I would expect a river ford to meorialize a name like Harysyn. :P
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by chickladoria   » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:35 pm

chickladoria
Captain (Junior Grade)

I think Haryson (or whatever spelling) is the code name given to the Captain (ie Mandryn's cousin) who destroys the powder mills .
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere
Post by n7axw   » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:37 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

eldrwyrm wrote:

We know that Harysyn, the Adam that meets with the un-named archangel in the early part of OAR, goes on to be greatly revered for the role he played in the war. In LAMA, something is named for him in honor of the role he played, though I can't remember what it was for the life of me, and I don't have a copy handy.

Are we talking about Timothy Harrison, the mayor of Lakeview to whom we are introduced at the beginning of the Safehold story? I would be interested in the LAMA reference if you can come up with it.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:30 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IIRC there is no text evidence that Timothy Harrison is "Harysyn" the mortal who is said to have played a major role in the War of the Fallen.

By the way, Harysyn is mentioned in How Firm a Foundation and he's not called an Adam.

n7axw wrote:
eldrwyrm wrote:

Are we talking about Timothy Harrison, the mayor of Lakeview to whom we are introduced at the beginning of the Safehold story? I would be interested in the LAMA reference if you can come up with it.

Don
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Salisria   » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 pm

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

Rather than Timothy Harrison, I think a far better candidate for whom the code name refers would be Matthew Paul Harrison. He'd have been about the right age to be a companion of Seijin Kohdy, and considering what his great-grandfather Timothy thought of his great-grandson, it could be that his personality traits in some way contributed to the legend of Seijin Kohdy.

Return to Safehold