Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

The heir (spoilers)

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
The heir (spoilers)
Post by SYED   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:46 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

With Wencit recognition and able to wield the royal relic, Kenhodan will be seen as the heir to the thron of the old dynasty. The ruler of the empire of the axe once swore fealty to that throne. The nobles of the wind plain, they are descendants of the nobles of the empire. I wonder how many would swear to the heir even with no throne or empire. It could be the start of an official alliance against the wizard lords.
Re: The heir (spoilers)
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:54 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

SYED wrote:With Wencit recognition and able to wield the royal relic, Kenhodan will be seen as the heir to the thron of the old dynasty. The ruler of the empire of the axe once swore fealty to that throne. The nobles of the wind plain, they are descendants of the nobles of the empire. I wonder how many would swear to the heir even with no throne or empire. It could be the start of an official alliance against the wizard lords.

Wencit promised that there will be "No more thrones, no dynasties." I doubt that there will be any oaths of fealty.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by SYED   » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:58 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

While there won't be a throne or lands, I could see him getting a position on the council of Semkirk, they govern the mages and those warriors. The power of blade could be used to aid the council in dealing with black and blood magics. It would aid in a battle concerning ghouls, trolls, Devils and demons.
If he could join the power of the sword to the wild Mage, who knows what is possible. This guy is a warrior and now he has an epic sword, the council would provide a purpose and targets.
Post by Cartref   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I doubt that Kenhodan's history will ever be revealed, except maybe to a select few.

If it was revealed the push to have him reinstated on the throne would be huge, leading to the stress and pressure that he is so desperate to avoid (well at least his Toran persona that is). :lol:

I is even possible that the Toran persona may no longer exist, as he asked that Kenhodan prevail, not Toran. :?
Post by Morris Darkstar   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 pm

Morris Darkstar
Ensign

Maybe. I find it much more likely that it'll be a meld of the two. With Kenhodan's personality in the forefront and access to all of Toran's knowledge and skills, etc. And really a content version of Toran part of his consciousness. So yes, Toran wouldn't have the things he didn't want because it was 'Kenhodan' in charge, but in another view, the two have really melded and the new result chooses to mostly use Kenhodan's attitudes and perspectives -- but doesn't lose an intellectual version of Toran's perspectives and training. For one, Toran has a LOT of experience and training in ruling and commanding. Those skills are going to be needed if his body ends up with a major command and quite possibly even more responsibility.

Morris

Cartref wrote:I doubt that Kenhodan's history will ever be revealed, except maybe to a select few.

If it was revealed the push to have him reinstated on the throne would be huge, leading to the stress and pressure that he is so desperate to avoid (well at least his Toran persona that is). :lol:

I(t) is even possible that the Toran persona may no longer exist, as he asked that Kenhodan prevail, not Toran. :?
Post by Louis R   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I believe the spelling is Torren, actually.

And I don't think people should be making too many assumptions about just who Ken's passenger is at this point. It's occurred to me that apparently nobody knows exactly what became of Ottovar...

Morris Darkstar wrote:Maybe. I find it much more likely that it'll be a meld of the two. With Kenhodan's personality in the forefront and access to all of Toran's knowledge and skills, etc. And really a content version of Toran part of his consciousness. So yes, Toran wouldn't have the things he didn't want because it was 'Kenhodan' in charge, but in another view, the two have really melded and the new result chooses to mostly use Kenhodan's attitudes and perspectives -- but doesn't lose an intellectual version of Toran's perspectives and training. For one, Toran has a LOT of experience and training in ruling and commanding. Those skills are going to be needed if his body ends up with a major command and quite possibly even more responsibility.

Morris

Cartref wrote:I doubt that Kenhodan's history will ever be revealed, except maybe to a select few.

I(t) is even possible that the Toran persona may no longer exist, as he asked that Kenhodan prevail, not Toran. :?
Post by SYED   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:50 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

How he develops depends on what magics are laid upon the sword? For some reason I can see it being more than just a powerful weapon. He could remain just a warrior if the magics are just for combat, but if there are support magics, he would be able to use it outside of the battlefield.
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:24 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I doubt he will be a full fledged wild wizard like wencit but i expect he will have access to quite a bit of "white" magic when he needs it.
Post by SYED   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:26 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

I doubt he will be a full scale wild Mage, but seeing as the sword contains wild magic already, if he has some Mage talent, he could work together with the actual wild Mage.
Post by feyhunde   » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:23 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

SYED wrote:I doubt he will be a full scale wild Mage, but seeing as the sword contains wild magic already, if he has some Mage talent, he could work together with the actual wild Mage.

If Ken is Toren Swordarm, he could be magic, but I doubt it. His brother Herrick was a wild mage. Both are of the blood of Ottovar the Great, with Wizard magic in the blood. Herrick's mage crisis was also forced by Carnadosa rather than natural, and as a result made him weaker than Wencit. Toren might simply not have had a crisis yet, but I think he was old enough (decades had passed in the civil war between him and Herrick), and was literally the heir in a magic kingdom.

BTW, MWW's words are careful when he describes the final battle between Toren and Herrick. They are both dropped in their final battle. So I think they will fight. And rather than one using light magic and one dark, I think it's gonna be more a complete foil. One is magic, one is brawn. One is light, one is dark. One has lived those years in darkness, the other slept in light.

Return to War God