Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

the stricture

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
the stricture
Post by SYED   » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:08 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

from my reading, i only remeber the blood magic with out permission and using it on non magic users, spercificly non wizards. The thing that there are many potential wizards, there are simply no one to teach them or awaken their powers. Also, i wonder iof the mages count as a type of mutant wizard. The whole using magic on non wizards, does that mean indirectly or something. Are they forbidden from using their magic in any way to kill?
the baroness claims to keep to the rules, what loopholes does she use.

the way wencit released the strictures, seemed like the council was tied to it.

Blood magic was apparently very easy to access. If there was a way to simplify the process, then it woujld not be used.
Re: the stricture
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:05 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

SYED wrote:from my reading, i only remeber the blood magic with out permission and using it on non magic users, spercificly non wizards. The thing that there are many potential wizards, there are simply no one to teach them or awaken their powers.
I've worried some about that too. It's very hard if you've got the talent for wizardry not to practice it, but Wencit's allowed Norfressa to go all this time without any way for wizards to train within the Strictures. Your options are (1) resist wizardry entirely, (2) use it and try to remain within whatever knowledge of the Strictures you've got on your own, or (3) use it, slip up, and wait for a final appointment with the shiny-eyed Terminator.

Something in SotS - I have no better recollection than that, alas - seemed to suggest that the step from having a talent for (wand) wizardry and being able to practice it wasn't a trivially easy step, so I guess Wencit's plan has been to keep that from being easy. And he may tolerate a certain "grubbiness" among Norfressan wand wizards who don't seriously kick the Strictures around.

Also, i wonder iof the mages count as a type of mutant wizard. The whole using magic on non wizards, does that mean indirectly or something. Are they forbidden from using their magic in any way to kill?
The specific thing not to do has been noted as "to harm". Creating illusions for them to see seems to be within bounds - at least some illusions for some purposes.
Post by SYED   » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:00 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

I bet he goes after the ones that use blood magic, more than the ones that use magic on non wizards. There is a wide range of magics that could be cast on non wizards, while blood magic is killing each time and addictive.
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:46 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

it also partly by governed by consent.

blood magic is only wrong if it is non-willinng, i.e. ritual sacrifice like sharna uses to summon demons.

if a wizard uses say a parents blood to cast a spell to help their child, then wencit may want to keep a closer eye to make sure said wizard doesn't stoop to taking blood without permission for his spells but technically the wizard has done no wrong.

Return to War God