Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Updated map for SotS

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Updated map for SotS
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Noticed this over on Toni's Table and thought I would post it here.

http://baen.com/SoSmap.jpg

I don't see any spoilers but I am only 15% into the book at this point.

Enjoy,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Re: Updated map for SotS
Post by dan92677   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:16 pm

dan92677
Commander

Thank you for the map link!

Now I can read it!!!!

I sure do hope that we get an explanation for the city "star" markings.

At last I can see exactly where the canal runs.
Post by AClone   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:44 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

Thank you! I rarely go to the Bar, and looking now, I can't find ANYTHING there!
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:59 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

AClone wrote:Thank you! I rarely go to the Bar, and looking now, I can't find ANYTHING there!

You are welcome.

As I said it is in Toni's Table. Under the thread labeled "so where is the sword of the south earc".

The bar is pretty much an acquired or eclectic or maybe eccentric taste and understand why many don't do there. But if you really want to find an answer to some things it seems like the place to go.

Mostly, "I remember this one line ... (an unknown book)" someone will generally have an answer in under a day. They are truly scary.

Of course for some, the politics and several other conferences are even worse for different reasons.

The bar tends as a whole to somewhat less polite than here. For which we should all be thankful for Duckk!

Enjoy,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by dan92677   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:42 pm

dan92677
Commander

Sure do wish that at least the places that have played important roles in the prior books were included, tho...

I was rereading OoS and trying to follow the story on the map as it progressed. Quite difficult.

Still, the map is very nice, as far as it goes.
Post by FriarBob   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:12 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Is it my imagination or did this have some significant changes from the previous maps? Among other things, I didn't think the Empire of the Axe extended so far northeast, or that it actually bordered on the Sothoii. Thought there was a significant gap between them filled in by a bunch of minor territories (like Esgan and Darenfel, among others).

Is this a case of faulty memory or of "in case of emergency, break continent"??
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:55 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

FriarBob wrote:Is it my imagination or did this have some significant changes from the previous maps? Among other things, I didn't think the Empire of the Axe extended so far northeast, or that it actually bordered on the Sothoii. Thought there was a significant gap between them filled in by a bunch of minor territories (like Esgan and Darenfel, among others).

I think the prior maps were very crude and hence very susceptible to misreading. I had always thought that the empire extended all the way to the Kingdom of the Sothoii far to the North. Those routes were not usefull for trade or even troop movements as they had to pass through mountain passes. The further North one went the more mountains one had to cross to move directly from the Empire to the Kingdom.
Post by Vince   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
FriarBob wrote:Is it my imagination or did this have some significant changes from the previous maps? Among other things, I didn't think the Empire of the Axe extended so far northeast, or that it actually bordered on the Sothoii. Thought there was a significant gap between them filled in by a bunch of minor territories (like Esgan and Darenfel, among others).

I think the prior maps were very crude and hence very susceptible to misreading. I had always thought that the empire extended all the way to the Kingdom of the Sothoii far to the North. Those routes were not usefull for trade or even troop movements as they had to pass through mountain passes. The further North one went the more mountains one had to cross to move directly from the Empire to the Kingdom.

Another possibility (haven't read SotS yet, waiting for the finished release): The maps for both sets of maps (previous and current) are accurate for the time when they where made.*

* As I understand it, SotS undergoes a significant Time Skip forward from WMC.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Thirdbase   » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:27 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

thinkstoomuch wrote:Noticed this over on Toni's Table and thought I would post it here.

Enjoy,
T2M

I always thought that the continent was big, but is the scale on that map correct? That makes the continent about 16,000 miles north to south. That's about 2/3 of earth's polar circumference. I don't remember Brandark and Bahzell talking about the south pole (or north pole) and got the impression that they were still in the same hemisphere or at least close to it.

So just how big is the planet they are on?
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by looksbeforeheleaps   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:12 am

looksbeforeheleaps
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

First, I want to add my thanks to thinkstoomuch for providing the link. It is much more detailed and readable than any of the other maps of Norfressa that I have seen.

Second, to Thirdbase, the legend is definitely not correct.

By the legend, the Derm canal would be over 2,500 miles long. Yet in Chapter 4 of War Maid's Choice (specifically, page 56, paragraph 3 of the Hardback version) we learn that the canal is "almost four hundred leagues long". If the textev from WMC is correct, the distance marked as 1250 miles on the map legend would need to be under 600 miles.

That would still have Norfressa stretching about 8,000 miles north to south, which suggests that its planet is considerably larger than earth. I say that because trying to paste the map of Norfressa onto a Terra-sized globe would put the Arctic circle near Dwarvenhame and Riverside around the latitude of Bhopal, India or central Mexico or the southern Sahara. This would not be at all consistent with the weather described after Bahzell and company left Riverside in Oath of Swords, so my money is on a bigger planet.
Thirdbase wrote:
thinkstoomuch wrote:Noticed this over on Toni's Table and thought I would post it here.

Enjoy,
T2M

I always thought that the continent was big, but is the scale on that map correct? That makes the continent about 16,000 miles north to south. That's about 2/3 of earth's polar circumference. I don't remember Brandark and Bahzell talking about the south pole (or north pole) and got the impression that they were still in the same hemisphere or at least close to it.

So just how big is the planet they are on?

Return to War God