Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

official snippet #10

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: official snippet #10
Post by tootall   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:48 am

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

jsburbidge wrote:
The fact that himself has elided what were to be two additional Bahzell books from the publication schedule doesn't mean that he's elided the events in them from the timeline.

Had to look that one up:
elide- to omit (a vowel, consonant, or syllable) in pronouncing. Your usage may be incorrect-
Post by jsburbidge   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:08 am

jsburbidge
Ensign

tootall wrote:jsburbidge wrote:
The fact that himself has elided what were to be two additional Bahzell books from the publication schedule doesn't mean that he's elided the events in them from the timeline.

Had to look that one up:
elide- to omit (a vowel, consonant, or syllable) in pronouncing. Your usage may be incorrect-

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

a. To omit or slur over (a syllable, for example) in
pronunciation.
b. To strike out (something written).
a. To eliminate or leave out of consideration.
b. To cut short; abridge.

Usage is consistent with 2 a.

ETA: Whence, elision, something removed. See also ellipsis (figure of speech) and ellipse (conic section), from the same root.
Last edited by jsburbidge on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by dan92677   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:10 am

dan92677
Commander

I agree with elide.

I would love to see the notes that himself has. Sigh, maybe some fine day in the future, if we all live that long...
Post by tootall   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:50 pm

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

a. To omit or slur over (a syllable, for example) in
pronunciation.
b. To strike out (something written).
a. To eliminate or leave out of consideration.
b. To cut short; abridge.

Usage is consistent with 2 a.

WELL, MY DICTIONARY-Oxford American Dictionary (paperback)-only had the first definition- The dratted thing elided the next ones. Anyway, my error, and humble apologies are offered.
Post by HungryKing   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 am

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

I've been thinking this over, one thing we do know is that the multiverse setup MWW has in mind is truly vast in number, probably infinite in truth.
This is where it gets tricky, or so I am guessing, we do know that not all the possible infinite branches happen, mortal choice does matter, which means some universe groups are more valuable than other, or to put it another way, some inifinities are sparser than others, and no that is not a contradiction in terms, it is a weird truth that happens when the nature of infinity is examined.

As for the specific question of Bahzhell destroying the devils, remember that, unlike what a devil can manage, Bahzhell actually destroyed them rather than simply destroying the version in a single universe, something tells me that Krashnark's inifinity is slightly sparser than it was before, and even tiny shifts might have tremendous effects.

PeterZ wrote:
jsburbidge wrote:
That has actually been answered fairly clearly: the multiverse (which, as described, looks more like the multi-brane multiverse of modern cosmological theory than the continually branching splitting of Everett-Wheeler-Graham) was formed out of what had originally been the single body of Orr's power. The more universes Phrobus controls, either directly or by his agents the other dark gods, the more of that power he can draw on. Shifts in balance of power at that extra-universal level can have effects which can be perceived by the gods directly but not by created beings inside the universes, i.e. they change the local landscape.

The point isn't how the universes split, but how each decides who gets to control it. That is done by the beings within each. Phrobus' comment suggests that one decision or cusp influences an entire cable of universes. It may mean that a cable of universe will contain the same choice to be made. I doubt that as that would suggests that every prior choice in all those universes have been the same. Where would the variations be that define a different universe?

No, more likely some interconnection spans the universes. That interconnection drives the slightly different cusps in all the variant universes in that cable Phrobus mentions. How that manifests will be interesting. Will Kenhoden jumping universes set up the variant cusps? Will spirits like Vaijon and others do their fair share of influencing? Will killing universe jumpers for the Dark in one universe improve the odds of another universe defeating the Dark? So would OUR Bahzell draw so much resources from the Dark's reserves that other universes have an easier time?

Lots of possibilities. I can't wait to find out how close to right or woefully wrong my speculation is.
Post by DanNeely   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:00 am

DanNeely
Ensign

tootall wrote:WELL, MY DICTIONARY-Oxford American Dictionary (paperback)-only had the first definition- The dratted thing elided the next ones. Anyway, my error, and humble apologies are offered.

Unfortunately paperback dictionaries end up eliding the vast majority of words/definitions that a reasonably literate person might not know due to rarity. IMO, unless you're willing to buy a hard cover doorstop 3 or 4 inches thick you might as well give up on using anything except the dictionary of Google.
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:39 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

That's one of the things I like about 'codeword'-style puzzles. The well-educated can say 'oh, what a rare word!' while others say 'what does that word mean?' and go to look it up (in a proper dictionary).
Cheers
John

DanNeely wrote:
tootall wrote:WELL, MY DICTIONARY-Oxford American Dictionary (paperback)-only had the first definition- The dratted thing elided the next ones. Anyway, my error, and humble apologies are offered.

Unfortunately paperback dictionaries end up eliding the vast majority of words/definitions that a reasonably literate person might not know due to rarity. IMO, unless you're willing to buy a hard cover doorstop 3 or 4 inches thick you might as well give up on using anything except the dictionary of Google.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:44 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

If you read the prologue to WMC, Phrobus' description of the creation of the multiverse describes it as finite. That accident used some defined amount of Orr's power to create a finite amount of possible universes. The beings within do not have an infinite amount of viable options to choose from. Bahzell for example simply wouldn't have chosen to act like Churnaz' sons in any possible iteration of his life.

I would agree that the more resources from "decided" universes the Dark is forced to divert to defeating Bahzell, the fewer options the Dark will have in other battles. The more of those resources Bahzell defeats, the weaker the Dark becomes.

Just had a thought. Wencit just alluded to a danger more powerful than Devils. That is suggestive of magic/sorcery. The implication is Carnadosa and magic are the Dark's greatest threat to the God's of Light. Defeating magic appears to be what Wencit has tasked himself to do.

HungryKing wrote:I've been thinking this over, one thing we do know is that the multiverse setup MWW has in mind is truly vast in number, probably infinite in truth.
This is where it gets tricky, or so I am guessing, we do know that not all the possible infinite branches happen, mortal choice does matter, which means some universe groups are more valuable than other, or to put it another way, some inifinities are sparser than others, and no that is not a contradiction in terms, it is a weird truth that happens when the nature of infinity is examined.

As for the specific question of Bahzhell destroying the devils, remember that, unlike what a devil can manage, Bahzhell actually destroyed them rather than simply destroying the version in a single universe, something tells me that Krashnark's inifinity is slightly sparser than it was before, and even tiny shifts might have tremendous effects.

Post by AClone   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:04 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

Just a couple of thoughts(without having read every thread for every snippet).

Just because we're only currently seeing one child of Bahzell and Leanna doesn't mean that she is the only child. Older siblings could be...anywhere.

Is the direcat the "other" Champion of Tomanek present?

Our wayward "redhaired man" could conceivably have been banished/summoned from another "dimension" himself. After all, Wencit alluded to his "arrival".

Sorry, that's all I got. For now. Just checking in for another snippet.

Return to War God