Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

SotS Official Snippet #3

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SotS Official Snippet #3
Post by brnicholas   » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:25 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

On the other hand why would a Tavern owner seeing a wet and broke stranger coming in out of the rain offer him a free meal?

I read Bahzell as leading him back to the private dining room where the rest of his party was staying and calling ahead to let them know to prepare an extra place.

The clothing though is a strong pointer against my theory. We will probably know for sure in a few more snippets.

Nicholas

DrakBibliophile wrote:Yes, Bahzell would be willing to greet a stranger so warmly.

However, this hradani was acting as would a tavern owner would to a traveler coming in out of the rain not as a guest in the tavern would act.

If it was Bahzell, as a guest in the tavern, why would he call out to another guest about bringing food to a fellow traveler?

The hradani's words are those of the owner of the tavern or a person in charge of the tavern.

brnicholas wrote:Reading the responses I am confused.

Why do people assume Bahzell is tending the bar? It seems fully in character for him to be sitting at the entrance of the common room at the inn where he is spending the night and warmly greeting anyone who comes in. Spending a night in an inn while traveling is fully in character. And if warmly embracing a strange poor man who walked in isn't normal for him, it isn't all that abnormal either and, maybe Himself gave an order.

At this point I see no reason not to believe that this is our Bahzell and Leeana traveling together on business with a party of friends and retainers.

The direcat is new but I thought DW said this story was going to be set a number of years in the future and Bahzell has plenty of friends connected with Gods who might have acquired one in all kinds of ways.

Nicholas
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:33 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Kindness to strangers and perhaps he knows somebody who could use a guard.

Still, as you said, we may know more in a few snippets. :)

brnicholas wrote:On the other hand why would a Tavern owner seeing a wet and broke stranger coming in out of the rain offer him a free meal?

I read Bahzell as leading him back to the private dining room where the rest of his party was staying and calling ahead to let them know to prepare an extra place.

The clothing though is a strong pointer against my theory. We will probably know for sure in a few more snippets.

Nicholas

DrakBibliophile wrote:Yes, Bahzell would be willing to greet a stranger so warmly.

However, this hradani was acting as would a tavern owner would to a traveler coming in out of the rain not as a guest in the tavern would act.

If it was Bahzell, as a guest in the tavern, why would he call out to another guest about bringing food to a fellow traveler?

The hradani's words are those of the owner of the tavern or a person in charge of the tavern.

Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:07 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

brnicholas wrote:On the other hand why would a Tavern owner seeing a wet and broke stranger coming in out of the rain offer him a free meal?

Nicholas

Of course there is always the statement:
The white apron over the leathers of a fighting man — and the sheathed Wakūo hook knife at his hip —

Bolding is mine - why would a barkeep be wearing the leathers of a fighting man?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:18 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:

Nicholas

Of course there is always the statement:
The white apron over the leathers of a fighting man — and the sheathed Wakūo hook knife at his hip —

Bolding is mine - why would a barkeep be wearing the leathers of a fighting man?

To present the most intimidating bouncer to potential trouble makers. That might the reason everyone is relaxed. Not even a bigoted fool would cause problems in that bar with a 7'6" hradani in fighting leathers keeping the peace.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:34 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Of course there is always the statement:

That's why I suggested that Bahzell was only temporarily acting as Barkeep; covering for a friend, or something similar.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Peter2   » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:31 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

As has been said, if this is Bahzell, what's he doing behind the bar? Also, where did the direcat come from, and how come it is (apparently) associated with him? Additionally, I don't recall any mention of a Wakuo knife in any of the previous stories.

I don't believe that this is "our" Bahzell acting under cover. In their own world, Bahzell and Leeana will by now be so well known that a covert role would be impossible for either of them – a hradani married to a human, and the first hradani Champion of Tomanâk? He'd stand out like a sore thumb on a hale hand. The only person who won't have heard of him is probably an agoraphobic hermit living at the back of beyond. Bahzell might be doing a favour for a friend. That's possible, but doesn't explain the direcat.

There is, however, another possibility. In Sword Brother, Ken Houghton was transferred from another world, and Tomanâk made the point that the Gods were contending over a myriad of worlds. Could it be that this is another world, similar but not the same? In which case, this might not be "our" Bahzell at all.

I have every confidence that all will be disclosed in due course, RFC. It's just that the wait is killing me – is there a smiley for *going crazy*? :roll:

Return to War God