Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Brandark's God and other things.....

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: Brandark's God and other things.....
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:30 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

I had looked at this quote and you might be giving to much weight to the wrong part.

While in a rage state they are unable to be controlled, not immune.

Remember the time when Bahzell was saved from a spell by Wencit deflecting it with a spell. Which was different from he was saving the boy from the weaker wizard and that wizard tried to control him. All Bahzell felt was a tug at his mind.

used to be quite sure about several things and this topic makes me much less sure.

Thank you all,
T2M

Skia wrote:More reading about Hradani and the rage. From the Pearls of Weber - The Nature of the Hradani on this site...

If you go back and look at the point in Oath of Swords at which Bahzell and Brandark are explaining to Tothas, what Bahzell actually says is "no wizard ever born can control a hradani who's given himself to the Rage." The most significant two words of that sentence are "given himself." In other words, Brandark and Bahzell are not referring to a hradani who's been "taken" by the Rage.
Male are virtually immune to sorcery when they summon the Rage. Female hradani are not, because it's impossible for them to summon the Rage in the first place. This, as I'm sure you can see, could have some interesting (not to say ominous) implications for future events.

So first we must acknowledge that there are two different forms of rage. The original uncontrollable bloodlust that seems to have no effect on sorcery and the newer summoned version that does seem to make the hradani virtually immune to sorcery.
What that virtual immunity means though I am not sure. What I think that means is that they cannot be directly controlled or affected by sorcery. However they can still be harmed by the effects of sorcery. If a wizard collapses a roof on a hradani he will still be crushed. If a wizard creates a ball of fire and sends it at a hradani he will probably still be burned since although the fire's origin is sorcery that doesn't really change the fact that fire burns after it is in existance. The presence of a hradani in rage can disrupt the casting of spells by weak and/or inexperienced wizards, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are immune to all effects of all spells.
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Skia   » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:29 pm

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

thinkstoomuch wrote:I had looked at this quote and you might be giving to much weight to the wrong part.

While in a rage state they are unable to be controlled, not immune.

Remember the time when Bahzell was saved from a spell by Wencit deflecting it with a spell. Which was different from he was saving the boy from the weaker wizard and that wizard tried to control him. All Bahzell felt was a tug at his mind.

used to be quite sure about several things and this topic makes me much less sure.

Thank you all,
T2M

Skia wrote:More reading about Hradani and the rage. From the Pearls of Weber - The Nature of the Hradani on this site...

If you go back and look at the point in Oath of Swords at which Bahzell and Brandark are explaining to Tothas, what Bahzell actually says is "no wizard ever born can control a hradani who's given himself to the Rage." The most significant two words of that sentence are "given himself." In other words, Brandark and Bahzell are not referring to a hradani who's been "taken" by the Rage.
Male are virtually immune to sorcery when they summon the Rage. Female hradani are not, because it's impossible for them to summon the Rage in the first place. This, as I'm sure you can see, could have some interesting (not to say ominous) implications for future events.

So first we must acknowledge that there are two different forms of rage. The original uncontrollable bloodlust that seems to have no effect on sorcery and the newer summoned version that does seem to make the hradani virtually immune to sorcery.
What that virtual immunity means though I am not sure. What I think that means is that they cannot be directly controlled or affected by sorcery. However they can still be harmed by the effects of sorcery. If a wizard collapses a roof on a hradani he will still be crushed. If a wizard creates a ball of fire and sends it at a hradani he will probably still be burned since although the fire's origin is sorcery that doesn't really change the fact that fire burns after it is in existance. The presence of a hradani in rage can disrupt the casting of spells by weak and/or inexperienced wizards, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are immune to all effects of all spells.

Just a note that the term "virtually immune", wasn't from me but from the Pearls of Weber on this site. I'm not really sure what he meant by that. Just trying to puzzle it out.
Post by Jay6722   » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:03 am

Jay6722
Commander

Skia I would expect the phrase virtually immune means that it's extremely difficult to use magic against a Hradani male, but not quite impossible.

He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Post by Skia   » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 am

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jay6722 wrote:Skia I would expect the phrase virtually immune means that it's extremely difficult to use magic against a Hradani male, but not quite impossible.

You are probably right, especially given the fact that I did not take into account one instance where Bahzell was directly affected by sorcery. I allowed for effects but not direct assault and that was a mistaken assumption.

One question I am thinking about though is whether or not the New Rage affects that which is done by mages as opposed to wizards.
scholarsongs re: Poetry
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:49 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

"School days, school days, dear old Golden Rule Days!
You were my dream, in calico,
I was your [something] scholar beau!"

And then there were all of those Movie Musicals set
in college. Hollywood made them, Bollywood makes them,,,

H True Map-addict

[quote="Brom O'Berin"]
Don't know if I've ever heard a song with the phrase "His life, his love, and his Lady was .... scholarship?"

[quote="Howard T. Map-addict"]
Say What?
Don't you believe in The Poetry Of Scholarship??
If not, how did you ever find your way here?!?!!

Howard Naughty Moose
Post by Jay6722   » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Jay6722
Commander

From how the mage talents have been described I think the new rage would be useless. The mage talents have been described as being drawn directly from the mage's mind not some outside force like sorcery.

Skia wrote:
Jay6722 wrote:Skia I would expect the phrase virtually immune means that it's extremely difficult to use magic against a Hradani male, but not quite impossible.

You are probably right, especially given the fact that I did not take into account one instance where Bahzell was directly affected by sorcery. I allowed for effects but not direct assault and that was a mistaken assumption.

One question I am thinking about though is whether or not the New Rage affects that which is done by mages as opposed to wizards.
Post by Emo Otaku   » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:11 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

Jay6722 wrote:From how the mage talents have been described I think the new rage would be useless. The mage talents have been described as being drawn directly from the mage's mind not some outside force like sorcery.

Skia wrote:

As I understand it the power of Wizrds and Mages are different only in where the power comes form, i.e. wizrds use the power around them while mages use the power from within (which is why they are much more limited, and personalised in what skills they can use)
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by Jay6722   » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:57 am

Jay6722
Commander

That might be true Emo Otaku.

Emo Otaku wrote:
Jay6722 wrote:From how the mage talents have been described I think the new rage would be useless. The mage talents have been described as being drawn directly from the mage's mind not some outside force like sorcery.

Post by valcour   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:57 pm

valcour
Midshipman

If Chesmirsa has not specified it was her "brother" that Brandark was closest too, I would consider Hirahim a good candidate. He is the Laughing God, and Brandark provides much of the comedy for the series. Hirahim is not her brother, so I am leaning towards Semkirk. Hope it's resolved in the next book.
Post by BrightSoul   » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:05 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

I think we've narrowed down Brandark's options at least although I tend more towards the Semkirk aspect than Korthralla. Poetry requires scholarship, the opposite is not true.

At least from what I can see, I've known a few sailors who are damn good sailors who haven't a poetic bone in their bodies.

Return to War God