Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests

What's under the Temple? A new possibility.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: What's under the Temple? A new possibility.
Post by mhicks   » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:31 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:
My laptop doesn't have an external aerial either, but that doesn't mean you could put a wi-fi setup inside me! On top of that, we have all sorts ways of establishing Broadband connections in RL. The TF would be the same. The fact that the PICAs have technology which produces certain of the same results as a NEAT doesn't remotely imply they must be using the same kind of technology.

As you point out, the textev is that a NEAT would be detectable by even a cursory examination by a Pasqualate healer. Why hasn't yet been made clear, but RFC says it's so.

So what happened to each of the million Adams' and Eves' bodies? Just one surviving body exhumed would reveal the tech integrated with the brain and host body. I can't recal if saint kody's body was in the mountain with Helms Cleaver and the journal. If it was... :twisted: the truth will be coming out
Post by Bluesqueak   » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

mhicks wrote:
So what happened to each of the million Adams' and Eves' bodies? Just one surviving body exhumed would reveal the tech integrated with the brain and host body. I can't recal if saint kody's body was in the mountain with Helms Cleaver and the journal. If it was... :twisted: the truth will be coming out

It wouldn't reveal 'tech' because Pascalates wouldn't understand it as 'tech'. The Vicars, Temple Guard etc are surrounded by tech - but have been taught to understand it as miraculous/mystic works by the Archangels. We see that with Cody's diary, when he talks about the holy sickbay. It's not tech, it's mystic.

Similarly, any difference between the bodies of the Adams and Eves and the bodies of people born on Safehold was clearly due to the 'fact' that the Adams and Eves were God's direct creation. Everything high-tech (never getting sick, longer lives) was explained by that.

Several centuries on, any Pascalate knows perfectly well that the Adams and Eves are long dead - and the Archangels have departed in glory. Weird stuff like NEATs in someone who clearly isn't an Adam or an Eve is going to be explained in one of two ways: the work of Shan-Wei, or God's direct work.

Ironically, the only people who could possibly have NEATs (without it being demonic) are the people who don't need them - the seijins.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:35 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
mhicks wrote:

It wouldn't reveal 'tech' because Pascalates wouldn't understand it as 'tech'. The Vicars, Temple Guard etc are surrounded by tech - but have been taught to understand it as miraculous/mystic works by the Archangels. We see that with Cody's diary, when he talks about the holy sickbay. It's not tech, it's mystic.

Similarly, any difference between the bodies of the Adams and Eves and the bodies of people born on Safehold was clearly due to the 'fact' that the Adams and Eves were God's direct creation. Everything high-tech (never getting sick, longer lives) was explained by that.

Several centuries on, any Pascalate knows perfectly well that the Adams and Eves are long dead - and the Archangels have departed in glory. Weird stuff like NEATs in someone who clearly isn't an Adam or an Eve is going to be explained in one of two ways: the work of Shan-Wei, or God's direct work.

Ironically, the only people who could possibly have NEATs (without it being demonic) are the people who don't need them - the seijins.

This is true. But it could be that Merlin and Nimue would learn something. Not everything was included in Owl's data base. But I would wonder if enough would be left of the remains to provide useful info.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:43 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Given that there are several (many?) 'legitimate' saints with funded Orders who tend their shrines, I expect that the Archangels did something to deal with the problem. Even Khody's shrine and order was 'legitimate' at first so I think that would apply to him too. It may just be as simple as the NEAT tech being biodegradeable once the body containing it is dead. Alternatively, the embalming fluid used to protect the body may have contained nanites to dissolve the NEAT Tech. One can easily see the Archangels insisting that the bodies of saints be honoured by the use of 'the best, special' or even some particularly 'holy' embalming fluid.
Post by jamesadams   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:06 pm

jamesadams
Midshipman

so old thread but was intrigued by the speculation.
maybe I missed it in a previous thread, since this one says 'a new possibility', but I always assumed that 'under the temple' were the actual archangels in suspended animation, frozen for 1000 years until awoken to 'check-in' on the state of their grand project... we know the Fed tech could do this because the original colonists were reprogrammed while in suspended animation, so its a short leap to think they brought the equipment down from the ship to do this.
Is there something in the series that would contradict that assumption?

As for the handprint, I like the idea that its got a build in brainwave scanner for the unlock. you wouldnt want to assume other bits would not be lost over the course of 1000 years so you'd likely build it stand-alone and the other hints are just there in the text to support the ability to do that, but not require the additional pieces...
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Only a thought by Merlin that there are limits on Federation "suspended animation" technology.

IE It could be used to suspend life for decades but not for centuries.

jamesadams wrote:so old thread but was intrigued by the speculation.
maybe I missed it in a previous thread, since this one says 'a new possibility', but I always assumed that 'under the temple' were the actual archangels in suspended animation, frozen for 1000 years until awoken to 'check-in' on the state of their grand project... we know the Fed tech could do this because the original colonists were reprogrammed while in suspended animation, so its a short leap to think they brought the equipment down from the ship to do this.
Is there something in the series that would contradict that assumption?

As for the handprint, I like the idea that its got a build in brainwave scanner for the unlock. you wouldnt want to assume other bits would not be lost over the course of 1000 years so you'd likely build it stand-alone and the other hints are just there in the text to support the ability to do that, but not require the additional pieces...
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by ewlandmine99   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:45 am

ewlandmine99
Midshipman

Here's a twisted thought. What if Schueler were a double agent? Perhaps what is under the temple is actually another string in Shan Wei's bow.
Post by William Underhill   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:32 am

William Underhill
Midshipman

jamesadams wrote:As for the handprint, I like the idea that its got a build in brainwave scanner for the unlock. you wouldnt want to assume other bits would not be lost over the course of 1000 years so you'd likely build it stand-alone and the other hints are just there in the text to support the ability to do that, but not require the additional pieces...

Another possibility occurs to me: The Heart, the Stone and handprints are a "2 of 3" verification system. Sure, the descendants of Schueler are told they must have all three present... but if it's a "2 of 3" system, it does allow for the possibility that one or the other of the heart and stone could be lost.
---
“Take sides! Always take sides! You will sometimes be wrong - but the man who refuses to take sides must always be wrong. Heaven save us from poltroons who fear to make a choice.” R.A. Heinlein, Double Star
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:41 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

ewlandmine99 wrote:Here's a twisted thought. What if Schueler were a double agent? Perhaps what is under the temple is actually another string in Shan Wei's bow.

Well, that surely is twisted... I like it.

Welcome to the back room Midshipman Landmine ;) Keep those ideas coming.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Joat42   » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Joat42
Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:
ewlandmine99 wrote:Here's a twisted thought. What if Schueler were a double agent? Perhaps what is under the temple is actually another string in Shan Wei's bow.

Well, that surely is twisted... I like it.

Welcome to the back room Midshipman Landmine ;) Keep those ideas coming.

Well, RFC has a tendency to foreshadow things but we usually don't pick up on it until the "big reveal".

In this instance I'm divided on if it's possible or not. The book of Schueler (the 1st edition) is a strike against the idea but the Key and the hologram of Schueler is somewhat for the idea. We really don't have enough information to say yay or nay...

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Safehold