Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests

How the Safehold series WON'T end

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: How the Safehold series WON'T end
Post by WeberFan   » Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

SNIP
Dauntless wrote:to be fair Alicia Devriss and Bahzell Bahnkson won't need a lot of help, even from the highly capable Prince Roger

Perhaps not a lot of help, but it would be cool to see the other two Furies resurrected...
Post by phillies   » Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 am

phillies
Admiral

In one of the Skylark series -- same as noted above, but above was understated -- the hero used a *galaxy* as ammunition.
Post by chrisd   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:38 pm

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

rmsgrey wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:I think any of RAH's last few novels could qualify, but Number of the Beast really established the multi-verse setting where all of RAH's characters met at a grand convention after a multi-dimensional romp around classic Fantasy and Science Fiction -- including stops on Barsoom and Oz.

Well, 3 of his last 5 - Number of the Beast, The Cat Who Walked Through Walls, and To Sail Beyond The Sunset - of the other two, Friday is something of a throwback to his earlier novels, and Job, A Comedy of Justice just doesn't have any crossovers, but tackles some of the same themes.

I did like the way RAH proposed dealing with the interuniversal "Black Hats" and Apparatchiki

call an interstellar conference and lure them with:-
1) Free admission - but no exit provided
2) Extensive Free Bar - but no booze
3) Superb canteen and restaurant facilities - but no food

Commissariat by the Kilkenny Cats method.
Post by Charybdis   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:53 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Bringing this thread back into view! :D

In this time of lock-down/-up/-in for the pandemic, I've been re-re-re ... doing the series when I was hit with this thirst for our author's most fun FLASH story! If there are newbies around who have not read this, go to page 1 and read it, you won't regret it! Of course (for the date) it does not have Nimue and a lot of the later developments *BUT* what a wild ride! :!:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:33 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Charybdis wrote:Bringing this thread back into view! :D

In this time of lock-down/-up/-in for the pandemic, I've been re-re-re ... doing the series when I was hit with this thirst for our author's most fun FLASH story! If there are newbies around who have not read this, go to page 1 and read it, you won't regret it! Of course (for the date) it does not have Nimue and a lot of the later developments *BUT* what a wild ride! :!:

Thank you 1,000,000 (WOW 2013) Seems like an entirely different world...
I had forgotten that...

I have been re re reading the Honor Harrington series and at the present time in this read through, she is getting ready to go to Camp Inferno.

By good fortune, I have the entire series as well as the Safehold many as hard bound, others as kindle so, while the local libraries and book stores are closed, I can toss another log on the fire and pour three fingers of scotch ;)

Find peace, stay safe
Avoid the crowds and especially the mobs
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by DMcCunney   » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:36 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:I think any of RAH's last few novels could qualify, but Number of the Beast really established the multi-verse setting where all of RAH's characters met at a grand convention after a multi-dimensional romp around classic Fantasy and Science Fiction -- including stops on Barsoom and Oz.

Sounds right. Heinlein liked to play with solipsism, and NotB was his ultimate expression. It was written during a period when the sort of consistent universe Heinlein popularized with his Future History efforts became what everyone wanted to do, and authors busily retconned stories that had been stand alone to fit them into existing structures. (Like Asimov tying together his Foundation and Robots series.)

Heinlein managed to tie together not only everything he wrote, but everything anyone else had ever written as well. If the mind of man conceived it, it actually existed somewhere in the multiverse, and the protagonists had a ship with a drive that could go to places like Oz, Barsoom, and the Lensmen universe.

I almost fell of my chair laughing when I realized what RAH had done.

And the ending took place on what has to be the ultimate SF convention ever. (I've spent many years helping to plan and run such things, so it resonated. In fact, I met RAH at one in the 70s.)

I don't consider TNotB RAH's best work, and it's not one I tend to reread, but it was certainly fun.
______
Dennis
Post by Mycall4me   » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:23 am

Mycall4me
Commander

Lets see if this will pull this topic forward
Post by Michae   » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:15 pm

Michae
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Keith_w wrote:
Linkmeister wrote:I thought I knew my Heinlein, but I'm puzzled as to which story he wrote that RFC refers to in the preamble to this wonderful preposterous ending. If this has been answered in the previous 15 pages, I apologize.

The cat who walked through walls. RAH merged many of his story's characters into one novel, where they revolted against author-ity.

I should mention that I havent read it for years, so my recallection of the core of the story may be in error.

And yes, I know that the actual story is about rescuing Mike Holmes, self-aware computer from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Is the cat that walked through walls a good read?I liked The Moon is a Harsh Mistress a lot,instead of Heinlein's decision to write off Mike at the end of the book,as I didn't think that made too much sense. Repairable damage in my opinion,should not do that. Plus I used Mike and Man's interactions,and was sorry to see Mike go like that.

Return to Safehold