Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

How the Safehold series WON'T end

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: How the Safehold series WON'T end
Post by pokermind   » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:35 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:So David, what's your username on the fanfiction.net website? :lol:
I post my work as TheBeardedOne ;)

Since it's not rally Fan Fic if the author does it it's more a practical joke like Nimitz the treecat's so you might call him Stinker for this or, since it was so good, Laughs Brightly ;)

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by SWM   » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:39 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

For an even more dramatic example of this kind of authorial fun and games, Larry Niven once wrote an outline (just for fun) for a story in which every single important feature of his Known Space turned out to be a lie. The outline was a joke, of course--he never intended to actually write a story like that. But it was completely self-consistent, and could have provided a background for Known Space almost as believable (though even more twisted) as what was actually published. You can find the outline on his website at http://www.larryniven.net/stories/downinflames.shtml.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by KNick   » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:42 pm

KNick
Admiral

Kyladar wrote:Yet another lurker stepping forward here.

I've been a fan of RFC's work for quite some time now. My favorites would have to be the Honorverse and the Safehold series. Reading this I couldn't stop laughing for some time, and I have to read it over and over. Keep up the great work RFC!

PS: A few more snippets would be appreciated [winkwinknudgenudge]

Welcome to the active part of the forums. I hope you continue to enjoy yourself.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by kbus888   » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:32 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, kyladar :D

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by eldrwyrm   » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:34 pm

eldrwyrm
Lieutenant Commander

SWM wrote:For an even more dramatic example of this kind of authorial fun and games, Larry Niven once wrote an outline (just for fun) for a story in which every single important feature of his Known Space turned out to be a lie. The outline was a joke, of course--he never intended to actually write a story like that. But it was completely self-consistent, and could have provided a background for Known Space almost as believable (though even more twisted) as what was actually published. You can find the outline on his website at http://www.larryniven.net/stories/downinflames.shtml.

Along the same lines, John Ringo has threatened to end his Paladin of Shadows series by having Mike found dead in the wheel-well of a plane by some Syrian groundcrew.
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

OK, I've been lurkin too long and now I have to get my feet wet here. How long ago did I read "On Basilisk Station"? I have Baen Bundles dating back to 1999 - in other words, an old fart but new here.

So what brought me out from under cloaking? In the 11 pages of response no mentioned this; [Oops-Jonathan_S 'got it' on page 2 - my bad!]

We buried the twelve colonies so deep and with enough of a tech starting point the Gbaba will never find them in time.” His smile was fleeting but harder than battle steel. “Even the Gbaba may figure out they need to look for them this time, but it would take them fifty years to reach the closest one in direct flight, without any delay to scout at all. They'll never find Kobol and the others before the colonial warriors are ready for them!

Either I am blind or I smell "Battlestar Galactica"! So RFC, you couldn't tie in "Babylon 5" as well?

Very glad someone else commented this to the top so that I could read it. The AUTHOR as "deus ex machina!"
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

eldrwyrm wrote:In the last 2 weeks I've just finished reading Door Into Summer and Variable Star. I was half expecting Bogey Three to be a fleet sent by Irys from 50 years in the future to save her husband's life. Either that or a fleet from the "reserve colony" that even Langhorne knew nothing about.

If you can resist and haven't already read, save "Time Enough for Love" for a cold winter week with plenty of time and cocoa or coffee.
;)
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by KNick   » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:03 pm

KNick
Admiral

Charybdis wrote:If you can resist and haven't already read, save "Time Enough for Love" for a cold winter week with plenty of time and cocoa or coffee.
;)

A bottle of a nice dry white wine works well too. Welcome to the active portion of the forums. Lurkers are OK but mostly we would like to hear your opinions. I hope you have some fun here.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by dwileye13   » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:52 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

Mr. Weber,
Sincere thanks and appreciation for this. Some story in some dimension ends this way.
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by Charybdis   » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Just some further rumination on the names used here and what clues they may give to RFC's thoughts. First, with the mention of Admiral Nimue Howsmyn's G'Grandfather Howsmyn as being the generation of the current books fighting the CoG, we have a separation of 3 generations in her ancestry. So how many people are between Cayleb I and Hektor II, and which one was Hektor I? We already have, barring obvious disaster, Cayleb & Sharleyan's heir Alahnah, as the next Empress, so where would Hector I come in? Methinks, twirling my Merlin-like mustache, that there is a boy child from Irys & Hektor's marriage to be obviously named Hektor for his father, grandfather and uncle. If a royal match between him and Alahnah came forth, their child would logically be Hektor I and this Hektor II would be his son, thus 3 generations. This 'might' be a clue as to the fatality of fatal wounds in snippets handed out by nefarious authors.

Next, perhaps we should look at “Senior Fleet Admiral Ninhursag MacIntyre of the Fifth Imperium's 3rd Fleet." Logically, she is a lineal descendant of His Imperial Highness Sean Horus MacIntyre and his wife Crown Princess Consort Sandra MacMahan MacIntyre and bearing Sandy's mother's name of Ninhursag MacMahan. That indicates at least one generation and yet another encounter with the Achuultani of a violent type.

Stay healthy RFC, I want to read these books!

:geek:
-----

What say you, my peers?

Return to Safehold