Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests

Holy Aluminum‽

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Holy Aluminum‽
Post by Louis R   » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:42 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

My point exactly. That's what the people the system was most likely aimed at would do, and only they would have that capability so any attempt would automatically be hostile. No uncertainty about the correct response to that. But would the designers have bothered to tell the system to blow up any object that came bumbling in to the engagement zone but didn't present an imminent threat of collision, when there was no evidence of hidden Federation tech involved?

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Keith_w wrote:As I recall, OWL tried throwing rocks at it, without success. Therefore it is highly unlikely that a V2 type rocket would have any success.

It is my recollection that OWL tried to get a stealthed probe in close without success.
Re: Holy Aluminum‽
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:53 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Louis R wrote:My point exactly. That's what the people the system was most likely aimed at would do, and only they would have that capability so any attempt would automatically be hostile. No uncertainty about the correct response to that. But would the designers have bothered to tell the system to blow up any object that came bumbling in to the engagement zone but didn't present an imminent threat of collision, when there was no evidence of hidden Federation tech involved?

quote="Robert_A_Woodward" quote="Keith_w"
As I recall, OWL tried throwing rocks at it, without success. Therefore it is highly unlikely that a V2 type rocket would have any success. /quote

It is my recollection that OWL tried to get a stealthed probe in close without success. /quote

Why would they say "if there's no Federation Tech involved, don't take action", when it is so much easier to just say "if it comes close, destroy it"?
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold