Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests

The Question

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
The Question
Post by Salisria   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:19 am

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

I'm trying to remember if The Question (I.e. the use of torture while interrogating a prisoner.) is ever explicitly sanctioned by the Book of Schueler the way The Punishment clearly is or if it's merely a tradition developed by the Inquisition.

Clearly Chihiro would have had no moral objections to the use of torture, but I'd like to think he'd be smart enough to realize torture can be problematic if one is seeking the truth rather than a predetermined answer.
Re: The Question
Post by Louis R   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:36 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I think it would actually be the book of Jwo Jeng that covers Inquisition procedure, since it was supposed to be the province of his order. The Schuelerites managed to 'absorb' the Order of Jwo Jeng several centuries ago, according to Himself, although exactly how isn't known [at least not to us]. IOW, the Order of Schueler was never intended to be judge, jury & executioner, nor to wield the power in the Church it does - I'm not sure if that role was originally supposed to belong to the Order of Langhorne, of if none of the orders was intended to hold primacy.

As to whether torture was explicitly included... my guess is that it was. However, like much of the rest of the Writ, we simply don't know what is said.

Salisria wrote:I'm trying to remember if The Question (I.e. the use of torture while interrogating a prisoner.) is ever explicitly sanctioned by the Book of Schueler the way The Punishment clearly is or if it's merely a tradition developed by the Inquisition.

Clearly Chihiro would have had no moral objections to the use of torture, but I'd like to think he'd be smart enough to realize torture can be problematic if one is seeking the truth rather than a predetermined answer.

Return to Safehold