Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

MLB Heresy

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
MLB Heresy
Post by Salisria   » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 am

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

If I'm not mistaken, MLB has committed heresy today by banning defensive shifts.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/345 ... ive-shifts

Unless I'm misremembering, there was a defensive shift mentioned in the game Intendant Wylsyn attended with the bishop-executorin Off Armageddon Reef.
Re: MLB Heresy
Post by Salisria   » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:02 am

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

Also, though I don't recall any textual support either for or against my presumption beyond the fact that we have seen pitchers at bat, which indicates that at least it isn't the default rule, I'd like to presume that the Blessed Langhorne anathematized the use of the designated hitter. Indeed, it may even be mentioned in the Book of Chihiro as an attempted innovation for the sake of efficiency that the accursed Shan-Wei proposed, assuming Chihiro cared about baseball to the extent Langhorne did.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:20 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Salisria wrote:If I'm not mistaken, MLB has committed heresy today by banning defensive shifts.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/345 ... ive-shifts

Unless I'm misremembering, there was a defensive shift mentioned in the game Intendant Wylsyn attended with the bishop-executorin Off Armageddon Reef.

Defensive shifts were not banned, they were limited. Thus, no infielders positioned on outfield grass. Also, the 2nd baseman can't be left (from the catchers point of view) of 2nd base, nor the shortstop right of 2nd base. You can still have the 2nd baseman 1 step to the right of 2nd base or the shortstop 1 step to the left of 2nd base.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:22 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Salisria wrote:Also, though I don't recall any textual support either for or against my presumption beyond the fact that we have seen pitchers at bat, which indicates that at least it isn't the default rule, I'd like to presume that the Blessed Langhorne anathematized the use of the designated hitter. Indeed, it may even be mentioned in the Book of Chihiro as an attempted innovation for the sake of efficiency that the accursed Shan-Wei proposed, assuming Chihiro cared about baseball to the extent Langhorne did.

It appears that Longhorne had the same position towards baseball rules as Austin Grayson in the Honorverse. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the pitcher's mound was the pre-1968 height as well (for both).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by zyffyr   » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:43 am

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Clearly both Langhorne and Grayson are followers of Orthodox Baseball, and don't care for the crazies of the Reform movement.
Post by Salisria   » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:28 am

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:It appears that Longhorne had the same position towards baseball rules as Austin Grayson in the Honorverse. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the pitcher's mound was the pre-1968 height as well (for both).

If you're going to go old school with the pitcher's mound, bring back the pre-1950 rules that specified only a maximum height of 15", not a uniform height of 15" (or the current 10"). Having the groundskeepers adjust the mound from day to day to suit the preference of the home team's starter and/or be disliked by the visiting team's pitching staff was a part of the game that was largely lost in 1950.

Return to Safehold