Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Whitehead torpedo

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Whitehead torpedo
Post by Salisria   » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:42 pm

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

It has occurred to me that something like the Whitehead torpedo, which used a compressed air reciprocating engine for propulsion, could be constructed without violating the proscriptions.

Now like the sea bombs, it's a weapon system that would both be easier for Charis to develop and more advantageous for potential enemies. So I think it's a good candidate for a piece of military technology to be introduced in the next novel, most likely by Siddarmark.
Re: Whitehead torpedo
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:45 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Salisria wrote:It has occurred to me that something like the Whitehead torpedo, which used a compressed air reciprocating engine for propulsion, could be constructed without violating the proscriptions.

Now like the sea bombs, it's a weapon system that would both be easier for Charis to develop and more advantageous for potential enemies. So I think it's a good candidate for a piece of military technology to be introduced in the next novel, most likely by Siddarmark.

I would think you could also make a torpedo based on hydrogen peroxide and propane in something akin to a diesel engine except backwards. (Propane is admitted by the valve, then hydrogen peroxide is injected.) The energy content is low but since they don't have seekers the maximum range is short anyway.
Post by Salisria   » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:18 pm

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

I don't see a hydrogen peroxide-propane propulsion system as a likely development for four reasons.

First, sufficiently pure hydrogen peroxide for propulsion uses in quantity at an economic price was a mid-20th century development, so it probably won't be available by the time of the next war.

Second, even if be available, it likely would be available only to Charis and Charis is unlikely to deploy torpedoes first.

Third, compressed-air propulsion systems will be safer than anything involving any sort of combustion.

Fourth, a conventional kerosene combustion system (in either heater or wet-heater configuration) will be both sufficiently better in performance than compressed air for any story purposes and not require as much technological exposition to be written as peroxide would require.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:10 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Salisria wrote:I don't see a hydrogen peroxide-propane propulsion system as a likely development for four reasons.

First, sufficiently pure hydrogen peroxide for propulsion uses in quantity at an economic price was a mid-20th century development, so it probably won't be available by the time of the next war.

Second, even if be available, it likely would be available only to Charis and Charis is unlikely to deploy torpedoes first.

Third, compressed-air propulsion systems will be safer than anything involving any sort of combustion.

Fourth, a conventional kerosene combustion system (in either heater or wet-heater configuration) will be both sufficiently better in performance than compressed air for any story purposes and not require as much technological exposition to be written as peroxide would require.

Good point about safety, H2O2 that's pure enough to be a useful oxidizer is probably beyond their ability to handle safely. A kerosene burner needs air, though--problematic in a torpedo.

And whether or not they deploy it first I'm sure the inner circle is going to design whatever they can that doesn't provoke a strike from the sky.
Post by Salisria   » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:28 am

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

Loren Pechtel wrote:A kerosene burner needs air, though--problematic in a torpedo.

And whether or not they deploy it first I'm sure the inner circle is going to design whatever they can that doesn't provoke a strike from the sky.

Kerosene burning torpedoes were the standard used by all sides in both World Wars, and we already have white oil (aka kerosene) mentioned as being in production on Safehold. The major development between the wars was the development of torpedoes by Britain and Japan that used something other than mere compressed air as the oxidizer for the kerosene.
(Britain used oxygen-enriched air in its Mark VII torpedoes while Japan managed the trickier use of pure oxygen in its Long Lance series of torpedoes. Reducing and/or eliminating the nitrogen found in air increases both range and stealthiness for torpedoes but makes torpedoes more dangerous to carry.)
Post by phillies   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:00 pm

phillies
Admiral

Pure oxygen in a torpedo required meticulous attention to cleanliness, freedom from machine oil in parts,...and 'meticulous' was something that Japanese machinists excelled at.

Salisria wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:A kerosene burner needs air, though--problematic in a torpedo.

Kerosene burning torpedoes were the standard used by all sides in both World Wars, and we already have white oil (aka kerosene) mentioned as being in production on Safehold. The major development between the wars was the development of torpedoes by Britain and Japan that used something other than mere compressed air as the oxidizer for the kerosene.
(Britain used oxygen-enriched air in its Mark VII torpedoes while Japan managed the trickier use of pure oxygen in its Long Lance series of torpedoes. Reducing and/or eliminating the nitrogen found in air increases both range and stealthiness for torpedoes but makes torpedoes more dangerous to carry.)

Return to Safehold