Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Duke Eastshare

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Duke Eastshare
Post by Salisria   » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:21 pm

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

What makes his fate even more tragic in my opinion is that I see no compelling reason to bring him into the Inner Circle at the beginning of Through Fiery Trials. Charis wasn't involved in fighting then, so he couldn't have gained any benefit from access to either the SNARCs or OWL.

It's almost as if Himself wanted to show an example of a complete rejection of the truth and picked a character he didn't need anymore to be the example. But as I said, other than to provide that example, I just don't see any advantage to be gained that justifies the risk that was taken.
Re: Duke Eastshare
Post by fossten   » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:26 pm

fossten
Ensign

This is what happens when David Weber doesn't write a Safehold book for three years. People start picking apart his work. Can't blame you - lots of frustrated readers out there feeling like they've been Robert Jordaned.
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:32 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

You are right, they didn't need to. Sharleyann really hated not being able to explain everything and persuaded the others to go along.

As they had the stasis option now Merlin and Nimue were more willing to take the risk.

so it was an emotional decision, that was allowed to happen as they were able to mintage it if it went badly.

to be fair you may be right but it has been commented more then one by readers AND the inner circle that they had no right to expect it to pay off as often as it did. Should this scene and its failure have taken place 3 books earlier with someone else? perhaps, but it didn't [shrug].
Post by Salisria   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:48 am

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

Dauntless wrote:Should this scene and its failure have taken place 3 books earlier with someone else? perhaps, but it didn't [shrug].

To be fair, the concept of not going well (though not this disastrously) was explored earlier with Sendaria, and a complete failure example was a reasonable thing to explore. It's just that it seemed to me that the setup for why to tell him at that time was lacking.

Now once the ICA started mucking around in North Harchong, it would have given additional reason to take the risk incurred by telling Eastshare. But the only reason at the time he was told appears to be the Empress's reluctance to keep that secret from people she deals with professionally and it was the Emperor, not she who was pushing for telling him.
Post by jgnfld   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:59 am

jgnfld
Captain of the List

Salisria wrote:What makes his fate even more tragic in my opinion is that I see no compelling reason to bring him into the Inner Circle at the beginning of Through Fiery Trials...

Yeah...It always seemed more than a bit gratuitous to me as well.

Return to Safehold