Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

I miss safehold

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
I miss safehold
Post by ryndieum   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:07 am

ryndieum
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Not complaining or trying to be a jerk, I just miss the story. I looked forward to the next book, the teaser series, and the debate here about some obscure aspect of naval history. I really hope that when the story picks back up, some of that energy comes back too.
Re: I miss safehold
Post by Jeslis   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:49 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Amen. I really want this story to not just 'fade' into no resolution oblivion.
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:46 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Preach it, brother!!!!
Post by Safeholdhelp   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:35 am

Safeholdhelp
Midshipman

Hi,
I also miss the continuation of this fantastic story. It is so well written and detailed. We put ourselves into the story so that it became a very personal Journey. I hope that David Weber can organize to write the sequels that see freedom for the people of Safehold, their development of a space force, and return to space where they will rid the Universe of the alien species who killed all of humanity and their works.
Post by ghost   » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:31 pm

ghost
Ensign

ryndieum wrote:Not complaining or trying to be a jerk, I just miss the story. I looked forward to the next book, the teaser series, and the debate here about some obscure aspect of naval history. I really hope that when the story picks back up, some of that energy comes back too.

Not for nothing but the author picked a horrible time to stop writing Safehold books. We were teased about the announcement from the Ghost of Schuler and no new story. The worst part of it is that there is no information as to David's writing schedule. I don't think an author owes any reader any particular story but I do believe an author owes his(her) fans information as to what is being written. The upcoming release last entry in this site is for a book that came out last June. This is not timely information
Post by Crancy   » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:40 am

Crancy
Midshipman

I too am upset that no information has been forthcoming. Sadly, my main take away after the slow development of this series is that i won't start any other new books or unfinished series by this author.
I do hope that his health is good. We all might want to add a little prayer or wish for him. Seems like he has taken on quite a bit.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:26 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Crancy wrote:I too am upset that no information has been forthcoming. Sadly, my main take away after the slow development of this series is that i won't start any other new books or unfinished series by this author.
I do hope that his health is good. We all might want to add a little prayer or wish for him. Seems like he has taken on quite a bit.

I don't know what you have read already, but the thing is, unless you have already done lots of the unfinished series, you are going to miss out on some really good stories and worlds by not starting them or not catching up on the bits you still have to do. Readers never know whether any current series by any author is going to get finished or not. So if you apply your policy more widely, you aren't going to be reading much that's recently published.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:30 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Not just recently published - SF&F is littered with unfinished series [I've been waiting 40 years for the end of Sterling Lanier's Hiero stories; he died in 2007...]

As for lack of info on upcoming works: Himself has learned the hard way not to make promises he can't always keep. And people have this weird habit of reading 'this is what I'm planning' and 'I expect...' as 'I promise that...'. And then carrying on about what they are 'owed'

Randomiser wrote:
Crancy wrote:I too am upset that no information has been forthcoming. Sadly, my main take away after the slow development of this series is that i won't start any other new books or unfinished series by this author.

I don't know what you have read already, but the thing is, unless you have already done lots of the unfinished series, you are going to miss out on some really good stories and worlds by not starting them or not catching up on the bits you still have to do. Readers never know whether any current series by any author is going to get finished or not. So if you apply your policy more widely, you aren't going to be reading much that's recently published.
Post by Jeslis   » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:16 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Just adding that I miss it as well; my bookmark for these forums is literally a search on Weber's last posts:

search.php?author_id=88&sr=posts

He hasn't posted since Aug 7, 2020. Obviously life has happened... but I don't hold much hope for this series to be finished. Other commitments seem to have been made that are taking up more of his time.
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:11 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

ghost wrote:Not for nothing but the author picked a horrible time to stop writing Safehold books. We were teased about the announcement from the Ghost of Schuler and no new story. The worst part of it is that there is no information as to David's writing schedule. I don't think an author owes any reader any particular story but I do believe an author owes his(her) fans information as to what is being written. The upcoming release last entry in this site is for a book that came out last June. This is not timely information

I hear you, Ghost, but there are some things to consider that it seems to me you haven't quite adequately figured into your post. Now I am sure you know these things. It's just as I said - let's really figure them in:

DW is and always has been an unbelievably prolific writer. The amount of books he is putting out (all of them very long) is unreal. He also has explained to us in the past that he likes writing so much that he can't help himself. He just has to write.
But he also has a family to care for and isn't getting any younger.
Now I remember a post of his from some time ago about how his writing schedule actually led to health problems from overworking. Serious ones. (He didn't use these words and this is my interpretation of what he posted so don't hold him responsible for it please.) Anyway what it comes down to is that I am actually glad if he slows down somewhat. (I am not even sure he is slowing down since he is still publishing new books and its not like I'm keeping a score count or anything. But I hope he is taking it a bit slower.)
Like you we would all love to read another Safehold book. But not at the cost of his health.
There is nothing wrong with wishing for a new book. But what I am getting at is I think you would do yourself a favor by toning it down somewhat and not use expressions like 'horrible' or 'stop writing' and 'worst part of it'. Those are over the top in my opinion. And I wouldn't want you to look back at what you posted in the forum later on and feel embarrassed.
On a lighter note: There is no indication DW has stopped writing Safehold. And he always has given us updates about his working schedule. No indication that will stop either. Maybe things slowed down somewhat (I really hope they did at any rate.) But you don't need to lose hope.

Return to Safehold