Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

I miss safehold

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: I miss safehold
Post by Louis R   » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:38 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

From what he said, at one point his wife and his doctor were both sitting on him. I think that counts as "serious"

More to the point, Baen [and Tor, I think] is now treating him like a normal author - that is, his books are not being scheduled for publication until he turns them in. Which lifts the insane pressure to _get_it_written_ before the drop-dead date. Apparently, he very nearly did.

Drop dead, that is.

The fact that there will be time for the full production process to unroll has an additional benefit. Editing. There have been more than a few complaints that Himself thinks he's too important to be edited. Most of them seem to come from people who are convinced that no book should contain words they don't want to be bothered reading [and find Dick & Jane linguistically challenging, to boot], but the fact remains that editing had become an issue. Himself has said as much, in fact - IIRC, he thinks War of Honor should be 30k words shorter, although I have to say it's not at all obvious which 30k - but because he wasn't able to meet the turn-in dates for those books there simply wasn't time for proper edits before they had to be out the door on the way to the bookstores.

And so, since between slower writing and longer lead times he doesn't really know himself when things will be out, he is, wisely IMV, keeping silence.

Bruno Behrends wrote: < snip >

Now I remember a post of his from some time ago about how his writing schedule actually led to health problems from overworking. Serious ones. (He didn't use these words and this is my interpretation of what he posted so don't hold him responsible for it please.) Anyway what it comes down to is that I am actually glad if he slows down somewhat. (I am not even sure he is slowing down since he is still publishing new books and its not like I'm keeping a score count or anything. But I hope he is taking it a bit slower.)
Post by ghost   » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:43 pm

ghost
Ensign

Sorry for not replying sooner but I'm not always on this site. I'm not sure you interpreted what I said correctly so I'll try to clarify. My objection to events is not so much with David's writing speed. Defecation occurs, I get it and he has health issues. He was a prolific author but not so much today but again, the reason is perfectly understandable.

What my main complaint is about, is lack of information. You have a drop down menu listing upcoming releases and the only information is from a book in 2021. Why can't this information be current. If his next book is "Joe the Barbarian sacks New Orleans", I'm fine with that being in upcoming releases with a release date of sometime in 2022. At least this why I can have a clue what the next book will be. You may have an advantage on me because I'm older than David and would love to see what happens in Safehold before I kick the bucket.

Bruno Behrends wrote:
ghost wrote:Not for nothing but the author picked a horrible time to stop writing Safehold books. We were teased about the announcement from the Ghost of Schuler and no new story. The worst part of it is that there is no information as to David's writing schedule. I don't think an author owes any reader any particular story but I do believe an author owes his(her) fans information as to what is being written. The upcoming release last entry in this site is for a book that came out last June. This is not timely information

I hear you, Ghost, but there are some things to consider that it seems to me you haven't quite adequately figured into your post. Now I am sure you know these things. It's just as I said - let's really figure them in:

DW is and always has been an unbelievably prolific writer. The amount of books he is putting out (all of them very long) is unreal. He also has explained to us in the past that he likes writing so much that he can't help himself. He just has to write.
But he also has a family to care for and isn't getting any younger.
Now I remember a post of his from some time ago about how his writing schedule actually led to health problems from overworking. Serious ones. (He didn't use these words and this is my interpretation of what he posted so don't hold him responsible for it please.) Anyway what it comes down to is that I am actually glad if he slows down somewhat. (I am not even sure he is slowing down since he is still publishing new books and its not like I'm keeping a score count or anything. But I hope he is taking it a bit slower.)
Like you we would all love to read another Safehold book. But not at the cost of his health.
There is nothing wrong with wishing for a new book. But what I am getting at is I think you would do yourself a favor by toning it down somewhat and not use expressions like 'horrible' or 'stop writing' and 'worst part of it'. Those are over the top in my opinion. And I wouldn't want you to look back at what you posted in the forum later on and feel embarrassed.
On a lighter note: There is no indication DW has stopped writing Safehold. And he always has given us updates about his working schedule. No indication that will stop either. Maybe things slowed down somewhat (I really hope they did at any rate.) But you don't need to lose hope.
Post by Charybdis   » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:55 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

ghost wrote:Sorry for not replying sooner but I'm not always on this site. I'm not sure you interpreted what I said correctly so I'll try to clarify. My objection to events is not so much with David's writing speed. Defecation occurs, I get it and he has health issues. He was a prolific author but not so much today but again, the reason is perfectly understandable.

What my main complaint is about, is lack of information. You have a drop down menu listing upcoming releases and the only information is from a book in 2021. Why can't this information be current. If his next book is "Joe the Barbarian sacks New Orleans", I'm fine with that being in upcoming releases with a release date of sometime in 2022. At least this why I can have a clue what the next book will be. You may have an advantage on me because I'm older than David and would love to see what happens in Safehold before I kick the bucket.

My sympathies (genuine) and with much agreement BUT it is writing and this is LIFE! So many of my favorite authors have already RUDELY departed that, in a small sense, I am anticipating getting my library card to Heaven's Library! Just for those series left unfinished that are sure to be made available there (smile)!

Of course, there is that nagging corollary concerning the opposite place. There those tomes are in that infinite card catalog but are forever devilishly unreadable. Always checked-out, so badly mis-printed as to be unreadable, all blank pages etc. Just imagine the torment of seeing the book but it disappears just as your hand grasps it! That would indeed be hell!

So here is a challenge to all of my fellow Safehold sufferers, what author&series books would you look for in such a place? In other words ... What are YOU dying to read?
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:05 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Charybdis wrote:
So here is a challenge to all of my fellow Safehold sufferers, what author&series books would you look for in such a place? In other words ... What are YOU dying to read?

I am looking forward to the next Safehold book, the next Multiverse book of David's, but beyond that I am also looking forward to Patrick Rothfus's next book which has been hugely delayed, GRRM's even more hugely delayed completion of the end of a tale of ice and fire, L E Modessit Jr's sequel to Isolate, and of course, anything John Scalzi writes. It always upsets me that these, and all other authors cannot write as fast as I read.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:48 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Keith_w wrote:
Charybdis wrote:

I am looking forward to the next Safehold book, the next Multiverse book of David's, but beyond that I am also looking forward to Patrick Rothfus's next book which has been hugely delayed, GRRM's even more hugely delayed completion of the end of a tale of ice and fire, L E Modessit Jr's sequel to Isolate, and of course, anything John Scalzi writes. It always upsets me that these, and all other authors cannot write as fast as I read.

well - I won't say 'dying to read'. But I'd really, really love to see the next few War God books by himself
Post by sonex   » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:27 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

ghost wrote: At least this why I can have a clue what the next book will be. You may have an advantage on me because I'm older than David and would love to see what happens in Safehold before I kick the bucket.

I read "Off Armageddon Reef", a Science Fiction Book Club pick shortly after it was offered. That was about 13 years ago, when I was around 72. Eagerly bought each new book in the series. By now, I do not read hard copy books, but use my Kindle 10" with enlarged text. My health is improving in the negative direction. So I know how you feel. I will try to hang on.
I also finally got into the Honor verse camp, so I have two reasons to hang on.
Please hang with me! :mrgreen:
B.D.Harrington
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Post by Michae   » Wed May 04, 2022 9:58 am

Michae
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I used to like John Ringo's books until he stopped writing a few series that I was in the middle of,with no date for any future releases of the said series.

Return to Safehold