Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

Why Schueller?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Why Schueller?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:09 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

lightningstar519 wrote:
jtg452 wrote:Shueler is the personification of the Inquisition and the enforcement arm of the Church.

What's the psychological impact of him appearing when he did and saying what he said going to be on the truly devout of the Church?

He-the semi-divine archangel and defender of orthodoxy- didn't choose to appear during the war with Charis- even though it was a war to prevent what the Church had declared a heretical schism from rising.

So why now?

Nahrman and Owl's little light show is going to have a tremendous impact globally.

Narhman isn't playing games. This is the opening gambit of the next phase in the war against the Church dominance of Safehold. They've fought with guns and swords,now they are after hearts and minds.

Can anyone give me any proof apart from RFC's half-joking comment that the Schueler hologram was Nahrmann? I'm really, really hoping that the Schueler hologram is not a propaganda fake by Charis. That sort of lie is unworthy of them and frankly out-of-character. It seems like a very Bedard-like move, if you ask me.

Way back in _Off Armageddon Reef_, Merlin resolved to not lie, nor stage a "miracle". The Schueler hologram would be such a miracle. I hope that Operation Androcles is based on the message in the Stone and perhaps the diary of Seijin Kohdy (I wonder if the original testimonies in the Temple archives still mention him?).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by n7axw   » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:38 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Merlin, from Safehold's point of view, performs a miracle every time he takes off with his shuttle to get to his next stop. As for lying, perhaps not. But he is certainly capable of misdirection.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:11 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:Merlin, from Safehold's point of view, performs a miracle every time he takes off with his shuttle to get to his next stop. As for lying, perhaps not. But he is certainly capable of misdirection.

Don

-

But that is a hidden miracle. Merlin (or Nimue) leaves point A and shortly thereafter somebody else arrives at point B. Merlin abjured public miracles.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Salisria   » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

I think one thing that has been missed in this thread is that the Order of Schuller is at this point the part of the Temple Church most likely to be receptive to a revelation such as this. This revelation is something that cannot be associated with the Church of Charis or any other schismatic church, tho this may lead to another schism.
Post by ywing14   » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:25 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kino wrote:The last chapter of the latest book shows us Schueller making an appearance near the temple. I gather that we have Writ from the Archangel Weber (or YouTube interviews anyway) that "Schueller" was actually Nahrman and Owl playing games with holographic projectors. I might have missed this, but do we know why they picked Schueller particularly?

I can see you might pick him. As the patron of the Inquisition, it's plausible that Langhorne would send him to pass on a serious message about doctrinal problems. Also we've got at least one source (the Wylsynn's stone) that says something about him returning in a thousand years, so if someone else has another copy of that stuffed down the back of the sofa (suppressed in the Church archives somewhere?) you're playing into that.

On the other hand, we've already got two ancient conspiracies (the Wylsynns and Seijin Kohdy's people) associated with the man, and our heroes missed the existence of Nynian's people despite being in direct personal contact with her. That would make me worry that there's other stuff about the man lying around that might come back to bite. Given that there seems to be more mystery around what Schueller was really up to than any of the other archangels, why not pick someone we have fewer questions about? I can see why you don't want to use Langhorne to deliver the message, because his biggest and shiniest church is the Temple, and our heroes don't want to mess around in there. But why not almost anybody else? Bedard, for example.

Any thoughts?

As far as Schuyler getting picked I think options were limited. He was one of the new archangels left after the nuke was detonated on the command ship.

Return to Safehold