Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Who’s the other guy?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Who’s the other guy?
Post by ywing14   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:39 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

In Off Armageddon Reef Pei Kai-yung says only he and one other person new of Merlin’s existence. Who’s the other guy?
Re: Who’s the other guy?
Post by ZVar   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:05 am

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

ywing14 wrote:In Off Armageddon Reef Pei Kai-yung says only he and one other person new of Merlin’s existence. Who’s the other guy?

That would be the owner of the PICA, one Nimue Alban.
Post by Isilith   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:45 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

ZVar wrote:
ywing14 wrote:In Off Armageddon Reef Pei Kai-yung says only he and one other person new of Merlin’s existence. Who’s the other guy?

That would be the owner of the PICA, one Nimue Alban.

Uhh, no. That would be saying Merlin knew of Merlin's existence, which would make no sense.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:16 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Since Pei Kai-yung expected that person to be with him at the meeting with Langhorne, it would probably be impossible to determine the name (just another person killed by the nuclear bomb).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by clancy688   » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:26 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

ywing14 wrote:Who’s the other guy?

This part always struck me as a piece of "Chekov's Gun" which would become relevant again in the climax of Merlin's struggle against Langhorne's system. So... we don't know yet. But I bet we will and it will be important.
Post by Dahak   » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:08 pm

Dahak
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I was going to say that that would most likely have been Pei Shan-Wei, given the note left by Jeremiah Knowles, but by the time Pei Kau-yung made his recording she was already dead.

The most likely candidate I'd think of would be Elias Proctor, as far as I know, the only other named male character in on the plot, but I'm not sure why he'd accompany Pei Kau-yung when seeing the Administrator and the Council, especially given what Pei Kau-yung had in mind.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:29 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Was never specified. Since it never got mentioned again, there is a non-insignificant probability, that RFC decided to drop this plot line.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:31 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Dahak wrote:

I was going to say that that would most likely have been Pei Shan-Wei, given the note left by Jeremiah Knowles, but by the time Pei Kau-yung made his recording she was already dead.

The most likely candidate I'd think of would be Elias Proctor, as far as I know, the only other named male character in on the plot, but I'm not sure why he'd accompany Pei Kau-yung when seeing the Administrator and the Council, especially given what Pei Kau-yung had in mind.

It was clearly someone who Kau-yung did NOT trust much. Since he wanted to kill him with the Langhorne. Someone who noticed strange "disappearance" of equipment, and whose silence Kau-yung was forced to buy with some favors?
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by ywing14   » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:09 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I think it was Proctor as well. It's implied the person knew he had a the Nuke so why would they go with him if they were for the plan as well.
Post by Spoz   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:29 pm

Spoz
Ensign

Potentially - Schueler? If he is some sort of double agent or agent provacteur inside Langhornes' group, as may be suggested by the stone and the ending of TFT (even if that particular aparition is a function of Nahrmahn and Owl) then possibly he is actually in on the whole thing - and may help explain the existence of the stone.

Return to Safehold