Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

A question that I'm unsure if has been answered.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
A question that I'm unsure if has been answered.
Post by Njolma   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 pm

Njolma
Ensign

Has David ever given us a size estimate on a picas personality file? If not any chance you would good sir? I have a theory and that info would help massively lol
Re: A question that I'm unsure if has been answered.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:16 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

He hasn't.

And if your theory is the one everybody else has been floating for the last 5 or 6 years, he's not going to say _anything_ that might confirm it < BEG >

Njolma wrote:Has David ever given us a size estimate on a picas personality file? If not any chance you would good sir? I have a theory and that info would help massively lol
Post by Joat42   » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Njolma wrote:Has David ever given us a size estimate on a picas personality file? If not any chance you would good sir? I have a theory and that info would help massively lol

As Louis said, no official word on the size but if we would speculate a personality file must be several hundred terabytes if not petabytes.

And regarding any theory you might have, if it concerns the Key containing a stored personality, that has been discussed. If not, please give a short summary of your theory and we'll tell you if it has been discussed earlier or if you thought of something new. Be prepared for a somewhat lively debate regarding the merits of your theory though ;).

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Njolma   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:04 pm

Njolma
Ensign

My theory is that its an AI made to override a pica body left behind and SUPPOSED to host Langhorne or an angel. As I said google puts human brain at 2.5 petabytes maybe round up to 3 for prosperity and inevitable storage growth with medium change and a 12 petabyte file could hold 4 people. Yeah I've seen that theory. I think he wrote an override or a almost virus to change the game he didn't feel he could change then
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:10 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

And then in the end it turns out the Key contains recordings of Schueler's favorite TV series.

The series couldn't ever be published on Safehold obviously but its so good that Schueler just couldn't stand it disappearing completely.
So he encrypted it and hid it. This way no one can ever watch it but it does technically still exist.
Post by Njolma   » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:10 am

Njolma
Ensign

Bruno Behrends wrote:And then in the end it turns out the Key contains recordings of Schueler's favorite TV series.

The series couldn't ever be published on Safehold obviously but its so good that Schueler just couldn't stand it disappearing completely.
So he encrypted it and hid it. This way no one can ever watch it but it does technically still exist.

Id laugh. To bad he stored Gilmore girls such a strange man he was
Post by Magistos   » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 pm

Magistos
Ensign

Njolma wrote:
Bruno Behrends wrote:And then in the end it turns out the Key contains recordings of Schueler's favorite TV series.

Id laugh. To bad he stored Gilmore girls such a strange man he was

Imagine the confusion if it was WandaVision.
Is Merlin OG Vision, Westview Vision or White Vision?
Post by Njolma   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Njolma
Ensign

So just did a full reread of the series. I get the feeling merlin gonna face a spaceship full of "loyal angels" the sisters journal says that the dawn star "departed in glory" and they changed the name to the church of God awaiting. Isn't that pretty much saying they didn't destroy the ship? I mean come on lol
Post by Njolma   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:31 pm

Njolma
Ensign

By that same note. Why doesn't merlin build a good drone Send it to say asteroid belt or another system planet and make a base then populate it with inner circle members who could openly use tech outside the bombardment systems range. Oh look colony of high tech building steady like and stealthlike get a few destroyers built and I bet that orbital system would have 0 chance
Post by Joat42   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:39 pm

Joat42
Admiral

A couple of points:
  • David has said that the ship is gone and isn't coming back. He also said there are no other pica's on Safehold.

Of course, this leaves a lot of leeway for him to pull virtual rabbits out of his literary hat, but I can't see David ever letting the Dawn Star to reappear because it's bad writing in the vein of the Deus ex Machina-trope.
  • As indicated by David, the command staff suffered from severe PTSD and Langhorne was dead-set on killing off technology. For him to download his personality so he can be resurrected as a pica later doesn't fit with his described personality plus any plans he had was rudely interrupted by a vest-pocket nuke.

The more likely scenario for any stored personality is that it belongs to someone who survived until after the War of the Fallen.
  • The idea to build a drone to go out in the asteroid-belt to gather resources and build a base off-planet isn't new, and I think David nixed it for a couple of reasons but I think one of them was they are lacking some critical resources used by the industrial node in the cave.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Safehold