Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Future of Safehold Books

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Future of Safehold Books
Post by ghost   » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:34 pm

ghost
Ensign

In the honorverse forum, a post by relax related to a David Weber Eric Flint youtube interview. When asked about that interview, Relax said "PS David essentially said, he is done writing solo novels." If this is the case, what does that mean for future safehold novels? Is it time to get Brandon Sanderson warming up in the bullpen?
Re: Future of Safehold Books
Post by Cartref   » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:54 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Very interesting question :o
Post by justdave   » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:28 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Cartref wrote:Very interesting question :o

Actually on the MWW’s YouTube channel he has said the next Safehold is his next solo, followed by the next War God and the GySgt Harrington story

Among the various collaborations
Post by Cartref   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:01 am

Cartref

Thank you
Post by Theemile   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:06 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ghost wrote:In the honorverse forum, a post by relax related to a David Weber Eric Flint youtube interview. When asked about that interview, Relax said "PS David essentially said, he is done writing solo novels." If this is the case, what does that mean for future safehold novels? Is it time to get Brandon Sanderson warming up in the bullpen?

He was also insistent about author's voices changing works. No two writers write a PoV character the same; a specific character will always come out different when written by a second writer. He and Flint pointed to the changes in works by Clancey and Cussler when they handed off their stories to others - the story telling and the nature of the characters just wasn't the same because the same characters were just written... differently.

So, his goal is to onboard collaborators when possible (especially for new stories) and for existing story lines, drive the stories up to natural deflection points where new PoV characters can take the lead, allowing the Collaborator's voice to be that of the new PoV character. This allows the transition without feeling that the main character suddenly went from Seductive Bad A$$, to Mousey School Marm when the voice changes.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Cartref   » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm

Cartref

I actually collected the Tom Clancy books and while I enjoyed the new series, there is certainly a different feel to the characters with the new author. Not necessarily but just different from what you were used to and what you were expecting
Post by ecortez   » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:43 pm

ecortez

So far all the Safehold books have been solos. He hasn't taken on any collaborators. Does that mean we can expect the next Safehold novel to have two names on the cover?

I can't imagine the series without Merlin, how would David hand the character over to someone else without changing him? Have him experience some kind of mishap where his personality becomes corrupted and has to be recovered by Owl? That would explain a few changes. He'd have to struggle with regaining a sense of his own identity, and you could work that into the story.
Post by justdave   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:42 am

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

ecortez wrote:So far all the Safehold books have been solos. He hasn't taken on any collaborators. Does that mean we can expect the next Safehold novel to have two names on the cover?

I can't imagine the series without Merlin, how would David hand the character over to someone else without changing him? Have him experience some kind of mishap where his personality becomes corrupted and has to be recovered by Owl? That would explain a few changes. He'd have to struggle with regaining a sense of his own identity, and you could work that into the story.

in one of his recent videos he listed Safehold, War God and the GnySgt Harrington book as solo projects
Post by Njolma   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:14 pm

Njolma
Ensign

All I ask is if at some point he does give up on safehold can we get a summary of future events for closure? Lol it could be 1 paragraph but just something. I am invested in this series (enough so I personally whined at him about the last book and being epic he answered me not with what I wanted to hear but with fair truth).
Post by Julia Minor   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:07 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

He promised in a YouTube interview that if he didn't think he would be around long enough to write "Merlin and Safehold vs the Gbaba" he'd at least give us a summary of how that would go in the final book.

Return to Safehold