Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Future of Safehold Books

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Future of Safehold Books
Post by Keith_w   » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:08 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Randomiser wrote:Err ... David Weber 68, Harry Turtledove 71, Eric Flint 74, David Drake 75 ...

There seems to be a slight flaw in the succession-planning ideas being discussed, don't you think?

[For completeness, S M Stirling is 'only' 67 and John Ringo is 58, but I can't see the latter doing Safehold]

I bet he would if he could get an alien invasion onto Safehold! :mrgreen:
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:05 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Keith_w wrote:
Randomiser wrote:Err ... David Weber 68, Harry Turtledove 71, Eric Flint 74, David Drake 75 ...

There seems to be a slight flaw in the succession-planning ideas being discussed, don't you think?

[For completeness, S M Stirling is 'only' 67 and John Ringo is 58, but I can't see the latter doing Safehold]

I bet he would if he could get an alien invasion onto Safehold! :mrgreen:

An alien visitation to the Safehold system is one of the failure modes to Langhorne's "Perfect Plan". If they don't wipe out humanity when first contact goes bad, they might end up attracting the attention of the Gbaba.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Henry Brown   » Sun May 02, 2021 1:35 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Daryl wrote:Flint, Ringo, Stirling, Drake, Turtledove all have worked with him at times.

What did Turtledove work with Weber on? I do not remember a book they have co-authored.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Henry Brown wrote:
Daryl wrote:Flint, Ringo, Stirling, Drake, Turtledove all have worked with him at times.

What did Turtledove work with Weber on? I do not remember a book they have co-authored.

Turtledove is listed as the editor for the _Alternate Generals_ which contains a Weber story ("The Captain from Kirkbean")
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Talkregh   » Tue May 18, 2021 12:45 pm

Talkregh
Ensign

The only authors I have read that feel like the appropiate note are Flint, of course, and Olan Thorensen. If you have the opportunity, read Thorensen's Destiny's Crucible series. Its not DW, but for Safehold fans is a guaranteed hit, and a worthwhile read in itself.
Post by Daryl   » Sun May 30, 2021 2:50 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I put up the original list, and have thought of another who knows and is known to RFC. Taylor Anderson of Destroyerman fame. He is an excellent storyteller, with good naval knowledge. Somewhat less experienced than the others, but being younger would have more longevity.

Return to Safehold