Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Sharing of experiences with attached emotions

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Sharing of experiences with attached emotions
Post by Jeslis   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:23 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

So.. re-reading the series semi recently.. in the currently final book they talk about how people could create experiences with all the associated beliefs and emotions attached ... all in a nice little zip file and share it...

and I'm a little weirded out by how this is either never used (between say Shanwei and/or Langhorn // Bedard // Scheuler etc etc etc..)... or never even mentioned beforehand (eg; book 1 in the first 100 years of safehold OR the travel to it... or in later books via flashbacks..)

Because if you could truly share everything there is behind a decision (whether in favor of Shanwei, or Langhorns methods)... then shouldn't 1 of them been convinced by the other?

Or am I totally misunderstanding what is being described by this 'experience sharing' file?

... or is this one of those 'Weber thought of this new thing, and its going to be an amazing plot device in a later book' ... but maybe forgot or didn't quite see how it might impact previous 'cannon/lore' as it were?
Re: Sharing of experiences with attached emotions
Post by Julia Minor   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:54 am

Julia Minor
Commander

My reading of that part is that all that's transferred is the "donor's" memories of the event and the associated emotions. This wouldn't necessarily convince the "recipient" that the donor was right, just that the donor saw those things and felt that way.
Re: Sharing of experiences with attached emotions
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:35 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Julia Minor wrote:My reading of that part is that all that's transferred is the "donor's" memories of the event and the associated emotions. This wouldn't necessarily convince the "recipient" that the donor was right, just that the donor saw those things and felt that way.

True... But even that is never mentioned.. In fact the biggest 'cannon' part that seems to be referenced most is the meeting with Langhorn, Bedard, and Shanwei... where Egypt taking 3000 years to advance was mentioned..

*shrug*.. it just doesn't add up to me that there would be SUCH a huge argument as to effectively NUKE the other party from orbit... when people can share experiences and emotions.

Return to Safehold