Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Cats on Safehold?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Cats on Safehold?
Post by jlrice54   » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:19 am

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Something I have wondered about ever since I first read OAR is whether terrestrial cats not make it to Safehold? I know dogs are there, hamsters made it in Shan-wei's personal baggage, horses, beef cattle, chickens, pigs and there are cat lizards which are obviously a native species but I was curious about domestic Terran cats.

Being very much a cat person vs a dog person, that point jumped out at me.
Re: Cats on Safehold?
Post by bigrunt   » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:11 am

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

Cat lizards are the replacement for cats. From the description it sounds like they are just as aloof and self absorbed as terrestrial cats. The difference is they have 6 legs.

jlrice54 wrote:Something I have wondered about ever since I first read OAR is whether terrestrial cats not make it to Safehold? I know dogs are there, hamsters made it in Shan-wei's personal baggage, horses, beef cattle, chickens, pigs and there are cat lizards which are obviously a native species but I was curious about domestic Terran cats.

Being very much a cat person vs a dog person, that point jumped out at me.
Post by jlrice54   » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:58 pm

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

bigrunt wrote:Cat lizards are the replacement for cats. From the description it sounds like they are just as aloof and self absorbed as terrestrial cats. The difference is they have 6 legs.

That was my take on it too but it surprised me that they apparently didn't bring cats or cat embryos with them.
Post by ZVar   » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:45 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

jlrice54 wrote:
bigrunt wrote:Cat lizards are the replacement for cats. From the description it sounds like they are just as aloof and self absorbed as terrestrial cats. The difference is they have 6 legs.

That was my take on it too but it surprised me that they apparently didn't bring cats or cat embryos with them.

Maybe they did, but it's one of the species that didn't adapt.
Post by Daryl   » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:21 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Speaking as an Australian, it is possible that they considered the ecological impact.
Since our European settlement, domestic cats that have gone feral have caused untold damage to our native wildlife, with many extinctions of birds and small mammals attributed to them.
Post by Erls   » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:32 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Daryl wrote:Speaking as an Australian, it is possible that they considered the ecological impact.
Since our European settlement, domestic cats that have gone feral have caused untold damage to our native wildlife, with many extinctions of birds and small mammals attributed to them.

Which would also meant they inspected everything put on board each ship, and before boarding by anything living fumigated the holy hell out of it to kill off any rats or mice (or other vermin/insects). The animals they brought generally (except for perhaps graze animals) do not pose a substantial risk of destroying ecosystems.
Post by mhicks   » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:22 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Erls wrote:
Daryl wrote:Speaking as an Australian, it is possible that they considered the ecological impact.

Which would also meant they inspected everything put on board each ship, and before boarding by anything living fumigated the holy hell out of it to kill off any rats or mice (or other vermin/insects). The animals they brought generally (except for perhaps graze animals) do not pose a substantial risk of destroying ecosystems.

I love how we are talking about Agriculture and Customs work! It could very well be that part of the terraforming proses that they did showed that Terran animals would endanger the life already establish on the planet.

I always thought that the prosses they did to terraform Safehold was that they took a planet in the Goldie Locks zone and made it like earth, then populated it with animals and plants and as the plants and animals grew on the planet, they mutated into the forms we get. I always thought that the lizard cats were Terran cats that due to the effects of the terraforming process grew an extra set of legs and that many animals did the same. I guess I need to read the first book again.

But i like the idea of fumigating everything before it gets onto or off the transports. That would make smuggling a PICA that much harder to conceal.
-"we need to open the box to fumigate this container...Before we do, do you have any Fruits or Vegetables to declare?" :lol:
Post by Daryl   » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:20 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Predators tend to be the worst ecological vandals.
Humans obviously, but our country has had its share. Cats, foxes, dogs, pigs, rats, cane toads are all big problems. Then yes, grazing animals are also a problem, with feral camels, horses, donkeys, rabbits, hares, and more causing big problems. At one stage a big proportion of our arable land was overrun by prickly pear cactus, which was only beaten by a risky biological agent (cactoblastus grub).
Those in long established northern hemisphere countries can't comprehend just how dangerous introduced species can be.

Erls wrote:

Post by Morden   » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:42 am

Morden
Lieutenant Commander

most of the animals that they brought to safehold were ones necessary for humanity's survival. So unless someone brought cats along as part of their personal allotment it wouldn't happen/

i.e Shanwei's gerbils? or was it hamsters?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:20 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Morden wrote:most of the animals that they brought to safehold were ones necessary for humanity's survival. So unless someone brought cats along as part of their personal allotment it wouldn't happen/

i.e Shanwei's gerbils? or was it hamsters?

Hamsters, see _Midst Toil and Tribulation_ (chapter XI of the May 896 YoG section).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)

Return to Safehold