Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Update on next Safehold book

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Update on next Safehold book
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:15 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Erls wrote:The newest Honorverse book E-Arc was just released a couple of months ago (A Call To Insurrection). He's still writing, and going through his list.

Based upon what I've read elsewhere, he is probably in the early stages of working on Safehold. Meaning the manuscript might be done in draft form this year, with a release in summer of 2023. WAG, I know. But that would be my prediction.

I haven't any information on what he is actually doing, but the easiest thing to get out next would seem to be the Honor Harrington Anthology. He only has to write a short for it and then see it through the works. It's the kind of thing where someone else could easily do the admin. It would be nice to have and would round out the Canon.

Given the other projects and his understandable slow down in rate of production, it now looks, to me at least, like we will never get to a satisfactory end of the Safehold story. It would take 3 or 4 more books at least, I guess, and don't think RFC has the time, energy or focus to write them.

May he enjoy his (semi-)retirement.
Post by Guillaume   » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:10 pm

Guillaume
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:Given the other projects and his understandable slow down in rate of production, it now looks, to me at least, like we will never get to a satisfactory end of the Safehold story. It would take 3 or 4 more books at least, I guess, and don't think RFC has the time, energy or focus to write them.

From what I understood of all the comments and hints around here and from other sources, he's going to handover most of his universes to trusted people to play with and keep Safehold for Himself. ( read handover as: he's going to let other write and just give broad hints on the stories. )

Safehold is the only universe where there's no second writer. ( there's several for Honorverse, Ringo for Dahak,Fox for Fury,... But nobody else for Safehold )
Post by boballab   » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:44 am

boballab
Captain of the List

Guillaume wrote:
Randomiser wrote:Given the other projects and his understandable slow down in rate of production, it now looks, to me at least, like we will never get to a satisfactory end of the Safehold story. It would take 3 or 4 more books at least, I guess, and don't think RFC has the time, energy or focus to write them.

From what I understood of all the comments and hints around here and from other sources, he's going to handover most of his universes to trusted people to play with and keep Safehold for Himself. ( read handover as: he's going to let other write and just give broad hints on the stories. )

Safehold is the only universe where there's no second writer. ( there's several for Honorverse, Ringo for Dahak,Fox for Fury,... But nobody else for Safehold )

You forgot the series that is the one he always wanted to do (which is now 1 book in "Sword of the South"), his Fantasy Magnum Opus and also has no outside authors set in the War God universe. That series would be the last one he turned over to other people.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:53 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

boballab wrote:You forgot the series that is the one he always wanted to do (which is now 1 book in "Sword of the South"), his Fantasy Magnum Opus and also has no outside authors set in the War God universe. That series would be the last one he turned over to other people.

I do hope that you are right - I must admit that series, esp SoTS is one of my favourites! :D :D

apropox of nothing: I see today is very symmetric [if you write dates in the proper way - DD/MM/YYYY]

[Edit] apparently today is 'happy twosday' and it is both a palindrome and an ambigram!.... never heard of an ambigram [\edit]
Post by fossten   » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:32 pm

fossten
Ensign

:cry: I hope David Weber takes his legacy seriously. He doesn't want to become what Robert Jordan became - despised. Jordan lost a ton of luster by not finishing Wheel of Time before he died because he milked the series too long. Not that Safehold appears to be milked, but there are a lot of people who will be justifiably aggravated if he doesn't wrap this up. I've personally recommended him to a ton of people who have subsequently read Safehold, and they are asking questions now. If Safehold doesn't get finished by Weber then I will never recommend an author again.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

fossten wrote::cry: I hope David Weber takes his legacy seriously. He doesn't want to become what Robert Jordan became - despised. Jordan lost a ton of luster by not finishing Wheel of Time before he died because he milked the series too long. Not that Safehold appears to be milked, but there are a lot of people who will be justifiably aggravated if he doesn't wrap this up. I've personally recommended him to a ton of people who have subsequently read Safehold, and they are asking questions now. If Safehold doesn't get finished by Weber then I will never recommend an author again.

I stopped reading the Wheel of Time Series at Book Two? Might have been Book Three ... but mainly I stopped because something in those books had given me the feeling that the author wasn't going to finish this. He had no planned ending, and somehow it showed.

Similar thing with the Assiti Shards series - I stopped reading it when something Eric Flint said in an interview made me realise he had no intention of letting the series end.

I've never had that feeling with Safehold; books, interviews, always give me the feeling David knows the ending. He knows the plot for the next book and he knows how the series should go.

If his health doesn't permit him to finish the Safehold series, then that's just how life goes. Given how hard he's been working recently at mentoring less well known authors and slowly turning his series over to other writers, I'd guess he has a potential someone in mind for Safehold if he can't finish it. He may also have a written outline for completion in a safe place.

But hopefully, he's going to be able to finish this one himself.
Post by ecortez   » Fri May 13, 2022 8:57 pm

ecortez
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Bluesqueak wrote:Similar thing with the Assiti Shards series - I stopped reading it when something Eric Flint said in an interview made me realise he had no intention of letting the series end.

That series has branched out so far, in the hands of so many authors, it would be hard to bring it all back together for a final conclusion. There was supposed to be a book or limited series where we actually got to meet the Assiti - somehow a group of them got dragged through space to Earth along with one of their shards. But as far as I can tell that story was abandoned.

Another one that really annoyed me was John Ringo's Hedren War - the continuation of his Posleen series. He published a single book, Eye of the Storm, back in 2009. The second and third books have supposedly been in the works since then. He even posted one teaser scene on his website from the second book. But 13 years have passed, so I assume it's never coming out.

Bluesqueak wrote:I've never had that feeling with Safehold; books, interviews, always give me the feeling David knows the ending. He knows the plot for the next book and he knows how the series should go.

Agreed. I doubt we're going to see that third sequence about the Gbaba War, but I hope David can at least complete the second sequence himself. Having someone else take over just wouldn't be the same!
Post by Louis R   » Fri May 13, 2022 11:19 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Ending the Assiti Shards books would be equivalent to ending history. Not happening, can't happen. Yes, I know some chap named Fukuyama claimed to have found the end of history. You might have noticed he missed it. Rather badly, in fact.

Eventually, people will stop reading the books, and people will stop writing them. That's as close to an end as you'll ever reach.

ecortez wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:Similar thing with the Assiti Shards series - I stopped reading it when something Eric Flint said in an interview made me realise he had no intention of letting the series end.

That series has branched out so far, in the hands of so many authors, it would be hard to bring it all back together for a final conclusion. There was supposed to be a book or limited series where we actually got to meet the Assiti - somehow a group of them got dragged through space to Earth along with one of their shards. But as far as I can tell that story was abandoned.

Another one that really annoyed me was John Ringo's Hedren War - the continuation of his Posleen series. He published a single book, Eye of the Storm, back in 2009. The second and third books have supposedly been in the works since then. He even posted one teaser scene on his website from the second book. But 13 years have passed, so I assume it's never coming out.

Bluesqueak wrote:I've never had that feeling with Safehold; books, interviews, always give me the feeling David knows the ending. He knows the plot for the next book and he knows how the series should go.

Agreed. I doubt we're going to see that third sequence about the Gbaba War, but I hope David can at least complete the second sequence himself. Having someone else take over just wouldn't be the same!
Post by Daryl   » Sat May 14, 2022 9:18 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

David wrote a hilarious fan fiction ending to Safehold, complete with FTL weapons, and Honor crossing over to help. It is on here if you want to find it.
Post by Crancy   » Sun May 15, 2022 12:06 am

Crancy
Midshipman

Daryl wrote:David wrote a hilarious fan fiction ending to Safehold, complete with FTL weapons, and Honor crossing over to help. It is on here if you want to find it.

When I saw your post i wanted to go back and re-read David's post of an alternative ending to the series. Found it, and it is a joy to see again. It is on page 3 of topics titled "How the Safehold series WON'T end." Worth a read as a reminder of what fun it is to read David's works, even when he is just messing around.

Return to Safehold