Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

The Althains

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
The Althains
Post by eldrwyrm   » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm

eldrwyrm
Lieutenant Commander

I'm listening to "Through Fiery Trials" for the 3rd or 4th time and I caught something this time that I've missed previously. In the prologue it says that in 2369, the TF discovered the first evidence of a non-human civilization. They were a warlike race called the Althains.

I wonder if these are the same Althains that appeared in the Empire of Man series. In that series, the Althains are bear-like creatures with a societal structure that mimics that of the Greek Amazons.
Re: The Althains
Post by Theemile   » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

eldrwyrm wrote:I'm listening to "Through Fiery Trials" for the 3rd or 4th time and I caught something this time that I've missed previously. In the prologue it says that in 2369, the TF discovered the first evidence of a non-human civilization. They were a warlike race called the Althains.

I wonder if these are the same Althains that appeared in the Empire of Man series. In that series, the Althains are bear-like creatures with a societal structure that mimics that of the Greek Amazons.

That's probably the race mentioned in the forward of Off Armageddon Reef. Their ruins were discovered 10 years prior to the mention on OAR (July 2378), and the race name was not known, due to the level of destruction. Their discovery was the impedius for the start of the human navy armament and the limited defenses that existed in 2378 when the Gabba appeared.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Re: The Althains
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:14 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

eldrwyrm wrote:I'm listening to "Through Fiery Trials" for the 3rd or 4th time and I caught something this time that I've missed previously. In the prologue it says that in 2369, the TF discovered the first evidence of a non-human civilization. They were a warlike race called the Althains.

I think it is just David Weber reusing names (e.g., there is a Manticore system in the Starfire universe; it is mentioned in _Crusade_).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)

Return to Safehold