Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Question about Sharonan Firearms

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Question about Sharonan Firearms
Post by ThisName1   » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:05 pm

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Mr.Privacy2 wrote:
Whatever it is, its gonna make the mythalans crazy and I'm gonna love that.

Be careful what you wish for, for all we know Gadrial just justified Sharonan genocide, in front of multiple high-ranking politicians and military commanders no less. That's definitely going to spice things up.

I think the only people that she justified genocide for is the mythalans. And they already were extremely anti-sharonian. I suspect that without the religious connotations the mythalans affix to magic, places like andara and ransar will react with fear of the unknown but also with a desire to understand.
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:01 pm

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

think the only people that she justified genocide for is the mythalans. And they already were extremely anti-sharonian. I suspect that without the religious connotations the mythalans affix to magic, places like andara and ransar will react with fear of the unknown but also with a desire to understand.

In a certain sense I disagree. Think of it this way: Arcanan society has revolved around and advanced through the use of magic. It is ingrained in every day life. How do you think they would react if a group of unknown people came along and can, by unknown means, shut off magic(or at the very least mess with it) without any explanation. I would imagine they would react poorly to that, regardless of national lines.

Granted, there will still be people will hold to the value of human life, particularly in the Ransaran and Garthan camps, but the Andarans will be split down the middle with the side who has lost faith in the old codes of honor of Andara maybe having a majority in numbers, and we saw at the beginning of the war, straight out of the gate they were more than willing to commit crimes against humanity.

To summarize, I think at least most of Arcanan society will be atleast somewhat sympathetic to the Mythalan's sentiment, if not outright their actions.
Post by ThisName1   » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:13 pm

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Mr.Privacy2 wrote:

In a certain sense I disagree. Think of it this way: Arcanan society has revolved around and advanced through the use of magic. It is ingrained in every day life. How do you think they would react if a group of unknown people came along and can, by unknown means, shut off magic(or at the very least mess with it) without any explanation.

Personally I don't think what gadriel found is that sharonians can shut off or mess with magic. I'm not sure what it is but I believe it has to do with the actual laws of nature, and the sharonian version of science.

One thing I've noticed about this forum is that most people here assume the worst when it comes to human reactions. I don't think that the first thing people will go for is genocide. Well, maybe the mythalans but not anyone else.

I do believe that whatever mul gurthaks plans are are going to be upset by gadriels revelation though.
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:48 pm

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

Personally I don't think what gadriel found is that sharonians can shut off or mess with magic. I'm not sure what it is but I believe it has to do with the actual laws of nature, and the sharonian version of science.

One thing I've noticed about this forum is that most people here assume the worst when it comes to human reactions. I don't think that the first thing people will go for is genocide. Well, maybe the mythalans but not anyone else.

I do believe that whatever mul gurthaks plans are are going to be upset by gadriels revelation though.

You might be right on the human reactions part, I really don't know how people will react to this.

Also regarding Gadrial's discovery, Is it me or are you too getting tired of nearly every conversation on this forum being diverted to figuring out what exactly happened? I mean its been seven years since the book came out and we still don't know what are the true implications of that scene. Granted, there are signs of the series being revived(again), and Mr. Weber is a busy man, but can we just please have a straight answer to this?

Return to Multiverse