Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Can the Arcanans go down the bottom of the ocean?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Can the Arcanans go down the bottom of the ocean?
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:37 am

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

There was an interesting point raised by Gadrial regarding the storage of djinn bottles, in that throwing them into the ocean would not work because someone could just use a underwater spell of some kind to retrieve it. This suggestion raises two points:

1. That the Arcanans have developed technology were a person on their own can traverse the deepest depths of the ocean despite the extreme pressures. or at the very least use a submarine-like vehicle to do so.

or 2. The Arcanans have not mapped the bottom of the ocean and have no technology to do so. granted they would atleast know some parts of the ocean is very deep, but still it would be hard to guess just how deep portions of the ocean go.

Any suggestions on this point?
Re: Can the Arcanans go down the bottom of the ocean?
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:46 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Mr.Privacy2 wrote:There was an interesting point raised by Gadrial regarding the storage of djinn bottles, in that throwing them into the ocean would not work because someone could just use a underwater spell of some kind to retrieve it. This suggestion raises two points:

1. That the Arcanans have developed technology were a person on their own can traverse the deepest depths of the ocean despite the extreme pressures. or at the very least use a submarine-like vehicle to do so.

or 2. The Arcanans have not mapped the bottom of the ocean and have no technology to do so. granted they would atleast know some parts of the ocean is very deep, but still it would be hard to guess just how deep portions of the ocean go.

Assuming the short story we got last year All orca go to heaven is part of the canon, I don't think the Arcanans know about undersea-portals. So that would hint to your 2nd point, else they would've discovered Sharona way earlier.
Post by ThisName1   » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:57 pm

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Mr.Privacy2 wrote:There was an interesting point raised by Gadrial regarding the storage of djinn bottles, in that throwing them into the ocean would not work because someone could just use a underwater spell of some kind to retrieve it. This suggestion raises two points:

I can't find any evidence of this in the book, but I assumed that arcanans used magic to locate and retrieve the bottles.
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:06 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

ThisName1 wrote:

I can't find any evidence of this in the book, but I assumed that arcanans used magic to locate and retrieve the bottles.

Wouldn't magic interact with the portals in one way or another? Provided there are undersea portals, of course. I mean- it's established that magic cannot work through portals - but how far does the interference factor of portal energy reach in the respective universe? 1 mile? 1 metre? 1 inch? And as a magister ever tried to work magic parallel to a portal while standing directly in front of it?
Post by Louis R   » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:53 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I don't have the impression that portals interfere with magic; I would say rather that you can only cast spells [or use Sharonan psionics, for that matter] on something in your world - which the far side of the portal isn't.

Unless there's a rather profound underlying connection between magic and psionics - which is certainly possible, as both involve imposing the mind and will of the practitioner on the physical world - the fact that both are blocked by portals would indicate that it's the nonlocality of the portal itself that is the issue.

Eagleeye wrote:
ThisName1 wrote:[

Wouldn't magic interact with the portals in one way or another? Provided there are undersea portals, of course. I mean- it's established that magic cannot work through portals - but how far does the interference factor of portal energy reach in the respective universe? 1 mile? 1 metre? 1 inch? And as a magister ever tried to work magic parallel to a portal while standing directly in front of it?

Return to Multiverse