Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Question regarding Jasak's Actions

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Question regarding Jasak's Actions
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:26 am

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

I have a question regarding Jasak's actions during his initial encounter with the Sharonans, regarding Garlith. In any other professional military (one without all of the unsaid honor rules of the Andarin military) would Jasak be facing sever punishment if not outright execution for knowingly putting an incompetent officer in charge in a situation against an unknown enemy with unknown capabilities and intentions, in an unknown region? I think the books almost outright say this but I am just asking to make sure.
Re: Question regarding Jasak's Actions
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:56 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Mr.Privacy2 wrote:I have a question regarding Jasak's actions during his initial encounter with the Sharonans, regarding Garlith. In any other professional military (one without all of the unsaid honor rules of the Andarin military) would Jasak be facing sever punishment if not outright execution for knowingly putting an incompetent officer in charge in a situation against an unknown enemy with unknown capabilities and intentions, in an unknown region? I think the books almost outright say this but I am just asking to make sure.

I don't think so. You have to work with the people you have, and if a key-person (like Fifty Garlith) is incompetent, but clever enough to hide his incompetence good enough that you as commanding officer doesn't have a chance to work around him (because nothing what happened so far surpassed the requirements you'd've needed to be able to initiate military court proceedings) - well, the only thing you can do is hope he doesn't screw the mission.
If Garlith had asked to be released - and Jasak had said no - that would be another case. But Jasak had offered to release him - which Garlith refused. So there was no legal handle for Jasak to take things in his own hands (or delegate them so someone competent like Sword Threbuch, for example).
Post by Mr.Privacy2   » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:12 pm

Mr.Privacy2
Midshipman

I don't think so. You have to work with the people you have, and if a key-person (like Fifty Garlith) is incompetent, but clever enough to hide his incompetence good enough that you as commanding officer doesn't have a chance to work around him (because nothing what happened so far surpassed the requirements you'd've needed to be able to initiate military court proceedings) - well, the only thing you can do is hope he doesn't screw the mission.

I mean I don't not doubt that Garlith was clever, but when the whole situation started, Garlith took 10-15 minutes with his unit just sitting there wondering what to do. Granted simple human error is probably not enough to relieve him, but you'd think Jasak would at least probe a little bit further(and quickly) into whether or not Garlith knew what he was doing.
Post by Terranovan   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:27 pm

Terranovan
Ensign

I might be late to the party saying this, but...
One key point of the reason that Jasak got court-martialed - as well as getting kicked out of the Union Army - is that a great many other Arcanans (inside and outside its armed forces) will be asking exactly this question and several other related ones. I don't remember if I read this in Road to Hell or in a post that RFC made on one of these forums.
I doubt that RFC will reply to this with anything more than a grin and "Tum, te, tum, te, tum..."

Return to Multiverse