Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Similarity to other David Weber works

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Similarity to other David Weber works
Post by orelsi   » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:38 pm

orelsi
Ensign

This is one of the few novels of his that I never tried reading. What would you say is the closest of his other novels/series, in any terms you like to make said comparison.

The "magical" aspect has always kept me at an arm's length, but some of the topics in the forum got me curios.
Re: Similarity to other David Weber works
Post by ThisName1   » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:11 pm

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Honestly I'd have to say the closest is the Honor Harrington series. It has the same sort of... feel? I guess you could call it? The difference between magic and tech feels to me like the divide between manticore and haven. I really love this series and hope they get back to it soon but it's been years since the last book and I'm not holding out hope for a new one any time soon.
Re: Similarity to other David Weber works
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:53 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Don't get hung up on the magic. View magic as a direct neural interface with technology and you will be very close how the books represent it. Between that and nano tech most of Arcana's magic is explained.

I would agree with orelsi on similar Weber novels. The Honorverse tells the story of a conflict between complex civilisations much like the Multiverse. The stories address similar themes weaving the characters together.

Return to Multiverse